Workout, Recovering from Grade 2 Ankle Sprain

Hello,
EDIT: Should probably add some backround info
I’m 18, senior in high school. Before the Injury had started doing WS4SB III for about 2-3 months.

I hurt my ankle playing basketball (grade II) and have been on crutches and an immobilizer for 2 weeks. The Doctor just allowed me to no longer use crutches and said to start going to physio.

Now, my ankle feels really weak and unstable so I was wondering if I should start doing leg exercises or wait for my ankle to be stronger? And if not, should I restart training my upper body? In wich case what should my workout look like? Thanks.

start training your upper body. I don’t say it much, but this may be a time for machine work on the legs to allow you to keep the strain off your ankle. Although I hate the leg extension and leg curl machine, it may help you retain some strength while you go to therapy.

Make sure you ask a shitload of questions to the physio and do exactly what he tells you to do at home.

I’ve had a bunch of ankle sprains on my right ankle, it hurts just remembering them all.

I will say this as a mostly unrelated sidenote: as far as complete recovery goes, I’ve FUCKING LOVED the slackline. Now the most important thing to remember about this is that I picked up this hobby well, well, well after my last ankle sprain and all recovery was done, when I felt strong. I also picked up the hobby because I thought it looked like fun, not to rehab my ankle, but I immediately noticed a stabilizing effect on my ankle and I’ve really not had any problems with it for a long time since learning how to slackline. Training the stabilizing muscles for the joint helps a lot. Balance training can help I think as well…Not usually a fan of the sort of unstable surface training bs, but I think there’s some merit for stabilizing muscle control and resulting joint stability, particularly for ankles. It still sucks for strength, power, and size though.

Thanks for the advice. Right now I am doing basic stability exercises(standing on one foot) that the physio gave me. Would it be too soon to start unilateral exercises? What should my upper body training look like?
Should I just do WS4SB but only do the uppder body? If yes, should I keep it a 2xweek or bump it up to 3xWeek?

[quote]forensic91 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Right now I am doing basic stability exercises(standing on one foot) that the physio gave me. Would it be too soon to start unilateral exercises? What should my upper body training look like?
Should I just do WS4SB but only do the uppder body? If yes, should I keep it a 2xweek or bump it up to 3xWeek? [/quote]

Just stick to the progressions that your physio gives you for the moment. It’s better to take your time and rehab properly than to rush it an just fuck it up all over again.

You could try the 3xweek ws4sb and see how you recover. You could altinate 3x week and 2x week. just for shits and giggles and to allow a little extra recovery. Your body will tell you if it can handle it or not.

Yeah, that might be what I’ll do. The physio said I wouldn’t be able to squat for a while because my ankle is so weak and because my ankle mobility on the sprained ankle is so aweful (it was bad in the first place and got worse with the injury). Now I have simple strengthening(with bands) and balance exercises. I will see how I recover with 5x Uppper body WS4SB workouts per 2 weeks like you said.