Workout Nutrition

I have always stuck to eating whole foods through out the days and never put much stock into using anytime of supplements around training. For those who do is there a difference? Is it something that should be taken advantage of I.E. fast acting carbs/protein pre-around-PWO.

I am pretty sensitive to dairy so was looking for something dairy free, example:

90-120 minutes Pre-workout:
Animal protein-50g pro and brown rice-50g carb.

15 min pre-workout and during:
Rice protein: 30g and potato starch or coconut water kefir: 30-50g carb

15-30 min after training:
Rice protein: 50g and potato starch or coconut water kefir: 30-50g carbs

Any suggestions maybe more carbs pre/during?

I have been eating most of my carbs pre for the past two weeks usually 150-200g from brown rice but, since it all comes from whole food in addition to the protein and fat it can be a bit to filling.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
I have always stuck to eating whole foods through out the days and never put much stock into using anytime of supplements around training. For those who do is there a difference? Is it something that should be taken advantage of I.E. fast acting carbs/protein pre-around-PWO.

I am pretty sensitive to dairy so was looking for something dairy free, example:

90-120 minutes Pre-workout:
Animal protein-50g pro and brown rice-50g carb.

15 min pre-workout and during:
Rice protein: 30g and potato starch or coconut water kefir: 30-50g carb

15-30 min after training:
Rice protein: 50g and potato starch or coconut water kefir: 30-50g carbs

Any suggestions maybe more carbs pre/during?

I have been eating most of my carbs pre for the past two weeks usually 150-200g from brown rice but, since it all comes from whole food in addition to the protein and fat it can be a bit to filling.
[/quote]

These are two great articles by John Meadows that have some great info on whole food peri-workout choices, among other things and a great overall read IMO.

To answer your question if peri-workout nutrition formulas like Surge Recovery, Surge Workout Fuel, Anaconda and Plazma are worth it. Well, they can certainly make things easier as they take out the guesswork and preparation of making that meal.

I, over the years slowly graduated to these products, i used to just have things like tuna on wheat or oatmeal/PB/Whey pre-training and would have nothing during. It was always a pain in the ass guesswork job for me to find a meal that would not make my stomach upset in some fashion during. The above products eliminated those types of issues for me.

But the main thing is at least having something during that time, even if you don’t spend the money on those products. As we are finding through more in the trenches work its pretty much the one time of day you don’t want to screw up and if you get it right you will still probably grow despite what you may screw up at other times of the day.

The only way you’ll know if they are worth it is to experiment with one of them and compare it to what you’ve been doing. But of course they are never necessary but they can make things a whole lot easier for sure, just my 2cents though.