Workout Ideas

I’m a younger guy raised in the Old School training methods. I’ve been out of athletics for 3 years, but I’ve never stopped lifting. However, I’m really looking for the leaner-athletic muscle from the high school days. I’ve dropped my calorie intake by maybe 500 calories.

Recently, I’ve shortened my workouts, but raised the amount of repititions per exercise. Any personal experiences or specific ideas about which programs I should try would be awesome!

Westside for Skinny Bastards is a good athletic program. You could also try some of CW’s stuff (ABBH, WM, AOW, HH, SFM, TBT), Dan John’s One-Lift-A-Day program or CT’s new Renaissance program (I’m currently using that).

What’s the renassiance program all about?? I’m really looking for a routine outside my norm of chest, shoulders, triceps abs, day 2 run,day 3 legs, back, bicep,abs, day 4 run, day 5 chest,shoulders, triceps, abs, day 6 legs, back, biceps, abs… It’s so hard to get out of the same regimen when you taught this is the only way to ensure every muscle is excercised.

Any of Chad Waterbury’s workouts will do. Do a search for Anti-bodybuilding Hypertrophy program (ABBH) or Total Body Training (TBT).

For something completely different, you can try Charles Staley’s Escalating Density Training (EDT, there’re a few articles) or Dan John’s One Lift a Day (OLAD).

If all you did previously was a typical BB split (chest/biceps etc.) then start conservatively (with less weight on the bar) and do them exactly as written.

[quote]Cdub12 wrote:
What’s the renassiance program all about?? I’m really looking for a routine outside my norm of chest, shoulders, triceps abs, day 2 run,day 3 legs, back, bicep,abs, day 4 run, day 5 chest,shoulders, triceps, abs, day 6 legs, back, biceps, abs… It’s so hard to get out of the same regimen when you taught this is the only way to ensure every muscle is excercised.[/quote]

Here it is:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=700722

This is how I set up the program for me for the first 4 weeks (exercises and sets/reps will change for the following 4 weeks):

Agility Work
Jump rope (2-3 sets)

Day 1 (7,5,3,5,5)
Back Squat
Barbell Bench
Barbell Row

Day 2 (2x5, 3x3)
Power Cleans
Barbell Hack Squat
Push Press

Day 3 (5,5,4,4,3,2)
Deadlift
V-grip Chins
Close-grip bench

GPP:
Sled drags
Sandbag lift/carry
Farmer?s walks or car pushes

ESW:
Cardio (20-30 mins) or,
Sprints 3x30, 1-2x60

wad up every1 i wonder if some1 can help me, i have alwayz been an athlete but fo about a year now i ve been goin to the gym everything is alright, everything but my right chest tha is smaller then the left one and am right handed, i dunno wat to do could some1 email sum ideaz it would b highly appriciated…
thankz

J.