T Nation

Workout: I Made It Up!

Went down to workout last night. Just finished a program last week and am going on vacation next week, taking a 10 day break from lifting.

So this week I’m kinda just making things up as I go. This particular workout, consisting of movements I do not do often, freaking killed me. Thought I’d share it:

Hang Clean (done from the high hang/upper thigh):

110 x 5
130 x 5
154 x 5
176 x 5
191 x 5
201 x 5
211 x 5
220 x 5
176 x 5
196 x 5
206 x 5
216 x 5
226 x 5
242 x 5

One-Hand Dumbbell Snatch

60 x 10 (for each hand/all sets)
80 x 8
90 x 6
100 x 4
70 x 10
90 x 8
110 x 4
120 x 2
120 x 2

Box Front Squat

176 x 2
220 x 2
264 x 2
297 x 2
319 x 2
340 x 2
352 x 2
363 x 2
319 x 1
330 x 1
352 x 1
374 x 1
385 x 1

Height Jumps x 8 (3 Sets)

Lateral Jumps x 4 (over box / 3 Sets)

Standing Broad Jump x 2 (6 Sets)

Your’e kidding right? Please tell me you are just making that up. 48 sets (if I counted correctly) is a bit excessive, and 13 or 14 sets of a single exercise? This is just a joke, right?

I think you’re under-training. You might want to think about adding 60 sets of squats and 40 sets of deadlifts. Make sure you use you 5RM weight and get at leat 5 reps every set.

Looks to me like your just going through the motions.

impressive volume lol. do you normall use so much volume in your routines?

LMAO at the clowns on this thread.

I think that workout looks like fun.

You other guys should cross-reference your GPP-indicators vs. the Prilipin intensity chart and plot the density on the z-axis.

[quote]Eidolos wrote:
LMAO at the clowns on this thread.

I think that workout looks like fun.

You other guys should cross-reference your GPP-indicators vs. the Prilipin intensity chart and plot the density on the z-axis.[/quote]

Holy shit, I hope I didn’t miscalculate, but I just invested all my money in penny stocks based on this analysis.

[quote]Go heavy fool wrote:
I think you’re under-training. You might want to think about adding 60 sets of squats and 40 sets of deadlifts. Make sure you use you 5RM weight and get at leat 5 reps every set.

Looks to me like your just going through the motions.[/quote]

well. it is not what i normally do but it’s not that far off. these are more or less ‘odd’ exercises for me and i just wanted to share it. i cut and pasted from my log. maybe i shouldn’t have and just mentioned the exercises.

essentially, i am used this kind of volume. i recently took a break from competitive o-lifting and this is volume that i’m fairly familiar with.

the 110 kg. power cleans from the hang are pretty light and i was focusing on moving quickly. the dumbbell snathes were moderate weight. boarding on heavy, actually. i went with them as long as i did because i have not done them in a few years and i was having fun. the box front squats were high intensity.

no it’s not a joke. i’v been doing higher volume reps lately and fewer sets. this more what i’m used to, where my roots are.

the workout took 75 minutes. i also listed all of my warmups. basically every set i did. and the idea was to do a lot of volume because i have a 10 day break. but i tolerate a lot of volume and have thrived on a lot of work and not much rest for years. my coach determined that and my programs were designed accordingly, although, this workout is more volume than i would have typically done during meet-prep.

a typical workout of this type for me in my most recent cycle is here:

Power Clean:

Warm-Up

bar x whatever
132 x 5
176 x 3
220 x 3
242 x 3

Work Sets
264 x 3
286 x 3
297 x 2
308 x 1

Snatch Pull:

286 x 5
308 x 3
330 x 2
352 x 2

Back Squat

Warm-Up
220 x 8
286 x 5
330 x 3
374 x 3

Work Sets
418 x 3
440 x 3
462 x 3
484 x 3
495 x 3

Does this still seem like excessive volume? I’ll admit, I tend to sneak up on my max sets a bit since I turned 35.

Ok, your typical workout actually looks quite normal. I probably shouldn’t have assumed that all of your sets were working sets, based on the weights you were using. I would question how close in weight your last warm-up set is compared to your first working set (i.e. power cleans 242 vs 264). Do you find there is much of a difference? Same with squats 374 vs 418

If not, do you think you might benefit from eliminating your last warm-up and throwing in another working set somewhere towards the end when you are getting into the heavy weights?

Box front squats… hmm. For some reason I had always thought that these weren’t meant to be done. Got a new ME exercise. :slight_smile:

[quote]Modi wrote:
Your’e kidding right? Please tell me you are just making that up. 48 sets (if I counted correctly) is a bit excessive, and 13 or 14 sets of a single exercise? This is just a joke, right?[/quote]

the only good thing i see coming out of this program is the fact that hes going to have a ten day rest period the next week. hes overreaching. ok my mongrooooowlian fweeend (sorry im watchin some south park)

[quote]Modi wrote:
Ok, your typical workout actually looks quite normal. I probably shouldn’t have assumed that all of your sets were working sets, based on the weights you were using. I would question how close in weight your last warm-up set is compared to your first working set (i.e. power cleans 242 vs 264). Do you find there is much of a difference? Same with squats 374 vs 418

If not, do you think you might benefit from eliminating your last warm-up and throwing in another working set somewhere towards the end when you are getting into the heavy weights? [/quote]

well. i take those small jumps sometimes in order to get some volume. i can tolerate limit or near limit work like i used to. so i tend to creep up on my max work. not ideal but it seems the exta work helps me and i tend to handle those heavy weights more easily when i’ve approached them with smaller jumps. not ideal, i know. but it’s what age has done, i suppose.

[quote]nopal_juventus wrote:
Box front squats… hmm. For some reason I had always thought that these weren’t meant to be done. Got a new ME exercise. :)[/quote]

yeah. try them out. i don’t know if anyone does them out there. but i got the box when i started training at home primarily. seems to hit my quads fairly had and it helped me eliminate my high sticking poing in recovering from cleans. box front squats with chains are probably the main reason that i can now accelerate from around parallel on up where as i used to stall out a bit and struggle. this has also improved my jerk (both from being less fatigued after recover and - seemingly - improving my dip/drive).

[quote]Easy E wrote:
Modi wrote:
Your’e kidding right? Please tell me you are just making that up. 48 sets (if I counted correctly) is a bit excessive, and 13 or 14 sets of a single exercise? This is just a joke, right?

the only good thing i see coming out of this program is the fact that hes going to have a ten day rest period the next week. hes overreaching. ok my mongrooooowlian fweeend (sorry im watchin some south park)[/quote]

that was kind of the idea. obviously it’s not a program, per se. just one workout, out of a pre-planned cycle. recovery from it was not out of the ordinary. managed a good 20 rep (full/raw) back squat set last night (155 kg.) with no residual soreness to speak of. maybe a bit of general fatigue. i also NEVER do 20 reps squats. just wanted to hit something different before my break.

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
Easy E wrote:
Modi wrote:
Your’e kidding right? Please tell me you are just making that up. 48 sets (if I counted correctly) is a bit excessive, and 13 or 14 sets of a single exercise? This is just a joke, right?

the only good thing i see coming out of this program is the fact that hes going to have a ten day rest period the next week. hes overreaching. ok my mongrooooowlian fweeend (sorry im watchin some south park)

that was kind of the idea. obviously it’s not a program, per se. just one workout, out of a pre-planned cycle. recovery from it was not out of the ordinary. managed a good 20 rep (full/raw) back squat set last night (155 kg.) with no residual soreness to speak of. maybe a bit of general fatigue. i also NEVER do 20 reps squats. just wanted to hit something different before my break.
[/quote]

You shouldn’t really have to explain yourself, this doesn’t look much different than the examples given for wave loading in a recent article.