Workout Help

I’m a college student doing Navy ROTC (Marine Option) and I’ve been trying to put on weight, mainly muscle mass, for sometime. Every morning we’re up at 530 running or doing cardio/cals for about 1 1/2 hr. Later in the day I lift for about the same time and highlight a different body group 4 times a week.

Is the running and what not counterproductive? also, I constantly hear you have to ‘eat big to get big’, but no matter what I can’t seem to put any weight on this 140lb frame. Any suggestions?

[quote]DevildogHopeful wrote:
I’m a college student doing Navy ROTC (Marine Option) and I’ve been trying to put on weight, mainly muscle mass, for sometime. Every morning we’re up at 530 running or doing cardio/cals for about 1 1/2 hr. Later in the day I lift for about the same time and highlight a different body group 4 times a week.

Is the running and what not counterproductive? also, I constantly hear you have to ‘eat big to get big’, but no matter what I can’t seem to put any weight on this 140lb frame. Any suggestions?[/quote]

In order to gain mass, you need to put more calories in to your body than you use. Doing 1 1/2 hours of cardio every morning along with lifting for 1 1/2 hours 4 times a week requires a massive amount of calories, especially since you are a young male.

If you want to gain, you need to cut back on the activity (the early morning cardio is probably mandatory though), and you need to eat a lot more.

Have you ever counted your calories before? Get an estimate of how many calories you need a day based on your age, sex, weight, and activity level and try to consume that every day.

Good luck on eating…with that much mandatory activity, it will be extremely tough to gain.

[quote]smallmike wrote:
DevildogHopeful wrote:

Is the running and what not counterproductive? also, I constantly hear you have to ‘eat big to get big’, but no matter what I can’t seem to put any weight on this 140lb frame. Any suggestions?

In order to gain mass, you need to put more calories in to your body than you use. Doing 1 1/2 hours of cardio every morning along with lifting for 1 1/2 hours 4 times a week requires a massive amount of calories, especially since you are a young male.

If you want to gain, you need to cut back on the activity (the early morning cardio is probably mandatory though), and you need to eat a lot more.

Have you ever counted your calories before? Get an estimate of how many calories you need a day based on your age, sex, weight, and activity level and try to consume that every day.

Good luck on eating…with that much mandatory activity, it will be extremely tough to gain.[/quote]

what this guy said plus, never say you can never put on weight. eat a lot.