T Nation

Workout Good for Mass?

I started lifting about 2 months ago but made some mistakes and did a tonna isolation exercises and saw no results. Last week i discovered my mistake and changed it up. I am going for mass and want to know if this workout is good for that goal before i discover i screwed up again.I only have a bench and 300 pound barbell set. I am also eating a high caloric and clean diet and currently taking creatine and protein im 6’0 145ish. Thanks

Bench Press- 4x6
   Bent Row- 4x6
   Military Press- 4x6
   Deadlifts- 4x6
   Front Squat- 4x6
   Straight bar curl- 4x6

50 seconds rest in between sets

Dude i’m in the same situation you are. Seems to me you are doing a full body workout seems fine with me if anything. But I changed mines up a lil bit. But as far as I can see it would be alright by me. Like someone told me on here Lift, Eat, Rest, Learn.

[quote]Calvbw wrote:
I started lifting about 2 months ago but made some mistakes and did a tonna isolation exercises and saw no results. Last week i discovered my mistake and changed it up. I am going for mass and want to know if this workout is good for that goal before i discover i screwed up again.I only have a bench and 300 pound barbell set. I am also eating a high caloric and clean diet and currently taking creatine and protein im 6’0 145ish. Thanks

Bench Press- 4x6
   Bent Row- 4x6
   Military Press- 4x6
   Deadlifts- 4x6
   Front Squat- 4x6
   Straight bar curl- 4x6

50 seconds rest in between sets[/quote]

Since you’re doing such low reps, you should probably increase your rest time a little. 90-120 seconds is good, but you will probably need the higher end of that since you’re ranges are focused towards strength rather than size.

I’ve never really looked into doing TBWs, but you seem to be hitting all the areas, so it looks okay. At your size all that matters is that you add a good solid amount of muscular body weight.

[quote]Calvbw wrote:

Bench Press- 4x6
   Bent Row- 4x6
   Military Press- 4x6
   Deadlifts- 4x6
   Front Squat- 4x6
   Straight bar curl- 4x6

That workout looks good. But you should have at least 1 more workout to do or you might stall out fast.

taking your current workout you could do this:

Close Grip Bench
Varing Grip Width Bent Over Row (if your doing narrow one day, make it wide the next)
Push Press
Deadlift variation (sumo, deficit, stiff leg etc…)
Back Squat
Overhead Tricep extension.

Other things:
Hang Cleans
Clean & Press
Reverse Lunges
Overhead Squat
Ab roller (put 10s on the bar and use it like that)

Look up “barbell complex” here and check out the results.

good luck!

[quote]Calvbw wrote:
Bench Press- 4x6
Bent Row- 4x6
Military Press- 4x6
Deadlifts- 4x6
Front Squat- 4x6
Straight bar curl- 4x6

That’s not a “bad” program overall. How many days a week are you training? I’d increase the rest a bit, to make sure you’re only fatiguing yourself due to the weights, and not the short rest. Stick with it for a month or so and see how much bodyweight you gain.

After that, you can switch things up a bit more. I’d go something like, training three days a week alternating workouts each time:

Day One
Deadlift 6x3-4
Bench press 5x4-6
Barbell row 5x4-6
Reverse curl 2x12
Triceps extension 2x12
Random ab exercise 3x8-10

Day Two
Front squat 6x3-4 (power clean the bar into position on the first rep of each set)
Step-up 3x8-10
Hang clean 5x4-6
Shoulder press 5x4-6

What exactly does this mean? Can you list, specifically, everything you ate yesterday?

[quote]B rock wrote:
Look up “barbell complex” here and check out the results. [/quote]

Barbell complexes have nothing to do with training for size. They’re great for conditioning and fat loss, but that’s pretty close to the opposite of what this dude wants.