T Nation

Workout From Dave Draper, Thoughts?

I just wanted to get some people's thoughts on this workout routine. It's from Dave Draper's official site, and he created it to burn fat and not target any specific are for mass muscle growth.

DAILY

MID SECTION & AEROBIC WORK
20 minutes of intense cardio
Crunches, Leg Raises, Rope Tuck, Hyperextensions

MONDAY/WEDNESDAY/FRIDAY

UPPER BODY
Dumbbell Chest Press (3x8-12)
Wide Grip Pulldown (3x8-12)
Dumbbell Incline Press (3x8-12)
Seated Lat Row (3x8-12)
Dumbbell Shoulder Press (3x8-12)
Dumbbell Incline Curls (3x8-12)
Dips or Triceps Press Machine (3x8-12)
Pulley Pushdown (3x10-12)

TUESDAY/THURSDAY/SATURDAY

LOWER BODY
Squats or Leg Press (4x12, 10, 8, 6)
Stiff Legged Deadlift (4x10-12)

Leg Extension (4x12)
supersetted with
Leg Curl (4x10-12)

Calf Raise (4x15)

It seems kind of contradictary to what a lot of authors on here would write about, but maybe that's just me. It is Dave Draper so I would assume he would know what he's talking about.

Any comments on if this is a pretty decent routine for cutting fat and developing an decent overall muscle base?

I'm going to tell you right now that the amount of volume there will break you. Dave is a very advanced lifter who spent a lot of time using AAS. Take what he says with a grain of salt. It sounds like you are new to the game, so I would suggest something like ABBH that covers the basic movements. Also, if you're planning on cutting and gaining muscle you will find that those two goals go against each other.

New in a sense of working out and eating correctly in the total package. I've been lifting for over a year, but it was a workout routine that my father in law gave me that wasn't all that great. I'm familiar with lifting though, so I'm not totally new.

As for cutting/gaining at the same time, that's not exactly what I meant. More of a cutting program that will keep what muscle I have while gaining a little strength along the way.

Um...you're new.

OK, gotcha. Everyone does it their own way, but I think you'll find most lean towards a total body workout 2 to 4 times a week with less volume per workout and an emphasis on compound movements when cutting. As you said, maintaining your strength should be the objective while going hypo-caloric, so you want to move more towards the strength end of the rep ranges.

Chad Waterbury is giving an 8 week program in the author's locker room intended to lose fat for the summer that you should check out.

listen to this advice. don't be one of those dumbass kids who tries to take some famous bodybuilder's routine. we've all done it before as noobs/kids , learn from our mistakes.

focus on the basics, get strong at those fundamental compound movements, then you can graduate into adding isolation movements and higher volume and frequency.

i wouldn't even say that that workout is really an insane amount of volume, but we all know that bodybuilding type routines are usually focused on lifting weights until the point muscular failure/complete exhaustion on tons of sets and day after day.

that's the biggest thing you wanna avoid. i also hate higher reps which is what's advocated here, but that's just me.

doing sets of 8-12 really won't get you too much stronger. especially if your objective is to echaust yourself each and every workout.

Winner. I checked that out and it looks awesome. Thanks for the heads-up!

No problem!

Thats funny cause last time I looked Coleman, Cutler, Dexter, Cormier, Levrone, Ruhl, and almost every other IFBB pro stays with at least 8 reps. Granted 3-5 will give better and faster strength gain but absolute bullshit you can't get strong on 8-12 reps.

A note on the original workout posted is that Dave suggests adding a set to his first two upper exercises, and to his squats each week up to 8 sets. (Or to whichever exercise you need to prioritize most). Then he would go back down to 3 for 2-4 weeks at a heavier weight and then gradually adding back up to 8 sets.

This does seem like a lot of volume. You have only been training a year. In my book, you are still a beginner.

Having said that, there are a lot of people on this site who have very set notions of what is a good workout and what isn't, and what is overtraining and what isn't. But really, only with time and experimentation can you find the amount of training and type of training that is appropriate for you. I recently tried Chad Waterbury's High Frequency Training program, and I was skeptical about training a bodypart 4X a week with moderate volume each day, but that approach worked for my lower body. I made great gains. I have a friend, who made his best gains while training the SAME bodyparts every day for two weeks. You read right. I have another friend who makes great gains copying the programs of professional bodybuilders, ie. traditional 4 day or 5 day bodypart training, which doesn't work for me. At this stage in your training you are unlikely to know what works or not. But you could give this workout a try. At the least, it would make you mentally tough and get you burning a lot of calories 6 times a week. One reason Dave Draper may have posted this program as a way to lose fat, is that, hey, it is a high volume of work, and you will have to burn a lot of calories to complete it. Only a very few could grow on this program though.

If anyone wants to criticize Dave Draper because some of his ideas run contrary to their personal gods on this site, bring it. The man is one of the greats of BB, and is a fantastic genuine guy. Anyway, enough.

That's funny, because the last time I checked, those IFBB pros were running over 2 grams a week, plus GH & slin. You could probably gain strength on a 20 rep protocol with the proper medication.

That looks like way too much what about chopping it up like this, using the same upper body / lower body workouts

Monday Upper body
Tuesday Mid section and Aerobics
Weds Lower body
Thursday Mid section and Aerobics
Friday Upper body
Saturday Mid section and Aerobics
Sunday have a rest

... then

Monday Lower Body (ie switches itself around)

Just a thought.

You could follow the workout as it was but maybe use lighter weights, but then, what is the point

You get the picture

Excellent post!

We are all very different in many ways. This means that what works for you might not work well for someone else.

That is not to say that there are not certain "truisms" that work for most.

you've forgotten the pharmaceutical component. without the AAS, those pros wouldn't be making those kinds of gains with that kind of training protocol.