T Nation

Workout Frequency and DOMS

First a little background. I’m 33 a year old reformed couch potato, and type 2 diabetic.

I have been working out with serious intent for about 3 months. I’m making decent gains and have been able to get off of the diabetes meds. The thing is that for the last four weeks I have been using a total body workout that I want to do three times a week. However I’m having a lot of trouble with DOMS but only in my legs. The soreness forces me to only workout once or twice a week.

Should I reduce intensity, go back to split routine, or will my legs catch up to my upper body at some point if I tough it out? (I could work upper every other day) The thing is I am making visible gains even with the reduced frequency, because I make sure I give it everything I’ve got.

But more frequent exercise means better blood sugar control. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Keep at it maybe drop the volume a bit until you can handle it. But you can and should work through some minor soreness you will adapt and be able to recover faster in time

Phill

Thanks. I’ve been pushing to increase the weight on all lifts at every workout and I have been able to do it successfully. Maybe I’ll try keeping the weight the same for the next couple and see what happens? Or would it be better to increase weight and do fewer reps/sets? I’m over thinking this aren’t I.

[quote]nvrsatysfyd wrote:
Thanks. I’ve been pushing to increase the weight on all lifts at every workout and I have been able to do it successfully. Maybe I’ll try keeping the weight the same for the next couple and see what happens? Or would it be better to increase weight and do fewer reps/sets? I’m over thinking this aren’t I.[/quote]

You have discovered one of the most important training principles. That is, you need to work out what works for YOU. The only way to do this is to experiment. Bear in mind that this is a life long process. What works now will not necessarily work in 2,3 or 10 years time.

Having said that, if you are still able to increase the weight each training session, I would keep doing that until it doesn’t work. Then you can think about whether to drop reps or sets while continuing to increase the weights, or start a new cycle.

BTW, this (cycling) is another important principle. Despite the legend of Milo, we can’t just keep progressing indefinitely. At times you will have to back off and build up again.