Workout For Serial Traveller

Wondering if can get some advice from any other serial travelers here?

Challenge:

I am away on business every second week, sometimes the hotels will have weights, sometimes cardio machines, sometimes neither. (cant pick and chose a hotel that does due to cost)

Depending on the situation I dont always rent a car so usually the hotel is often my only option for workouts

This will be the situation for at least the next 2 years.

When I am at home, I have full gym access.

Wondering how people have dealt with this in the past for gaining muscle or losing fat. Is there any point trying to follow a program or set/ rep scheme of any kind?

right now I just lift heavy when I am at home, and try bodyweight/ machines while im away.

any other suggestions?

CT a year or two ago had a great artilce on w/os in less than optimal gyms etc while traveling do an author search.

Main thign do something work hard its all good. Maybe get some bands.

Phill

There are plenty of options if you get creative and improvise using objects around you.

For the lower body, pistols, stepups and lunge variations using objects like chairs held overhead can provide very sturdy resistance.

For the upperbody things can sometimes get more difficult. Blast straps (from EFS) are a great option if you’re frequently able to find an overhead bar able to support your bodyweight, though this is the biggest difficulty I normally find. Otherwise, one arm pushups, pushups with objects on your back and feet elevated, handstand (feet on the wall) pushups, supine rows off the bottom of a desk, planches, levers and other gymnastic exercises are all options. Use one arm, worse leverage, or a piece of furniture to increase resistance.

Push-ups, railing dips, and hand-stand presses (if you’re lean enough) are all good starts.

For the legs, try walking lunges in your room or in the parking lot and some one-legged calf raises. Perhaps some good mornings with your suitcase?

Some dynamic isometric movements can get your biceps and triceps motivated (one palm up and the other down).

I also saw a chin-up/sit-up bar at Academy yesterday that was really light weight.

You’e only limited by your imagination.

[quote]Phill wrote:
CT a year or two ago had a great artilce on w/os in less than optimal gyms etc while traveling do an author search.

Main thign do something work hard its all good. Maybe get some bands.[/quote]

Both good calls.

Thib’s Macguyver Workout:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459514

Iron Woody bands:
http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/fitness-bands.php

And like the others have said, get familiar with a variety of bodyweight exercises.

[quote]steveo_ wrote:
Is there any point trying to follow a program or set/ rep scheme of any kind? [/quote]
Definitely. Especially if you know ahead of time what your travel schedule is going to be like, you can specifically plan your training program to include those types of workouts.

For example, if you’re traveling every other week (which means you’ll have your home gym every other week), plan a week of higher rep workouts for when you’re away and a week of heavier, lower rep workouts when you’re home.

It’s better to plan ahead and do the workouts on purpose, instead of “accidentally” having to compromise your training.

[quote]steveo_ wrote:
Is there any point trying to follow a program or set/ rep scheme of any kind?
Definitely. Especially if you know ahead of time what your travel schedule is going to be like, you can specifically plan your training program to include those types of workouts.

For example, if you’re traveling every other week (which means you’ll have your home gym every other week), plan a week of higher rep workouts for when you’re away and a week of heavier, lower rep workouts when you’re home.

It’s better to plan ahead and do the workouts on purpose, instead of “accidentally” having to compromise your training.[/quote]

Thanks, this is what i have been basically doing. Whenever I see heavy weights - low rep, whenever I have machines - high rep

I try a lot of bodyweight stuff also, I guess I kinda knew there was no magic solution, just a sanity check as I cant be the only one in this situation.

Cheers