T Nation

Workout for Men Over 50

Hello. This is my first time on this website. I am a retired us navy guy over 50 years old. I use to work out all the time. After I turned 50 my knees and back have gotten bad. I can not run anymore ( which was my passion). I still go to the gym and get on the elliptical/ ride an indoor bike and lift light weights 3 days a week but it has be come harder to loose weight and I do not get the same experience I did back then. I feel I am falling into a rut. Is anybody that has some advice on how a person can over come that

Give us some more info.
The weight loss thing is mostly diet, but as far as lifting, can you do basic barbell lifts?
(I’m 52)

Yes. I have not worked out with free weights I a long time but I can start that

Although you’re over 50, how much intensity do you bring to the gym while you’re in there? Would you consider yourself in there to get busy, or more like the just “going through the motions” type? That’s a question more for you to answer for yourself than to tell us. But like bighdx said, its most likely your diet. Clean it up first and foremost, then dial it up a bit in the gym if you body allows it.

Being retired, you should have time to get some serious workouts in. It’s going to be a lot of fun. Focus on eating a lot of protein and keep the amount of carbs down.
In the main page, use the search engine to pick a routine. As long as you put in the effort, eat, get sleep, most any of them will work.

The #1 piece of advice that I can give is to have a goal.

I just started lifting seriously last fall, and this Forum has been a great source of information and inspiration for me. I’m 51 and the advice I’ve gotten as enabled me to make some great strides and, more importantly, learn to respect the art of moving heavy things all the more.

If you’re just getting back into the swing of things on a serious basis, consider a starting a training log. It’s a nice way of keeping yourself accountable and inspiring yourself with your progress.

Good luck!