Workout for Losing Fat, Getting Big?

Well i started my workout about 4 weeks ago. I started at 244 pounds and went down to 227 the first week, it was mostly water weight since i used to do boxing and i can always cut water weight off me easily. Now in the last 3 weeks i have gone down to 215 so about 4 pounds a week which is reasonable counting i go the gym 4-5 days a week and work out for a little over an hour everytime. Now i am set with my diet and i no longer need help with that, i believe i have read enough to know what i should eat so this is just a broad question concerning a workout program for someone going to the gym 4-5 times a week.

I will give you some backroung info to help you:

I just turned 17 and i have played about every sport you can imgine but never seriously. I played basketball as defence, same for football and soccer. I also used to box, had a 2-0 record and fought at 205, so i have some background but not in weightlifting.

Here are some stats that may help you determin more on the workout:

Bench 1RM- 140
Squat 1RM- 350 (Real Squat)
Deadlift 1RM- 300
Leg Press 1RM- ?? (Did 1000 pounds 10 reps, full motion)

I would consider my legs to be real strong, but my uperbody is lacking, this is really visible becuase my legs are well defined and are muscular as hell with almost no fat, while my upperbody looks like it doesnt fit in the equation. So i was wondering what a 5 day workout shoudl look like. I may also add that i do cardio everyday. i can do a mile in 8 minutes and run at a constant pace 7mph for about 25 minutes.

Things that i really want to get rid of: Fat on my chest
man boobs), Gut, little on the arms, and my love handles.

As you can see it is very hard to follor programs around when most are dedicated towards real strong people and i am not there yet. So any help would be appreciated.

My goal would be to be big(240lb) but exchage my fat to muscle. Shoudl i lift weights for now and drop the cardio? Do cardio only to lose the fat first? Do both? What excercice will help my upper body strenght?

One last question concerns supplements… do you guys reccomend any supplements from this site and which ones and for what reason. I once again will like to thank everyone in advance.

first off why do you wanna do a 4-5 days workout plan? some things work better for beginners with less days. anyway someone can help you on that, i cant.

and uhm… thats really weird… 140 bench and 350 squat?? if thats a real squat as you say then good job but you have quite an imbalance…

do some deadlifts, bench press, pull ups, rows, dips, overhead press.

as for your legs, im not even sure if you should do any for a while. they are way way strong compared to other stuff. your deadlift should be 400 at least, your bench press at least 200 if not 250 to gain balance. anyway most likely your bench press will increase to 200 very quickly, and deadlift increases pretty quick anyway.its kinda weird that you go boxing yet your bench is 140.

right now lift weights, eat lots, do some cardio before breakfast to keep some fat off.(eating as clean as possible helps too, but if you arent eating enough then its not worht it) if you still go boxing, then forget the cardio. you’ll get lots of it during boxing anyway

as for the supplements i havent taken any, i only have some normal protein whey. ive heard some of them being repeated. fish oil, whey(duh), Surge, and idk what else haha.

but you dont really need any of them as a beginner, except for the whey. get your program and diet right first

Appreciate the quick response, i also tought it was weird, im pretty sure i can squat over 350 just havent tried yet, but yea my bench sucks ass. Another thing, by lifting a lot will this fat come off, or will i just build muscle under the fat and look fatter? Thanks again. And any specific article you reccomend for me?

well for the first few months you’ll actually “look better” aesthetically. you’ll build muscle pretty fast. personally i didnt even feel i had chest muscles before i started, not i can feel them everywhere. my moobs are gone. hahah.

anyway, read around a lot. there is much to learn.

look up starting strength by mark rippetoe… though for you and your legs im not sure what to do with that.

now the fat there are a bunch of ways to keep it off, to a point while bulking up. doing cardio on an empty stomach will help. if you lose 500 cals then thats fat you are losing.

the best thing to do is do some cardio in the morning before breakfast on days that you wont go to the gym. that will keep some fat off. but make sure you are in a calorie surplus every day.

as for weightlifting, it does heck of a load of things that help with fat loss and muscle building aside from the obvious killing your muscle cells hence your body thinks it needs to build bigger ones. increases metabolism, testosterone, growth hormone which even increases your lungs and heart(helps with cardio), it increases your endurance by a lot(the first time i went to the gym i got dizzy after almost every rep, now i almost never do) and heck of a lot more that i dont even know. and aside from that, it still burns calories(though while it depends on the person, you most likely dont want to be burning fat, but good slow carbs instead during a weightlifting workout)

Don’t stop training your legs.

[quote]jokerpua wrote:
Appreciate the quick response, i also tought it was weird, im pretty sure i can squat over 350 just havent tried yet, but yea my bench sucks ass. Another thing, by lifting a lot will this fat come off, or will i just build muscle under the fat and look fatter? Thanks again. And any specific article you reccomend for me?[/quote]

If you are estimating your squat based on your leg press you are probably wrong. The limiting factor on squats is the back which is not trained with leg press. Start a proper leg program with squats and deadlifts. You can use leg press as a finisher if you want. Do both squats and deadlifts every 3-4 days, either the same workouts or alternate workouts. There will be a great carryover to upper body strength as well as legs.

Here’s the link to Rippetoe and it’s highly recommended: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2281631

[quote]stuward wrote:

If you are estimating your squat based on your leg press you are probably wrong. The limiting factor on squats is the back which is not trained with leg press. Start a proper leg program with squats and deadlifts. You can use leg press as a finisher if you want. Do both squats and deadlifts every 3-4 days, either the same workouts or alternate workouts. There will be a great carryover to upper body strength as well as legs.

Here’s the link to Rippetoe and it’s highly recommended: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2281631

[/quote]

THanks dude ill keep doing leg work, but no my 350 squat i have done, just never tried going higher than that, and my deadlif is 300 also. But yea i started reading the article and i should be changing my workout starting monday.

Here is my preferred Rippetoe, how-to:

I’m not sure what you meant by this, but you have to start somewhere. You could essentially follow any program, beginner to advanced. The difference is going to be results. You will have better results with a beginner program (Rippetoe). I’m following Rippetoe myself and have had great results in only one month. The trick is to feed your body, rest, and push yourself in the workout. Seems simple to do but difficult to apply.

I know this won’t come out right, but you need to do legs regardless of how big or strong you think they are. I read (don’t quote me) that growth hormone is released when you do squats which helps other areas of your body grow. Anyway, read the Rippetoe link that I posted.