T Nation

Workout Fads That Drive You Insane

Since "complexes" are apparently the new fad around this place their sudden popularity has reminded me of past ideas that had me shaking my head.  Such examples include....

Kettlebells

Split training producing non-functional muscles

Working out outside(think Coach Davies)

HIIT as the only cardio choice

Eating “clean”

Anything involving MMA

Am I missing any? I’m sure there are many more. And I realize I don’t post much and that in turn makes me totally worthless, but I have been registered since 2002.

I like working out outside.

What exactly is a non-functional muscle?

One that doesnt move?

I like to train outside also.

People running around whining about fads that drive them insane … while running … it drives me insane

[quote]IfYouHateManUtd wrote:
Since “complexes” are apparently the new fad around this place their sudden popularity has reminded me of past ideas that had me shaking my head. Such examples include…

Kettlebells

Split training producing non-functional muscles

Working out outside(think Coach Davies)

HIIT as the only cardio choice

Eating “clean”

Anything involving MMA

Am I missing any? I’m sure there are many more. And I realize I don’t post much and that in turn makes me totally worthless, but I have been registered since 2002.

[/quote]

I can’t believe that I have been around long enough to actually witness every fad/trend come around for a second time!

What bugs me the most about them is the smugness some trainers display when they resurrect a “long forgotten” exercise or system and try to pass if off as if it is new and superior to what everyone else is doing (including what they themselves were promoting months prior).

Usually they’ll claim that its all part of their methods “evolving” or “staying at the cutting edge” but how could that be when your evolving in a circular trajectory?

I have an endless list of examples, but here is one that everyone should be able to relate to:

People used to do low intensity “cardio” but then were told that HIIT was far superior. Everyone got on that bandwagon until some lifters started to realize that when you’re lifting heavy all week that adding HIIT might be too much for your CNS and that low intensity “cardio” might actually have its place. Each and every time they bounce back and forth they are evolving…

Granted some trainers realize that these are all just tools depending on various factors.

[quote]IfYouHateManUtd wrote:

Working out outside(think Coach Davies)

[/quote]

yeah, I’m not sure what your problem is with this one–apparently you’ve never done it. If you get a chance, lift in the sun with fresh air because nothing beats it.

What makes me turn my head is the current trend of whiny posters complaining about what everybody else is doing in the gym (or outside of). If someone wants to do HIIT training on a BOSU ball with kettlebell in one hand and the latest super fast absorbing post out workout drink in the other I could care less. Different strokes for diffrent fokes.

Hate to sound cliche but it’s always been true and always will be. Nothing is new under the sun. The common denominator of any type of training modality is hardwork. Tabatas, complexes, HIIT, kettlebells, renegade training it’s all been done before but it all still has it’s place depending on your goals.

There is nothing wrong with throwing in an array of things, even if they are fads, into an intense training session.

I really don’t think it matters what your parameters or training style are as long as you lift the right way for you. The old saying really does hold true, “go hard and go home.”

core training pisses me off.

It seems the only people who train thier core at my gym are small little bitches

I saw this guy doing standing cable rows on a bosu ball… Then he went over and talked to his friend who was benching 65lbs and had a conversation about “how you dont have to lift alot of weight to be big and strong, you just have a strong core”.

BITCHES!

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
What exactly is a non-functional muscle?

One that doesnt move?[/quote]

I’d like to see a really hugely muscled bodybuilder play shortstop. That’s what people mean by non-functional muscle, I think.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
core training pisses me off.

It seems the only people who train thier core at my gym are small little bitches

I saw this guy doing standing cable rows on a bosu ball… Then he went over and talked to his friend who was benching 65lbs and had a conversation about “how you dont have to lift alot of weight to be big and strong, you just have a strong core”.

BITCHES![/quote]

I know what you mean. Its a serious lack of manliness. Unfortunately some people have no shame.

what it is a fad?
What does fad means?

thanks :slight_smile:

Anything with Spartan or 300 in the name, though thankfully it’s died off somewhat…

I wouldn’t go so far as to say “Anything involving MMA”. It has been around for a while and, yes, some people are making tons of money on all the hype. That is annoying, but it has always been there in some form or fashion.

Should I mention Pankration?

[quote]IfYouHateManUtd wrote:

Kettlebells

Split training producing non-functional muscles

Working out outside(think Coach Davies)

HIIT as the only cardio choice

Eating “clean”

Anything involving MMA

Am I missing any?

[/quote]

The things you mentioned above are NOT fads. They are successful methods that have proven results, and have withstood the test of time.

You want a fad? How about this one?

[quote]jedidiah wrote:
IfYouHateManUtd wrote:

Working out outside(think Coach Davies)

yeah, I’m not sure what your problem is with this one–apparently you’ve never done it. If you get a chance, lift in the sun with fresh air because nothing beats it.[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with doing certain exercises outside (playground pull-ups, etc), what I was referencing was that time period when every Coach Davies article showed him lifting weights with a barbell/dumbbells outside.

As if doing that made you somehow more hardcore. And you are right, I have never lifted outside. If I want fresh air and sunshine I’ll take a walk, dragging two hundred pounds outside somewhere when I could just go to the gym doesn’t sound appealing.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
IfYouHateManUtd wrote:

Kettlebells

Split training producing non-functional muscles

Working out outside(think Coach Davies)

HIIT as the only cardio choice

Eating “clean”

Anything involving MMA

Am I missing any?

The things you mentioned above are NOT fads. They are successful methods that have proven results, and have withstood the test of time.

You want a fad? How about this one?

[/quote]

First, let me say that I didn’t mean to say that any of those I listed can’t work in one way or another. What I am saying is that certain people on here think that doing kettlebells or doing complexes is going to somehow compensate for their lack of hard work and training knowledge.

Some consider them a quick fix–and that’s problem I have with them. It seems keeping it really, really simple just isn’t an option sometimes.

And just to play devil’s advocate, if some fat ass housewife lost 20 pounds and kept if off by doing Sweatin’ to the Oldies would that not make it “a successful method that has proven results?”

[quote]Chewie wrote:
I wouldn’t go so far as to say “Anything involving MMA”. It has been around for a while and, yes, some people are making tons of money on all the hype. That is annoying, but it has always been there in some form or fashion.

Should I mention Pankration?[/quote]

-Not to mention that before most of the martial arts where westernized (turned into a business) they were “real”. Practice was full contact, sparring wasnt fag tag. Even today, you can still find some of these dojo’s.

Everyone seems to be jumping on the mma bandwagon. If you havent competed or havent spent a life of practice doing it, dont right an e-book on conditioning for it.

[quote]IfYouHateManUtd wrote:
Eating “clean”
[/quote]

This is a fad?