T Nation

Workout/Diet/Supplement Evaluation

Hey guys. I would like to thank everyone in advance for their help in this thread. My post will be long, but I want it ot be as detailed as possible for better feedback. I have done about 12 hours of reading here over the last few days and think I am ready to develop a plan. From reading several forum posts and articles it seems like the majority of people here are serious,dedicated and knowlegable when it comes to all the phases of building a better body.

And please, correct me if I am wrong anywhere in here.

First off, here are my stats:

I’m 22 years old, 5’10 135 pounds. Yes,I am scrawny and want to do something about it. I would estimate around 10% body fat, although I haven’t had that measured in quite a while.

I haven’t been to the gym in about 5 years and am just starting back. I do play sports recreationally about once a week. My goal is to gain mass. 20-30 pounds of mostly lean mass before I graduate in May. Is this a realistic goal?

After reading the “how to design a damn good program” and “perfect rep” articles, I think I have but together a decent lifting program, focusing on primary and secondary lifting excercizes in an antagonist format. The Rep/Set totals are loose guidelines, as suggested in the perfect rep, and I will go more on feel.

Day 1: Chest/Back
Primary Chest: Bench 8x3
Primary Back: Chest Supported Row 8x3

Secondary Chest: DB Incline Bench 8x3
OR
Secondary Back: One Arm DB Row 8x3

Day 2: Recovery

Day 3: Biceps/Triceps
Primary Biceps: Scott Bar Curl 8x3
Priamry Triceps: Close-Grip Bench or Triceps Dips 8x3

Secondary Biceps: Hammer Curl 8x3
OR
Secondary Triceps: Flat Bench Triceps Extension 8x3

Day 4: Quads/Hamstrings
Primary Quads: Squat 8x3
Primary Hamstring: Deadlift 8x3

Secondary Quads: Leg Press 8x3
OR
Secondary Hamstring: Glute-Ham Raises 8x3

Day 5: Recovery

Day 6: Delts/Shoulders
Primary Shoulder: Military Press 8x3
Primary Delt/Shoulder: Pullups 8x3

Secondary Shoulder: Seated Dumbell Press 8x3
OR
Auxilary Delt/Shoulder: Lat Pulldown 8x3

Day 7: Recovery

As far as supplements go, I wanted to keep it simple. No pre-workout junk with a bunch of caffeine and sugars in it, just protein powders. I was going to purchase both whey and casein protein powders (ON Gold Standard of each). I planned on doing a casein shake in the morning and before bed for slow protein intake throughout the day and while sleeping, and a whey shake 30 minutes before and after workouts.

As far as dieting, my goal is to do a bulk diet(I believe). Lots of lean proteins, and even mix of fat types, and good carbs.

For proteins, I would be looking at foods like lean ground beef, turkey, chicken breast tuna and salmon.

For fats, I would be looking for nuts and oils.

For carbs, I would be looking for whole grain breads, pasta, fruits and veggies.

I feel like it will take a while to build my appetite, but I plan to eat 6-8 meals a day, each averaging about 600-800 calories. If you can recommend any sites to find out nutritional values for foods that would be awesome, as I would like to start a food log.

An average day would go like this:

Breakfast (08:00)

Casein Shake w/ Oats and fruit.
2-4 Eggs
6 Oz. Lean meat.
Carbs from bread for egg sandwich or potatoes.

Pre-Workout (10:00)

Whey Shake
Nuts/Fruit

Post Workout (11:30)

Whey shake
Nuts and fruit/veggies

Lunch (13:30)

8-10 oz.Lean meat
Veggies

Afternoon Meal (16:00)

Nuts, Oils, Fruits and Veggies

Dinner (19:00)
8-10oz. Lean meat.
Veggies.

Pre-bed (22:00)
Casein Shake
Nuts,Oils,Fruits and Veggies

Thanks again for your help if you made it this far. I’m looking forward to feedback.

This is more than realistic. You could easily gain 20 pounds by the end of January. I recommend not obsessing about counting calories or tracking nutrients, and instead eat EVERYTHING you can get your hands on. You don’t want to graduate college weighing less than 200 pounds.

Anyone else want to weigh in on his programming?

Your goal is very attainable given your situation.

You have some overlapping exercises in your routine. At this stage in the game I think you should use less exercises and more sets.

Instead of:
Primary Chest: Bench 4x10
Secondary Chest: DB Bench 4x10
Auxilary Chest: Chest Press Machine 4x10

You could do:
Primary Chest: Bench 6x10
Secondary Chest: DB Incline Bench 6x10

Or if you really want to do 3 exercises:
Secondary Chest: DB Incline Bench 4x10
Auxilary Chest: DB Chest Flys 4x10

[quote]ACTrain wrote:
Your goal is very attainable given your situation.

You have some overlapping exercises in your routine. At this stage in the game I think you should use less exercises and more sets.

Instead of:
Secondary Chest: DB Bench 4x10
Auxilary Chest: Chest Press Machine 4x10

You could do:
Primary Chest: Bench 6x10
Secondary Chest: DB Incline Bench 6x10

Or if you really want to do 3 exercises:
Secondary Chest: DB Incline Bench 4x10
Auxilary Chest: DB Chest Flys 4x10
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. Yesterday was my shoulder day and I only had time to get in my primary and secondary excercizes. And man, I am FEELIN it today. I remember Thibaudeau recommending 4-6 excersizes per workout, and four was definitely enough for me to be sore as hell today.

I think I may be doing too much weight though. I was doing four sets and was able to do 10-12 reps on my first set, 8 on my second, 6 on my third and 4 or 5 on my fourth set before failure. I was not quitting early either, I literally could not get the next rep and and I was trying my heart out.

Should I reduce the weight on my excercizes to get more reps, considering that my goal is increasing size? Or does this sound ok?

[quote]tiburontiburon wrote:

This is more than realistic. You could easily gain 20 pounds by the end of January. I recommend not obsessing about counting calories or tracking nutrients, and instead eat EVERYTHING you can get your hands on. You don’t want to graduate college weighing less than 200 pounds.

Anyone else want to weigh in on his programming?
[/quote]

20 pounds in a month? Wow. Keep in mind I am not trying to get horribly fat during this time. I understand that you have to put on some fat while getting bigger and building muscle, but I want to stay relatively lean while putting on the muscle.

Were you using the same weight on each set? What did your set/rep/weight progression look like, including warmups?

I recommend ramping the weight. Take a read thru the perfect rep article on the homepage and also check out CT’s forum, he has some threads about ramping.

Definitely realistic. Make sure you eat plenty.

[quote]ACTrain wrote:
I recommend ramping the weight. Take a read thru the perfect rep article on the homepage and also check out CT’s forum, he has some threads about ramping.[/quote]

x2 if you want to get big and strong.

Stop making excuses.

You’re already starting with the ‘not enough time’ crap. If you want to attain your goals, you have to work them into your schedule instead of trying to work around your schedule and fit them in.

I’m a student. I work 2 jobs, I’m a double major, and I’m writing a thesis. I can still get the time in. I did all this while playing a sport, but I’m currently on the injured wagon and in the gym instead.

You’ll be sore the first week or two, then it won’t be as bad.

I recommend taking the pre workout protein 1-1.5 hrs before the workout.

Also, take something with simple sugars AND complex carbs with your post workout shake. The heightened insulin response will enhance growth.

I started working out last semester at 5’10 and 145 lbs. About 155 right now. Hoping to get to 160-170 by graduation! It’s going to be hard since I can only do upper body stuff.

Lets do it man. I challenge you to stick to your guns and see this through. Lets keep at it and see where we’re both at in may!

[quote]ACTrain wrote:
Were you using the same weight on each set? What did your set/rep/weight progression look like, including warmups?

I recommend ramping the weight. Take a read thru the perfect rep article on the homepage and also check out CT’s forum, he has some threads about ramping.[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendation. I read about it last night and tried the perfect rep strategy today, and man I feel awesome. I’m gonna edit my OP for a workout based around The Perfect Rep

Before I was using the same weight on each set, and really grinding out the last few reps. Today I tried the low rep/exposive method with awesome results. I was putting up weight I would never have tried before, seeing as I was aiming for a high number of reps.

But like CT says, you really get into a zone, and I was throwing around weight on my 6th and 7th set, ramping the weight each time, and it still felt like my warmup set. It was awesome!

Leaving the gym today, I felt like I kicked the iron’s ***, not the other way around. I was completely hyped, not beaten down like usual (and what I thought was a good feeling), and had thrown around more weight than I thought was possible for me.

[quote]ridethecliche wrote:
Stop making excuses.

You’re already starting with the ‘not enough time’ crap. If you want to attain your goals, you have to work them into your schedule instead of trying to work around your schedule and fit them in.

I’m a student. I work 2 jobs, I’m a double major, and I’m writing a thesis. I can still get the time in. I did all this while playing a sport, but I’m currently on the injured wagon and in the gym instead.

You’ll be sore the first week or two, then it won’t be as bad.

I recommend taking the pre workout protein 1-1.5 hrs before the workout.

Also, take something with simple sugars AND complex carbs with your post workout shake. The heightened insulin response will enhance growth.

I started working out last semester at 5’10 and 145 lbs. About 155 right now. Hoping to get to 160-170 by graduation! It’s going to be hard since I can only do upper body stuff.

Lets do it man. I challenge you to stick to your guns and see this through. Lets keep at it and see where we’re both at in may![/quote]

For my postworkout shakes (which I take with lunch), I always blend a good portion of frozen fruits in with (for the sugars) and try and eat both vegetables and bread with my meal for some complex carbs. Does that sound good?

Also, I think you are too quick to criticize my drive.

That day I was talking about, I had to pick my brother up from the airport…and still did what would be considered a full workout, I just dropped two exercizes because I had to cut my workout short by 1/2 an hour…

I’m also a student, work, and do and internship. But I haven’t missed a day working out yet, and don’t plan to.

Not trying to get into a pissing contest over who has a harder schedule, as I’m sure yours is just as hard or harder than mine, but my schedule looks like this:

Wakeup/Shower/Dress: 7:45-8:15
Breakfast: 8:15
Class: 9:00-10:00
Workout: 10:15-11:30
Lunch: 11:45-12:15
Chill before work until 1:00
Work: 1:00 or 2:00-6:00
Dinner: 6:15-6:45
Internship: 7:00-10 or 11:00
Food: 11:15-11:45
Online Classwork/Other Studying: 12:00-1:00
Sleep

I’m not even getting enough sleep as I should be to optimize my training program, and I literally do not stop from the time I wake up until I go to bed around 1:30 or 2:00.