Workout + Diet Critique

Hi All,

New to the forums, coming to you from across the Atlantic in the UK.

Spent the last 3 days on the website instead of doing any work!

Been lifting for a couple of years but badly, poor choice of exercises, inconsistant, bad diet, not progressing my weights etc therefore no real progress to speak of.

Have managed to loose around 4 stone (52 lbs) over the last few years thanks to a fairly good standard of cardio fitness and cardio activity but put 2 back on (28 lbs) about a third of that muscle, the rest fat, currently fighting to loose more bodyfat and not pay as much attention to weight.

Would appreciate your comments on my workout, I’m doing full body workouts, 3 x a week (tues, thurs, sat) alternating between workout A and workout B.

Workout A

Deadlift
Bench Press (flat, barbell)
Chin Up (Wide armed, over hand grip)
Shoulder Press (DB)
Dip
Medicine Ball Throw and Catch to partner (abs)

Workout B

Squat
Bench Press (decline, dumbell)
Pull Up (narrow armed, underhand grip)
Upright Row
Dumbell Pullover
Leg Raises

Diet

Breakfast : 2 x wholemeal toast with honey, Protein shake

Mid Morning : 2 x hard boiled eggs OR can of tuna /
1 x fruit

Lunch : Half roast chicken
Yogurt

Mid Afternoon : Tuna Steak OR Salmon Steak OR Cod Fillet OR can of tuna.

Evening Meal : Some variety of meat or fish steak / fillet grilled on a George Foreman with salad or stir fried vegtables.

23 years old, 6’2, current weight about 14.8 stones (207 lbs) Bodyfat at a very rough guess of 18% - 19%

All (helpful) comments welcome

Thanks

CG

Workou

Looks good all in all a Little press/internal rotation heavy maybe more rows

what kind of rep, set and progression are you using

Diet looks pretty damn good as well id maybe try and get more veggies in there

big ? is it working are you making progress?

Phill

Thanks for your reply Phil, using 4 x 4 on deadlifts, 4 x 6 on bench press and squats.

3 x 8 on everything else, Pullups and dips I’m still not great on so aiming for at least 3 x 10 before I add any weight.

Add 5lbs every week to my bench, deadlift and squat, all other exercises I aim for my desired rep range, If I hit it, I keep going till I can’t do anymore, If I don’t hit it, I pick the same weight again next session and try again, aiming to at least get one more rep out than last time if I can’t add any more weight.

Not been doing it long enough yet to really notice any major changes, plus I’m on a cut so won’t build any significant amounts of muscle, have almost certainly lost fat though.

You need some horizontal pulling. You dont have any of that that I saw and you need them to balance out your horizontal pushing movements.

Seated cable rows, bent over rows, db rows, one arm cable rows, etc.

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
You need some horizontal pulling. You dont have any of that that I saw and you need them to balance out your horizontal pushing movements.

Seated cable rows, bent over rows, db rows, one arm cable rows, etc.[/quote]

I did wonder that in all honesty, thought the pullups / chinups would be enough, no worries, I’ll stick a seated cable row in there, used to do them when I was doing splits.

Thanks for comments.