Workout Critique Please

I’ve worked out for about a year now, though only about half of that time was utilized with enough food and a non-TBT split (which did little for me). I’ve managed to work my way up from 6’2" 140 lbs from my junior year to now being an even 200 with little fat gain, (all my abs still showing) with 4 months left of my senior year,though i still have a long way to go. But i want to know if anyone can help with my upper lower split. I start with one main Excercise, ramping up to a max, then on upper body days i superset my remaining exercises, becasue i found straight sets a) take longer and b) for whatever reason since supersetting, i’ve been able to add much more weight to all my excercises

Lower Day 1-
Front Squat- Ramp to max set of 4-6
Bulagarian Split Squats- 3 sets of 8-12
Leg Curls- 3 sets of 8-15
Calve Raises- 4 sets of 10-20

Upper Day 1-
Low Incline Bench Press- Ramp to Max set of 4-6
Chinups and Barbell Shoulder Press - 3 or 4 sets of 6-10
One Arm DB Rows and Incline Weighted Pushups- 3 or 4 sets of 8-12
One Arm Tricep Extension and EZ Bar Curls- 3 sets of 8-15

Lower Day 2-
Bulgarian Split Squats- Ramp to a max set of 6-10
Quad Squats- 2 sets of 15-20 reps
Leg Extensions- 3 sets of 8-15

Upper Day 2-
Floor Press- ramp to max set of 6-8
Wide Grip Pullups and Incline Barbell Press- 3 or 4 sets of 6-12
Bent Over Rows and Lateral Raises- 3 or 4 sets of 6-15
Rack Chins and DB Pullovers- 3 or 4 sets of 10-20

any crtiques?

Looks pretty good. You have a wide rep range for your assistance exercises but whatever you have been doing is working if you’ve put on that much weight so keep at it.

Good Luck.

Would something like this be helpful in avoiding injury as well because you’re going to be alternating push/pull movements with which you could negate the ‘bad effects’ of some of the push movements?

[quote]ACTrain wrote:
Looks pretty good. You have a wide rep range for your assistance exercises but whatever you have been doing is working if you’ve put on that much weight so keep at it.

Good Luck.[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragment. seeing as you are one of the more experienced and successful members on the forums, do you see an issue with the fact I was able to stay relativley lean on my ‘bulk’? I’ve read often times on this site that you have to ‘ditch the sixpack’ if you wanna put on serious weight, and I do little to no cardio. So is the fact I’m around 10% bf holding me back at all?

If you’re gaining weight at a reasonable rate and the weights on your lifts are going up, why complain?

Im in no way complaining. just wondering if there was any suggestions on how to improve what I’m doing

What about replacing the bulgarian squats you have on your second lower body day with a version of the deadlift, whether it be conventional, sumo, or romanian.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]ACTrain wrote:

Good Luck.[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragment. seeing as you are one of the more experienced and successful members on the forums, do you see an issue with the fact I was able to stay relativley lean on my ‘bulk’? I’ve read often times on this site that you have to ‘ditch the sixpack’ if you wanna put on serious weight, and I do little to no cardio. So is the fact I’m around 10% bf holding me back at all?[/quote]

According to your first post you’ve gained 60lbs in your first year of training with little fat gain. Keep doing what you’ve been doing.

Bump! I’ve stalled out I think on my routine, and wanted to change to a 3-way split, 6 days a week. The split Im looking at is Chest/Bi’s, Legs, Back/Tri’s. Im very confused on how to adjust the volume however, as the frequency is being bumped up. Here is a sample workout:

Chest/Bi’s
DB Incline Press- Ramp up to 4-6 max reps for 5 sets
HS Chest Press and Chin ups - 5-10 reps for 4 sets
Neck Press and Yates Rows - 8-12 reps for 3 sets
Lateral Raises and EZ bar curls - 12- 20 reps for 2 sets

• I do lateral raises 2-3 times a week, to try and add more width to my shoulders. Ill mostly likely OHP on Tricep Day

Is this too much volume in workout for me to perform it twice a week, considering my Back/Tri day will be set up similiarly. (Legs will be the same set up, minus the last superset with the 12-20 rep range) If it is, what would yall suggest??? My primary goal is aesthetics, if that helps. Also, I’m counting my calories, and Im getting AT LEAST 320 grams of protein a day, and between 3700-4300 calories a day.

Where’s the hamstring work? You’ve got front squats, Bulgarian split squats, Olympic squats, and leg extensions (lol), but all you have for your hammies is some leg curls. If you’re going to work legs two days a week, I’d suggest incorporating some kind of heavy hip extension exercise, whether it’s deadlifts, rack pulls, Romanian deadlifts, or goodmornings. It’s good that you’re putting effort into your legs, but you should make sure you’re developing them evenly.

[quote]Haavik wrote:
Where’s the hamstring work? You’ve got front squats, Bulgarian split squats, Olympic squats, and leg extensions (lol), but all you have for your hammies is some leg curls. If you’re going to work legs two days a week, I’d suggest incorporating some kind of heavy hip extension exercise, whether it’s deadlifts, rack pulls, Romanian deadlifts, or goodmornings. It’s good that you’re putting effort into your legs, but you should make sure you’re developing them evenly.[/quote]

Sorry for not specifing. My legs days are now broken up like this now:
Leg Day 1:
Front Squat
Bulgarian Split Squats and Calve Raises
Leg Curls and Pullovers/Ab work

Leg Day 2:
RDL or Sumo Leg Press (described in the recent Hamstring Thread in the bodybuilding section)
Leg Press Frog Squat and Calve Raises
Leg Extension and Seated Calve Raises

The Bulgarian Split Squats I really feel on the back of my legs, so Ive always considered them Ham/Glute builders more so then Quads. Usually my leg workout is I make the 1st Primary Movement either Quad Dominant or Posterior Chain Dominant,then all the remaining work is focused on the opposing part of the leg. This allows me to get both hit twice in a week, but allows me to recover in time for the next leg workout

So here is the routine I’ve planned out for myself.

Day 1: Back/Tri’s
Lat Pulldown- Ramp up to 4-6 max reps for 5 sets
HS Iso Row and Push Press - 5-10 reps for 4 sets
Rope Pulldowns and Dips - 8-12 reps for 3 sets
DB Rear Delt Flyes and Rope Pushdowns- 12- 20 reps for 2 sets

Day 2: Legs
Front Squat- Ramp up to 4-6 max reps for 5 sets
Leg Curls and Calve Raises - 5-10 reps for 4 sets
Bulgarian Split Squats and Seated Calve Raises- 8-12 reps for 3 sets

Day 3: Chest/Bi’s
DB Incline Press- Ramp up to 4-6 max reps for 5 sets
Neck Press and Yates Rows - 8-12 reps for 3 sets
Lateral Raises and EZ bar curls - 12- 20 reps for 2 sets

Day 4: Off

Day 5: Back/Tri’s
Pullups (assisted)- Ramp up to 4-6 max reps for 5 sets
Cable Low Row and CGBP- 5-10 reps for 4 sets
DB Rows and Tricep Extensions - 8-12 reps for 3 sets
Rack Chins Cable Lateral Raises - 12- 20 reps for 2 sets

Day 6: Legs
RDL or Sumo Leg Press- Ramp up to 4-6 max reps for 5 sets
Hack Squat (frog sstance) and Cale raises - 5-10 reps for 4 sets
Leg Extensions and Seated Calve Raises- 8-12 reps for 3 sets

Day 7:
BB Incline Press- Ramp up to 4-6 max reps for 5 sets
Dips and BB Curls- 8-12 reps for 3 sets
Rev Pec Deck Flyes and Hammer Curls- 12- 20 reps for 2 sets

My question is basically is this too much volume and/or variety?? I just moved from my dinky home “gym” (if you can even call it that) to a really nice gym, and seeing as its summer, Im young, and Im eating enough, I think this is the perfect time for me to make the most of my time and make some serious progress, and get to my goal of 230 by winter. So any suggestions, criticisms, opinions, ect, will be extremely appreciated