Workout Before or After Meals?

I used to workout everyday back in the 80's. I've had a lot of health issues in the past 12 years. My body refuses to give up. I'm 6'0" and weigh about 380. I was up to 500 #'s. When I worked out, I weighed 225, with less than 10% body fat.

I haven’t lifted a weight since 1987. I haven’t ran or done any exercises since about 1990. I walk, a little.

I was looking up some old friends on the web, and found that my old weight instructor, Chuck Sipes, had died. I did some asking around and got some answers to my questions and also made a couple of new friends. (Dennis Weis and Paul Becker). After making contact with them, I got this desire to work iron again.

I’ve been told by doctors, that I wasn’t going to live another 5 years. That was 10 years ago.
My blood pressure is in the middle of the “normal” range, without any meds. My hearts rate is about 60 bpm, at rest. My doctor did a circulation test of my veins and arteries, and I’m in perfect shape on that.

My cholesterol was 280, then I got Lipitor and my cholesterol dropped to 130. I had a tumor next to my heart about the size of a baseball and I did 3 biopsies and the chemo and radiation and so far I’m cancer free.

Today is my third day of my workouts and I’m feeling it in my arms. I’m doing the “Push-Pull” routines that Chuck Sipe taught me.

My question is, should I do the workouts before or after meals? If after, then how long after?

Hey fatman,

Right off the bat, stop analyzing all of the details. At your weight, and where you have been, you need to just focus on eating good, nutritious food every day (there are plenty of excellent diet plans here, but I wouldn’t get too caught up in numbers right now)…just cut out the junk, eat more veggies, and you will see rapid improvements

There are plenty of articles here on pre/post workout nutrition…I suggest you search.

I’m not sure of the routine you are using. I am worried about the fact that you said that you are 3 days in and that your arms are sore. At this point, everything should be sore. Why? Because you should be hitting everything (yes this includes legs).

Again, there are a multitude of workout programs here. They are all good. Focus on compound movements, and work the entire body. Rest.

Good luck.

The answer to your question, eat before and after. eat low gi carbs and clean protein roughtly about an hour before working out then anywhere from half an hour to an hour eat hi gi carbs and protein to replenish glycogen stores and feed the muscle

[quote]michaelmr wrote:
The answer to your question, eat before and after. eat low gi carbs and clean protein roughtly about an hour before working out then anywhere from half an hour to an hour eat hi gi carbs and protein to replenish glycogen stores and feed the muscle[/quote]

Thanks for answering my question.

Don’t worry about when to work out around meals until you’re trying to get from 8% to 6% bf. Suggest, Clarence Bass if the lean life style is for you. The best guy for losing wieght and getting strong is Dan John. Go to his web site but wrap your head in duct tape first. The advice he passes is enough to blow your mind, simple yet profound. Recomend reading his free book “From the Ground Up” and following his meat-leaves-berry diet. It’ll get you where you want to go quickley and safely. Good luck.

[quote]michaelmr wrote:
The answer to your question, eat before and after. eat low gi carbs and clean protein roughtly about an hour before working out then anywhere from half an hour to an hour eat hi gi carbs and protein to replenish glycogen stores and feed the muscle[/quote]

Sound advice, though a comment -

The normal recommendation is to eat an hour beforehand, but I find an hour and a half to two hours works much better for me. Less gas and general GI upset. Play around with the timing to see what works best for you.

-Dan

Matters not when you eat (in the grand scheme of things). It only matters if you train, and train properly!