T Nation

Workout and Diet, Do I Need Change

I am a first year, 19 year old university student. I am currently 180lbs, and 6’1. I live on campus, but do not live in a dorm style residence. With that being said, I have my own fridge and all other appliances so I cook for myself. I hit the gym 5-6days a week. I started weight lifting last summer and haven’t really changed many things, but I am looking for change. I want to become bigger with the least amount of fat build up. Here is my workout plan:

Monday - Pecs and Tris
DB Bench press 3x8x70
Incline DB Bench press 3x8x60
Dips 3x8x0
Decline DB Bench press 3x8x60
DB flies 3x8x42.5
tricep pushdown or kickbacks 3x8x80 (or 30 if kickbacks)
Close Grip Vertical bench 3x8x110

Tuesday - Back and Biceps
Deadlifts 3x8x245
Seated Row 3x8x125 for each arm
Chin ups 3x8
bent over rows 3x8x60
lat pull downs 3x8x140
ez curls 3x8x75, 2 negatives on the last set.
farmer walk/shrugs 3x a walk down the gym and backx60
low back extensions 3x8x45
spin class - cardio/IT
abs: plank with 25lb weight on back, 2x1.5minutes 1x2minutes (minute rest between sets)
side plank: 3x45seconds
sit ups, and other various ab exercises for 3minutes

Wednesday - Legs and Shoulders
Squat 3x8x185
Lunges 3x8x45
Shoulder press 3x8x47.5
W-G pull ups 3x7x0
a variation of a leg press - 3x8x450
a second squat (machine) 3x8x360
Front/lateral raises - 3x8x25
Cable X Overs - 3x8x40

Thursday - REST
spin class - cardio/IT
abs: plank with 25lb weight on back, 2x1.5minutes 1x2minutes (minute rest between sets)

Friday - Pecs and Tris

Saturday - Back and Biceps

Sunday - Legs and Shoulders
spin class - cardio/IT

Monday - REST

REPEAT

That is basically my workout in a nutshell, and now for my nutrition:
Morning: 3whole eggs, 2whole wheat slices of toast (sometimes 2strips of bacon) and a glass of milk

Snack:Apple or carrots usually with a handful of almonds

Lunch: Depends on the day - a turkey sandwhich, chicken wrap, with a fruit

Pre-workout:handful of almonds/mixed nuts.

Post-workout/dinner: either chicken with vegetables, or pasta and shrimp with vegetables

I’ll sometimes have a smoothie (Yogurt, milk, strawberries, and a banana) as part of a meal or a snack as well.
I am not sure about how many calories I am consuming a day, but I do believe I should be eating more if I want to gain more muscle.

What I am looking for ITT: I am open to all types of criticism; good or bad. First off I believe I am going to start taking creatine. I should be taking this stuff post workout right? The stuff that I will probably get has 750mg per capsule, so i should take about 3-4 post workout? making it around 3g of creatine? Secondly should I be taking a type of protein too? Specifically whey for my mornings and post workouts as well? My goal is to get bigger while not gaining as much fat as I can. That is why I’m trying to do HIIT or just IT to keep me from gaining fat. I however can live with gaining fat. Thirdly, with what I want done to my body, should I be changing how I have set up my workout (types of exercises) and should I perhaps be changing up my sets and reps. I have been doing this for about 8months so I am open to change.

Thanks,
RS

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:

Monday - Pecs and Tris
DB Bench press 3x8x70
Dips 3x8x0
DB flies 3x8x42.5

Deadlifts 3x8x245
Chin ups 3x8
bent over rows 3x8x60
lat pull downs 3x8x140
spin class - cardio/IT

Squat 3x8x185
Lunges 3x8x45
Shoulder press 3x8x47.5
W-G pull ups 3x7x0
Cable X Overs - 3x8x40

Thursday - REST
spin class - cardio/IT

Friday - Pecs and Tris

spin class - cardio/IT

Monday - REST

REPEAT

Morning: 3whole eggs, 2whole wheat slices of toast (sometimes 2strips of bacon) and a glass of milk

Post-workout/dinner: either chicken with vegetables, or pasta and shrimp with vegetables

I’ll sometimes have a smoothie (Yogurt, milk, strawberries, and a banana) as part of a meal or a snack as well.
I am not sure about how many calories I am consuming a day, but I do believe I should be eating more if I want to gain more muscle.

What I am looking for ITT: I am open to all types of criticism; good or bad. First off I believe I am going to start taking creatine. I should be taking this stuff post workout right? The stuff that I will probably get has 750mg per capsule, so i should take about 3-4 post workout? making it around 3g of creatine? Secondly should I be taking a type of protein too? Specifically whey for my mornings and post workouts as well? My goal is to get bigger while not gaining as much fat as I can. That is why I’m trying to do HIIT or just IT to keep me from gaining fat. I however can live with gaining fat. Thirdly, with what I want done to my body, should I be changing how I have set up my workout (types of exercises) and should I perhaps be changing up my sets and reps. I have been doing this for about 8months so I am open to change.

Thanks,
RS[/quote]

Basic concept (3 Days split twice per week) is good, however, you use way too much overall volume. The idea for hypertrophy is to completely fatigue the muscle and then give is time for regeneration/supercompensation (=growth). Also, if your workouts last very long, the hormonal levels shifts more and more towards a catabolic state, which means less protein synthesis than protein breakdown (which you want to avoid).

Instead, try to do around 25-50 repetitions for a major muscle group and maybe some isolation work afterwards. Use more weight with higher intensity, as it forces the body to use the most of the muscle fibers at once which in turn creates the greatest potential for hypertrophy.

Your diet is probably where you can improve the most. You need to consume much more calories, around twice as much as you’re getting now. For your are, height and 6 training days/week, at least around 3500-4000 per day, maybe even more. Try to eat at least 6 times per day, better 8 times, all small meals except for breakfast. (try searching for 7 habits and similar articles). Also, get some carbs pre and post workout.

3g of creatine per day immidiatly after training is fine, but if i was in your place i would invest my money in either some fresh fish or at least some fish oil before taking creatine. Creatine does almost nothing if the rest of your diet is good. I would’t worry too much about other supplements as long as you’re on 2000 calories per day they won’t have much of an impact (if any)

[quote]Petrichor wrote:
Rico Suave wrote:

Monday - Pecs and Tris
DB Bench press 3x8x70
Dips 3x8x0
DB flies 3x8x42.5

Deadlifts 3x8x245
Chin ups 3x8
bent over rows 3x8x60
lat pull downs 3x8x140
spin class - cardio/IT

Squat 3x8x185
Lunges 3x8x45
Shoulder press 3x8x47.5
W-G pull ups 3x7x0
Cable X Overs - 3x8x40

Thursday - REST
spin class - cardio/IT

Friday - Pecs and Tris

spin class - cardio/IT

Monday - REST

REPEAT

Thanks,
RS

Basic concept (3 Days split twice per week) is good, however, you use way too much overall volume. The idea for hypertrophy is to completely fatigue the muscle and then give is time for regeneration/supercompensation (=growth). Also, if your workouts last very long, the hormonal levels shifts more and more towards a catabolic state, which means less protein synthesis than protein breakdown (which you want to avoid).

Instead, try to do around 25-50 repetitions for a major muscle group and maybe some isolation work afterwards. Use more weight with higher intensity, as it forces the body to use the most of the muscle fibers at once which in turn creates the greatest potential for hypertrophy.

Your diet is probably where you can improve the most. You need to consume much more calories, around twice as much as you’re getting now. For your are, height and 6 training days/week, at least around 3500-4000 per day, maybe even more. Try to eat at least 6 times per day, better 8 times, all small meals except for breakfast. (try searching for 7 habits and similar articles). Also, get some carbs pre and post workout.

3g of creatine per day immidiatly after training is fine, but if i was in your place i would invest my money in either some fresh fish or at least some fish oil before taking creatine. Creatine does almost nothing if the rest of your diet is good. I would’t worry too much about other supplements as long as you’re on 2000 calories per day they won’t have much of an impact (if any)[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated. I had a feeling I’d have to increase the weight and do less reps, and I know my diet isn’t set to what it should be. Once I get back home I will be eating a lot more. I can’t really afford a ton of food at the moment, but I am going to try my very best to invest in some more food. What you were saying about fish, I loved fish the first time I had it. However, the second time I was rushed to a hospital. Sadly I’m allergic to everything but shell, so I’m going to have to do without. I knew I should have mentioned that in my first post.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or did Petrichor hit everything that needed to be said?
RS