Working While Mourning

A guy I work with found out that his grandmother died so he’s taking a week off to go to the funeral, spend time with his family, etc.

MY BOSS GAVE HIM WORK TO DO WHILE HE’S GONE.

My boss is normally a nice guy but he has something wrong with his head and doesn’t realize that this is not tactful.

I reckon if that was me, I would have resigned when the boss asked me to do work. Obviously I dont know the intricate details, but that is still fucking low.

I don’t know. I feel bad for the guy. Death is always tragic even if the person has lead a fulfilling life and lived to a ripe old age. And I’m not in the working world yet. But a week seems like a long time to take off for the funeral of an elderly grandmother without part of that time counting as vacation days or personal days.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
I don’t know. I feel bad for the guy. Death is always tragic even if the person has lead a fulfilling life and lived to a ripe old age. And I’m not in the working world yet. But a week seems like a long time to take off for the funeral of an elderly grandmother without part of that time counting as vacation days or personal days.[/quote]

Most companies give one to three days off depending on travel considerations.

One week off is pretty generous.

Regarding the work the boss gave him, if it is important the guy should suck it up and do it. If it is trivial the guy can bitch a little bit and still do it.

The week is really generous, usually it only covers mother/father, sister /brother for three (3) days. The work is probably his boss’s way of covering for giving him a week off.