Working up with Prilepins

Hey.

This may come off as a stupid, unresearched question, but I assure you, I’ve looked around and cannot find an answer.

Anyhow, using Prilepins table, do the sets working up to the last set fall into the table as well?

For example, the sets leading up to the 3 reps at or above 90%, is there a protocol for programming those sets as well? or does it not really matter as they aren’t ‘work’ sets?

I apologize if this is an ignorant question, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

powerliftingwatch.com/files/prelipins.pdf

Your range is 4-10, so with sets of 3 you would do 2-3 sets. 7 total reps being optimal. Those would definitely be work sets. Unless im misunderstanding your question.

[quote]jamesaa wrote:
Anyhow, using Prilepins table, do the sets working up to the last set fall into the table as well?

For example, the sets leading up to the 3 reps at or above 90%, is there a protocol for programming those sets as well? or does it not really matter as they aren’t ‘work’ sets? [/quote]

Nah, don’t sweat it. Would only matter if you use a crapload of warm up sets in the higher intensity brackets when ramping up. A couple of doubles or singles won’t mess with the basic principles for the work sets.

Doesnt much matter… I train exclusively based on prelipins and for me I usually warm up something like how Sheiko had his athletes warm up:
50% x5
60% 1-2x4
70# 2x3
Then go from there… Also for no real reason I don’t like it when warmups are less reps that work sets so if I am doing say 70% 5x5 as work sets, I would warmup 50% x5, 60% 2x5 then onto the work sets. No real reason, just me…

At any rate, infinite is correct that it doesn’t much matter so long as your ‘warmups’ aren’t excessive. If I may also chuck in another small bit of advice, training off of prelipins for a powerlifter should be somewhat modified IMO… The 90%+ bracket becomes too strenuous when you are doing lifts with a major eccentric portion (like the powerlifts) vs the olympic lifts. Note that prelipin trained olympic weightlifters and developed this table based upon predominantly eccentric-less movements. As such, I USUALLY ignore the 90%+ bracket (maybe go into it once every 6 weeks… mainly at contests) and when I am working in the other brackets, I tend to stick into a lower range. For eg. I often do 80% 5x3 but 88% 5x3 would be way too much for me.

[quote]arramzy wrote:
At any rate, infinite is correct that it doesn’t much matter so long as your ‘warmups’ aren’t excessive. If I may also chuck in another small bit of advice, training off of prelipins for a powerlifter should be somewhat modified IMO… The 90%+ bracket becomes too strenuous when you are doing lifts with a major eccentric portion (like the powerlifts) vs the olympic lifts. Note that prelipin trained olympic weightlifters and developed this table based upon predominantly eccentric-less movements. As such, I USUALLY ignore the 90%+ bracket (maybe go into it once every 6 weeks… mainly at contests) and when I am working in the other brackets, I tend to stick into a lower range. For eg. I often do 80% 5x3 but 88% 5x3 would be way too much for me.[/quote]
awesome, this is just what I wanted to know but couldn’t find for the past couple of days. thanks!

[quote]arramzy wrote:
Doesnt much matter… I train exclusively based on prelipins and for me I usually warm up something like how Sheiko had his athletes warm up:
50% x5
60% 1-2x4
70# 2x3
Then go from there… Also for no real reason I don’t like it when warmups are less reps that work sets so if I am doing say 70% 5x5 as work sets, I would warmup 50% x5, 60% 2x5 then onto the work sets. No real reason, just me…

At any rate, infinite is correct that it doesn’t much matter so long as your ‘warmups’ aren’t excessive. If I may also chuck in another small bit of advice, training off of prelipins for a powerlifter should be somewhat modified IMO… The 90%+ bracket becomes too strenuous when you are doing lifts with a major eccentric portion (like the powerlifts) vs the olympic lifts. Note that prelipin trained olympic weightlifters and developed this table based upon predominantly eccentric-less movements. As such, I USUALLY ignore the 90%+ bracket (maybe go into it once every 6 weeks… mainly at contests) and when I am working in the other brackets, I tend to stick into a lower range. For eg. I often do 80% 5x3 but 88% 5x3 would be way too much for me.[/quote]

Very good advice.