T Nation

Working to Save Muscles

I am 47,female, with reflex sympathetic dystrophy and lipodystrophy. I was working out for pain management at curves and I came down with a bone spur in each hip, the dr.'s will not do surgery because of the rsds and so I saved up and got a x-flex and started strength training 4 months ago I have lost 23lbs and starting to get muscle definition but I am at 179lb and have a long way to go.

Since I can’t walk or run for any length of time because of the bone spurs, is there any other kind of cardio I could start doing? I don’t have access to a pool. I have been working out with nun-chuckas for 20 mins before my strength training, any suggestions?

Tabatas would be the way to go. Since you can’t walk or run for any great time, use high intensity for a short time.

How to do tabata training: pick an exercise that works the big muscles (legs, back). Examples: squats (bodyweight to start with, add weight when able); sprints; stationary bike; elliptical machine. Go flat out at whatever exercise you have chosen for 20 seconds. Rest 10 seconds. Repeat 8 times.

Thank you I will try Tabatas today and let you know how it works.