T Nation

Working The Hammies

Was told about an exercise i hadnt seen before for the hammies. Using the Leg Press, you put your feet up higher on the press. Anyone does these before? Did you like them? Effective?

Im already doing thigns like leg curls and GM’s (and have done previously step ups and lunges also).

Id like to add these in if they are considered a good alternative.

[quote]JimmyOZ wrote:
Was told about an exercise i hadnt seen before for the hammies. Using the Leg Press, you put your feet up higher on the press. Anyone does these before? Did you like them? Effective?

Im already doing thigns like leg curls and GM’s (and have done previously step ups and lunges also).

Id like to add these in if they are considered a good alternative. [/quote]

I’m not too sure about these, but I’d say if you’re already doing GM’s and lunges then you should be ok. If you want good alternative exercises for legs and hams vary your GM or lunge. I like zercher GM’s for getting low and really stretching the hams. Look at Mike Robertson’s article on single leg exercises. romanian DL’s he RX’s are great hammy developers. so good. have fun.

-chris

You really want to work the hammies, do the squat, and when you do them spread your legs wide, way beyond shoulder width, start with a lighter weight and work up, if you haven’t done these before you will feel it in the morning, Keystones are a great exercise for the hammies. Like RDL’s but bend at the knees and stick but our will keeping back straight, and lower bar to just below the knees. sort of like the old keystone cops.

I’d also add in single leg work! I know someone mentioned Robertson’s article, but it bears repeating. If anything, add in single leg work…doing so automatically FORCES your adductors and hip extensors to activate. Various deads, various squats (specifically box squats, Anderson Squats), 1-legged RDL’s (LOVE these), pull-thru’s, various lunges, etc.

Come to think of it another great ham developer is swimming. If you have access to pool at school or in your apt. complex you can use it as energy work and leg development all at the same time. To really hit the legs don’t use your arms, just kick, and go fast for intervals, like swim sprinting. Or tread water with just your legs.

take care of two birds w/ one stone.

-chris

[quote]michaelmr wrote:
You really want to work the hammies, do the squat, and when you do them spread your legs wide, way beyond shoulder width, start with a lighter weight and work up, if you haven’t done these before you will feel it in the morning, Keystones are a great exercise for the hammies. Like RDL’s but bend at the knees and stick but our will keeping back straight, and lower bar to just below the knees. sort of like the old keystone cops.[/quote]

I agree 100% with the adjustment to the squat stance. I recently made such adjustmens and my knee problems disipated greatly. It indeed is an excellent ‘hammy’ developer

deZZ

guys cheers for the info, fkn awesome…ill explain what i do so i can add in the most appropriate thing…

for instance, tonight i will do ME Squats, wider than shoulder width stance (not too wide tho) with toes slightly out. then for accessory work, ill do (or have done in the last few weeks) leg curls and leg extensions for roughly 4 sets of 10-15 reps…and thats it…i will add in some step ups for extra work on my left leg which is lagging. I might substitute tonight the leg curls for the aforementioned leg press hammies or even RDL’s or a variation here.

Another day i do ME DL’s regular style with acc work as split squats 3x10 and GM’s 3x8. I LOVE the GM’s so loathe to change those but might change up my hammy ex on the squat day…cheers for the info, tomorrow i will check robo’s article.

jimmy

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
JimmyOZ wrote:
Was told about an exercise i hadnt seen before for the hammies. Using the Leg Press, you put your feet up higher on the press. Anyone does these before? Did you like them? Effective?

Im already doing thigns like leg curls and GM’s (and have done previously step ups and lunges also).

Id like to add these in if they are considered a good alternative.

I’m not too sure about these, but I’d say if you’re already doing GM’s and lunges then you should be ok. If you want good alternative exercises for legs and hams vary your GM or lunge. I like zercher GM’s for getting low and really stretching the hams. Look at Mike Robertson’s article on single leg exercises. romanian DL’s he RX’s are great hammy developers. so good. have fun.

-chris[/quote]

cheers, i might give those zercher GM’s a try…how is the weight differential for regular GM’s vs zerchers??

also, I might change the leg extensions with that alternative squat mentioned above.

cheers.

ok…did ME squats tonight and tried the RDL suggestion…loved it…also next w/o ill try the zercher GM too.

maybe a link to robo’s article would help if anyone has the time, id appreciate, cheers.

[quote]JimmyOZ wrote:
realpeanutbutter wrote:
JimmyOZ wrote:
Was told about an exercise i hadnt seen before for the hammies. Using the Leg Press, you put your feet up higher on the press. Anyone does these before? Did you like them? Effective?

Im already doing thigns like leg curls and GM’s (and have done previously step ups and lunges also).

Id like to add these in if they are considered a good alternative.

I’m not too sure about these, but I’d say if you’re already doing GM’s and lunges then you should be ok. If you want good alternative exercises for legs and hams vary your GM or lunge. I like zercher GM’s for getting low and really stretching the hams. Look at Mike Robertson’s article on single leg exercises. romanian DL’s he RX’s are great hammy developers. so good. have fun.

-chris

cheers, i might give those zercher GM’s a try…how is the weight differential for regular GM’s vs zerchers??

also, I might change the leg extensions with that alternative squat mentioned above.

cheers.
[/quote]

As far as weight I can do way more with zerchers because of the lack of possible strain on the spine. It also depends on the toughness of your elbows. but all in all I get more weight out of zerchers because of the safety factor.

-chris

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
JimmyOZ wrote:
realpeanutbutter wrote:
JimmyOZ wrote:
Was told about an exercise i hadnt seen before for the hammies. Using the Leg Press, you put your feet up higher on the press. Anyone does these before? Did you like them? Effective?

Im already doing thigns like leg curls and GM’s (and have done previously step ups and lunges also).

Id like to add these in if they are considered a good alternative.

I’m not too sure about these, but I’d say if you’re already doing GM’s and lunges then you should be ok. If you want good alternative exercises for legs and hams vary your GM or lunge. I like zercher GM’s for getting low and really stretching the hams. Look at Mike Robertson’s article on single leg exercises. romanian DL’s he RX’s are great hammy developers. so good. have fun.

-chris

cheers, i might give those zercher GM’s a try…how is the weight differential for regular GM’s vs zerchers??

also, I might change the leg extensions with that alternative squat mentioned above.

cheers.

As far as weight I can do way more with zerchers because of the lack of possible strain on the spine. It also depends on the toughness of your elbows. but all in all I get more weight out of zerchers because of the safety factor.

-chris
[/quote]

thanks mate, i found robo’s article and will have a look thru that and add some of that in.

i tried the high leg presses but didnt like the short ROM so i did RDLs instead…good move :smiley:

Try the glute ham raise. It’s like doing leg curls with your whole body. It will literally kick your butt.

You may have to start out assisted. Today is the first time I’ve managed two sets of 10 that were “all me”. My 3rd set was assisted, 4th set was more like “girl pushups”.

Definitely works the hamstrings though…glutes too.

[quote]vagrant wrote:
Try the glute ham raise. It’s like doing leg curls with your whole body. It will literally kick your butt.

You may have to start out assisted. Today is the first time I’ve managed two sets of 10 that were “all me”. My 3rd set was assisted, 4th set was more like “girl pushups”.

Definitely works the hamstrings though…glutes too.[/quote]

cheers, ive done those before, with a mate holding my ankles with a wieght at my chest…loved em, but since moving to the states, hav’nt bothered asking a stranger to put thier nose that close to my ass :wink: we have a GHR machine but im not a fan of it, i might try and force myself to like it but you know…i have heard of ppl using the lat pull down machine bby putting hte ankles under the knee pads…hmm, ill give it a go :smiley:

I made my gym a piece at a time at home. I don’t have a glute ham machine either.

I use my bench which has a leg curl/leg extension attachment with a preacher pad that can go on it.

I decided that since I mostly do big compound movements and very little isolation work I should get some use from it. I put my ankles under the knee pads on the leg extension and my knees on the bench. Lowering my body to the bench and raising back up that way.