Working Out with Chondromalacia?

How to work out with Chondromalacia??

After years of boxing and running and weight training my right knee has started to both me a bit. I thought it was Chondromalacia, but to be sure and safe I had to check with ortho surgeon that deals with athletes, and he confirmed that i have it in both knees but not so bad in the left knee. I’ve read up on RICE therapy to help with discomfort or pain.

But now I’m wondering what can I do as far as working out goes so I don’t lose all the strength/stability in my legs, I’ve read elliptical, swimming and biking. I have noticed that my right hip has given me some discomfort and I’m sure it is attributed to the knees and vice versa. I’m looking on some advice as what I should or what you guys would recommend to do in my situation. Should I stick with and upper body routine and work on my core strength (hips, glutes, abs, low back) and work on mobility and flexibility drills as well as stretching.

I don’t box anymore but I am a very active person and not being able to work out the way I’m used to working out is kinda bumming me out. So I’m just looking for some advice and insight on what to do in my situation.

i had slight chondromalacia in my left knew for about 9 months, it hurt to walk and it killed to walk on any incline/decline/stairs.

i did a couple weeks of stretching and massage felt great on my knee! foam rollers helped a lot. i basically massaged my IT band on my left knee everyday and did very light leg lifts(mainly leg press) only to build up the muscle and to help with stretching it out. A bunch of body weight exercises (squats, lunges) and now my left knee feels 90% better. It won’t ever be 100%, but i can squat heavy with little discomfort and i can run up stairs with no discomfort.

i went to a physical therapists for 2 months for advice/massages, he helped a lot

Hey, I was wondering the other day if this is in fact what I may have. I have a doctor’s appoihtment coming up, but I am not sure exactly what is wrong.

What does it feel like, for me it’s almost like a bruise that won’t go away, I feel it going up and down a set of stairs, and the most after running or some kind of leg workout. But when I do do that, the pain is there for maybe the first 2 minutes then it goes away, which makes me think it’s not all that serious as it doesn’t really limit me from doing anything, just a slight discomfort at the beginning of doing it and from day to day in certain situations. If I press on a certain part of my knee it hurts, kind of like right under the knee cap, but feels like it’s on the bone. Anybody have any insight to it, I’ll just wait to hear from my doctor to get the official word. Is there such a thing as early onset of Chondromalacia, and this is only going to get worse, in a way it seems to have gotten better, but other days it feels the same.

[quote]AlteredState wrote:
I’m surprised none of you guys have (apparently) taken the time to google it and find out for yourselves what it is, and how to diagnose and treat it.[/quote]

I’ve googled it and talked to an ortho about it, and said that their aren’t any muscular issues other then tightness. I just wanted to continue to work out with out making the problem any worse.
I appreciate the advice.

if you have pain start the the RICE. Stop running and difficult level biking and elliptical until the pain has significantly subsided.

Start a leg routine but don’t worry about lifting heavy weights, and even if you feel super strong don’t push it. It’s just too difficult to guage how your tendons feel and 1 day pushing it can negate 2 months progress.

My pain was bad I could only step up about an inch with no pain. AFter a little stretching and level 1 on the statiornay bike step onto the platform for quite a few sets slowly build up the height of the platform. As you approach about the height of the step, try body weight squatting. The most important part is perfect technique. You really want to stick to bodybuilding style squats, and work your depth until you can go atg with no pain before thinking about weight.

Or did he mean in your particular case?
[/quote]

Correct…I have well developed muscles in my legs and physical therapy would be pointless for me ,in the ortho’s own words. I’m just trying to figure out ways to work out that won’t irritate it anymore untill it hopefully gets better on day.!!!

I wish I had known those facts back in the late 70’s. I had chondromalacia in both knees… and the doctor said I needed surgery. And I got it. Afterwards, he told me never squat again. I listened to him because he was the sports med doctor for the Eagles.

I didn’t squat for years after that, and when I finally did start squatting after college, I was too cautious to really push big weights.

[quote]djartek wrote:
AlteredState wrote:
Or did he mean in your particular case?

Correct…I have well developed muscles in my legs and physical therapy would be pointless for me ,in the ortho’s own words. I’m just trying to figure out ways to work out that won’t irritate it anymore untill it hopefully gets better on day.!!![/quote]

Then your ortho sucks, physical therapy is about building your legs so that your knee functions correctly not givng you some well developed looking muscles. If you have knee pain then you need THERAPY if the ortho is saying surgery is unneccesary.

Therapy includes ice, heat, and stretching (which releases tension) when necessary. Your going to be in pain for a while if what you need to do on how strong your muscles look.

so you want him to release the tension in his cartilage? Why is everyone always so quick to dismiss doctors.

[quote]tveddy wrote:
so you want him to release the tension in his cartilage? Why is everyone always so quick to dismiss doctors. [/quote]

its blistering/irritation of the cartilage from wear and tear!! I never stated that I had any pain…I just want to continue to work out with out making the problem worse…btw the ortho I seen is the same ortho for the Detroit Red Wings so I think he might know what he is talking about!!

tveddy wrote:
so you want him to release the tension in his cartilage? Why is everyone always so quick to dismiss doctors.

You can’t release tension in cartilage. What he should consider is reducing the tension in the patellar retinaculum and ITB through manual therapy. This will reduice the forces pulling the patella out of alignment and make the job of the VMO easier.

Static stretching will do nothing.[/quote]

I know what chondromalacia is. Was hoping airtruth would give a better explanation of your assessment. My view on it is that if he was a boxer then he was probably doing a lot of high impact exercises. Do lower impact exercises and it should be fine. Plus isn’t pain the first requirement for PT?

tveddy wrote:
My view on it is that if he was a boxer then he was probably doing a lot of high impact exercises. Do lower impact exercises and it should be fine. Plus isn’t pain the first requirement for PT?

No offence but I think that’s a very simplistic treatment plan you have there.

Basically you say “Stop what you were doing and just replace it with a milder version”. That might work but it sure isn’t the best/fastest/most complete recovery promoter. It also isn’t going to do a thing for the chronic tissue tension that has caused the early degeneration of his patellofemoral joint.[/quote]

Amazingly we just talked about this today in biomechanics, and you would be correct Altered. hats off