Working Out With a Damn Cold..

It seems like every time I start trying to start my workout program I get sick! I worked out all winter and now school started up again and unscrupulous people being around have gotten me sick again!

Anybody have any good advice for working out and not getting sick? It seems like the extra exhaustion from working out and not getting enough sleep due to work and school is a sure fire way for me to repeatedly get sick till I decide to give up working out…

I don’t want to give up working out this semester though.

[quote]nargoth16 wrote:

Anybody have any good advice for working out and not getting sick? It seems like the extra exhaustion from working out and not getting enough sleep due to work and school is a sure fire way for me to repeatedly get sick
[/quote]

Try to make sure you get sleep. It’s important. I just always take my multi-vitamin, fish-oil, and get good sleep. I rarely ever get sick. knocks on wood

If it’s just a cold I don’t think you should stop working out. You might not be able to work out with the same intensity though. A cold can linger for a long time and there’s usually only a day or two at the most where it’s extra bad for the most part, which may be the days you would want to rest.

I’d think it’d be even more important at that point to get as much sleep as you can, eat well, take vitamins and drink ALOT of fluids.

Am I wrong?

Dr. Berardi points to peri-work out nutrition to bolster the immune system. Also somewhere in the archives is an article about training with a cold. Search for “sick.”

Tea, tea, and echinacea. Make sure that instead of water you drink green tea whenever possible. Get a big glass pitcher and brew up some iced tea and pour it into your nalgene or whatever. More green tea = only good things.

Also when you feel the cold coming and when you have it take large doses (1 tsp 2x daily) of herbal echinacea (liquid form only). Only do this during the cold period it works like a mule at preventing and killing cold symptoms.

To keep that shit away rock the tea at all times and keep your berry intake up. A greens detox supplement may help get your system clear of things that may make you an easy infector with a poor immune system.

Get the echinacea at hippy herb type vitamin store.

-chris

I down a couple packs of Emergen-C every day along with my fish oil and other stuff. I wash my hands constantly, not quite OCD, but close. my hands are pretty bad.

Last week when I knew I was in for a cold (my son got sick a couple days before) I knew it would be turning into a sinus infection. I went to the doctor before it got that far and convinced the PA that I needed antibiotics. I got it knocked down pretty fast.

As far as working out goes, sometimes you have to work through it if possible. At the onset of my cold I set a 25 lbs pr on squat and at the end of the week of being sick I matched my bench PR which was 20 lbs over what I had been doing the last several months.