T Nation

Working Out While Working a Job

I started working fulltime every day of the week usually from 4 till midnight. My question is, is it still alright to train before work even though I come home incredibly tired and exhausted as it is? Is eating once every 4 hours (while at work) enough to not go catabolic?

I’m 19 and I take Protein, ZMA, and Creatine when training.
Is it good to train while working as long as I eat enough and sleep enough?

Thanks!

1. yes
  2. yes
  3. Yes, what the hell, do you think no one on here has a jobA

Awesome, questions answered. I know people have jobs too, but I wasn’t sure if I was giving my body optimal conditions to recover.
Thanks

Yeah dude you can still lift for sure, at the factory I work at for the summer we got 5 hours without a break and about halfway through I try to sneak in a couple handfuls of cashews or almonds or a protein bar. Not sure if you would have an opportunity for that but just an idea to throw out there.

[quote]Euphoria89 wrote:
My question is, is it still alright to train before work even though I come home incredibly tired and exhausted as it is? [/quote]

Well, you obviously can’t workout after work, so that doesn’t leave you with many options.

Awesome, I just had the impression that if you can’t dedicate your day to following FULL proper diet, exercise, rest, you wouldn’t be gaining nearly as much muscle as if you were.

Thanx!

[quote]Euphoria89 wrote:
Awesome, I just had the impression that if you can’t dedicate your day to following FULL proper diet, exercise, rest, you wouldn’t be gaining nearly as much muscle as if you were.

Thanx![/quote]

Life is about sacrifices.

I imagine that if you didn’t work you wouldn’t be able to pay your bills, so you have to choose between “optimal” and reality.

I worked 60+ hours a week and still went to the gym. It was worth it, helped me NOT kill anybody from all the pent up stress! Plus I got to “get some muscles” as Arnold would say!

[quote]solidkhalid wrote:
I worked 60+ hours a week and still went to the gym. It was worth it, helped me NOT kill anybody from all the pent up stress! Plus I got to “get some muscles” as Arnold would say![/quote]

aww memories !

The best training i ever had was when i was working night !

it was 10 hours 4 days a week from 22:00 -> 08:00

so i slept from 09:00 till 17-18 and went training and then ate and worked… this was fucking awesome !

Get at least 7 hours of sleep. 8 is better but I can’t do that usually. I try to hit the sack between 11-11:30 and am up by 6:45, in the gym by 8. My morning includes a pre-workout supp with some go-go juice in it, but since I’ve moved to NYC I probably don’t need it much - the 20 min walk to the train station wakes me up.

As for nutrition, I work a desk job so it’s pretty flexible in regards to me hitting my meals, but I’ve had all kinds of times when I can’t get to a microwave or anything. So I have a couple bars handy, or pre-filled shakers with my real replacements so all I have to do is add water. I take high-protein bread powerbutter sandwiches.

Time your workout before work so that you can hit your PO meal right though - all meals are important but getting your post workout nutrition right is of utmost importance. Anyway, it’s all a matter of strategizing and being smart about where to make the sacrifices you know you’ll have to make.

If I don’t get my workout in it’s really hard to make it through the day.