Working Out When You're Sick?

What’s up everyone?

I am currently sick about to go workout. I have grew up with the old montra “sweat it out” the sickness that is. I know the thought is dumb but I have heard it a million times. Anyways, I was just wondering what everyone else thought about this age old philosophy or if they had one of there own.

-Cheers

It depends on how sick you really are. If you just have a bit of a cold, mostly just a clogged up nose and some genral stuffiness then I would still train.

On the other hand I am no believer in training through serious illness. If you feel bad, go home, lie down and take a day, or a few days off. In the long run, training while sick might hurt you, but taking a few days off will not.

I agree with Billy, as it depends on how sick you are…

Keep in mind, every 16-20 weeks it’s always a good idea to take a full week off to let your body recover from your training, so you could use this time for that…

Drink plenty of water, get extra rest (minimum 8 hours a day), eat clean, steam 3 times a day, and try one of those nasal rinses 3 times a day as well… You’ll be better in no time…

Like smallfry said be sure to drink plenty of water. Me, personally, do not lift when I am sick. If I have a cold though I will still do cardio. I have found that when I run when I am kinda sick, I blow the sickness out of my nose, as gross as that sounds.

TO sum it up:
Not when lifting
Yes when running

Again, like it was said before though, it depends on your sickness level. I know my body so I know what I can get away with.

Take the neck test, any symptoms above the neck (stuffy, runny nose, headache) go workout, if you have symptoms below the neck such as chills, aches, extremely sore throat…you best take a few days off. I have always felt that a moderate workout is good for the common cold above the neck common cold that is

Thanks everyone. I think that it’s just a sinus thing so I have been lifting. Numbers are a lil’ down but not too bad think I will have this thing kicked in a few more days just took down some NyQuil about to hit the hay.

PS. Like the idea about the neck test that’s good stuff makes sense

In my experience, thought on this falls into two camps:

Those who wuss out for 3 days while the illness passes.
Those who use their sackplums to tough it out for the 2 weeks while the illness passes.

[quote]el_presidente wrote:
In my experience, thought on this falls into two camps:

Those who wuss out for 3 days while the illness passes.
Those who use their sackplums to tough it out for the 2 weeks while the illness passes.[/quote]

This.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
Take the neck test, any symptoms above the neck (stuffy, runny nose, headache) go workout, if you have symptoms below the neck such as chills, aches, extremely sore throat…you best take a few days off. I have always felt that a moderate workout is good for the common cold above the neck common cold that is[/quote]

I like the neck test. Anything other than a cold and I take time off from all activity.

Any workout will cause heavier breathing, which can force illness into your lungs, leading to pneumonia. If that hits you, you can visit the hospital and then spend a few weeks barely surviving the staircase outside your apartment.

Last month I trained sick, it sucked I was so burned out after each set…should have stayed home.

stay home,
when you train, especially with weights, you’re immune system gets hit hard, even if its minor, working out could then make it worse, i learned this the hard way, instead of the 2-3 day cold it might of been, i hit the gym and it ended up being a 7-9 day epidemic of which i deffinitely could not work out,

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

The article is good if you read it all the way through.

Mahler is right about massage therapy. I am a therapist, and I have many RNs that come to me to flush out the cold quickly. You are sicker than a dog for about 24 hours, but you’re finished with the cold after that. To me, it’s better than battling a minor cold for 3-7 days.

[quote]goose27 wrote:

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

The article is good if you read it all the way through.[/quote]

Is it? Is there a sentence along the lines of " ‘flushing out the toxins’ is a wishy-washy phrase used by those who don’t have studies to back them up"?

[quote]goose27 wrote:

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

Is it? Is there a sentence along the lines of " ‘flushing out the toxins’ is a wishy-washy phrase used by those who don’t have studies to back them up"?[/quote]

It’s good, but not great. Flushing out “toxins” isn’t incredibly specific, but it does happen whether you’re working out, getting a massage, or hitting the sauna.

Are they really toxins? Not so much, but you are definitely flushing “stuff” out, whether it is some lactic acid (not a toxin, but can become toxic in excess), urea, or damaged muscle tissues and dead cells.

[quote]goose27 wrote:

[quote]goose27 wrote:

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

Is it? Is there a sentence along the lines of " ‘flushing out the toxins’ is a wishy-washy phrase used by those who don’t have studies to back them up"?[/quote]

It’s good, but not great. Flushing out “toxins” isn’t incredibly specific, but it does happen whether you’re working out, getting a massage, or hitting the sauna.

Are they really toxins? Not so much, but you are definitely flushing “stuff” out, whether it is some lactic acid (not a toxin, but can become toxic in excess), urea, or damaged muscle tissues and dead cells.[/quote]

erm. while there might be some plausible stuff in that article about psychology, the stuff about being stronger because of release of antibodies when you first get sick is complete bollocks. the immune system only releases a wave of antibodies at the end of its cycle of operation, i’m pretty sure it takes a week or so to get to that stage… once it does, the antibodies are tuned to the infection and finish it off. through the beginning of the illness your immune system is very busy trying to keep the bug in check and identify the best way to kill it… probably wont appreciate you wasting energy it needs by training.

as above, take it easy for a couple days, or push through it slowly for a couple weeks, happily infecting your family, workmates and other appreciative people around you.