Working Out Twice a Day

I am 16 years old 5’9 147 pounds. i want to gain 10-20 pounds in 5 months. ive done research about working out twice a day but it said some people it worked for them, some it didnt. if i worked out 5 days a week twice a day, would i be over training or will i gain some serious muscle?

doing legs at say 3 pm(squats, lunges hamstring curls) and then different leg workouts at 11pm power cleans, plyometrics, deadlifts). next day doing bench, shoulder press, rows at 3 pm, then close grip bench press, shrugs, curls, dips chinups etc at 11 pm? next day break. then repeat.

if you’re willing to workout 5 days a week, why jam working out your whole body into only 2 days?

Just get on a proven program and follow that

[quote]chs29 wrote:
I am 16 years old 5’9 147 pounds. i want to gain 10-20 pounds in 5 months.[/quote]
Considering you’ve gained 2 pounds in two and a half months, I think you need to reconsider your plan.

You got some good general advice in this thread:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/creatine_for_football

I’ll repeat what I said there:
“if you’re trying to gain size, you better be focused on eating as many egg and cheese sandwiches, roast beef sandwiches, and tuna sandwiches as possible. Don’t try to avoid carbs or fats. Eat plenty, sleep well, and be consistent with your training.”

You’ve also gotten good advice the few other times you’ve asked similar questions. The issue comes down to consistency and applying the advice you’re being given.

You do not need to train 10 times per week to see progress. To be blunt, that’s a fucking retarded idea.

Also, you should not be training at 11:00 at night. I can’t imagine a 16 year old with so many responsibilities (even including school and a part-time job) that made the only time to get to the gym that late at night. If you’re serious about gaining weight, a good night’s sleep will do you more good than a late-night workout, unless that workout is with a high school senior cheerleader.

Just like you’ve been told before, you need to eat consistently and train consistently. Is your shoulder 100% healthy now? I saw that you mentioned injuring it a while ago.

If you’re not 100% healthy, you need to get healthy in order to progress. That’s top priority. If you are cleared to go, and can hit the weights without restriction, Joe DeFranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards was literally designed for people like you - dudes trying to gain strong, muscular bodyweight in order to play their sport better:

Food-wise, try to be as involved in your own cooking as possible. I know that’s hard living at home, but you can absolutely scramble or hard-boil eggs, slap some meat in a pan, and bake a potato. Focus on the basic foods mentioned here:

All of them. You need calories that come from protein and carbs and fat. A workout shake before lifting would be a good addition.

Professor X trains twice a day, so maybe he can chime in.

Personally, I’ve tried doing so in the past and inevitably failed. Granted, I can certainly “train” once a day and then “workout” later that day for a total of two workouts for that day, but I get extremely burned out mentally by trying to get myself in the mindframe that I come into my training sessions with. It’s not a CNS issue or anything like that–just psychological.

So, I honestly don’t see how people really train twice a day–like, balls-to-the-wall train. I couldn’t do it mentally, even if my body could hold up (which it probably would for like two weeks, then end up injured).

I trained twice a day mostly when dropping weight. I may only do that about 4 times a week now…like today. I did shoulders this morning, but I was in a rush and only had about 30min…so even though the workout was good, I did not go to my heaviest weights and I left out rear delts…so the plan is to hit those areas tonight.

It makes it harder for me to gain weight though. My metabolism is already fast so I really have to throw down some calories to gain weight training twice a day.

I would NOT recommend most beginners do this though. I know what my limits are. I know I can get a good workout only going up to a 55lbs dumbbell for curls just based on the length of the reps and how I hold the contraction. That means I cans till stimulate growth without tearing myself up in the morning and hit it harder at night.

A newb does not know the difference and will likely set themselves up to just stagnate.

There is a shit load of listening to my body going on…and that took time to figure out.

Bottom line, don’t be a dumbass and train 10 times a week as a newb. Save that for if you have the genetics for it and when you know your body better and can tell when you have truly had enough.

But I know one thing…training twice a day beats cardio hands down for getting that fat off.

I’ve found what works for me.

[quote]chs29 wrote:
I am 16 years old 5’9 147 pounds. i want to gain 10-20 pounds in 5 months. ive done research about working out twice a day but it said some people it worked for them, some it didnt. if i worked out 5 days a week twice a day, would i be over training or will i gain some serious muscle? [/quote]

It might be better to train 6 days a week while training twice on three of those days. So you have 9 workouts a week while only doing two-a-days three days instead of five. Just an idea. Keep the workouts short and to the point, minimal or no cardio.

Who gets a better workout for the day:

Person A: chest/tris in one 1:15 minute session

Person B: Chest/tris, chest in the morning 45 min, tris in the evening 30 min.

I would say B.

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]chs29 wrote:
I am 16 years old 5’9 147 pounds. i want to gain 10-20 pounds in 5 months. ive done research about working out twice a day but it said some people it worked for them, some it didnt. if i worked out 5 days a week twice a day, would i be over training or will i gain some serious muscle? [/quote]

It might be better to train 6 days a week while training twice on three of those days. So you have 9 workouts a week while only doing two-a-days three days instead of five. Just an idea. Keep the workouts short and to the point, minimal or no cardio.

Who gets a better workout for the day:

Person A: chest/tris in one 1:15 minute session

Person B: Chest/tris, chest in the morning 45 min, tris in the evening 30 min.

I would say B.

[/quote]

good post

one way you can do it

day 1 push - chest morning should/tri at night
day 2 pull - back in morning, biceps at night
day 3 legs - quads in morning hams/calves at night
day 4 off or repeat

if you cant train twice everyday then just do it in one session

for big muscles 2-3 movements and smaller ones 2

or instead of splitting it up by part you can do compounds in the morning and isolation at night

if you eat everything in sight this could do well if you eat only a little bit more or the same as you have so far in life you wont go anywehre

Considering your 16 and want to put on mass, I would advise against 2 session days. 2 session days can be very taxing, and you would need to sleep and eat alot. Dont you have school to attend and girls to chase? I think your overthinking things. I would keep it simple, lift 4-5 times a week and start eating and sleeping alot more.

Uncle Bird.

tweet

Like some have said, no real need to start off training twice a day. My best friend was playing qb at university, he was scrawny in high school, 150 or so, but could throw the ball a mile somehow. Either way in college after his first season he was told he needed to gain some weight so i put him on the following plan. He is an incredibly smart guy and i know that when i told him things like EATING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART, he would listen. The first and most basic advice i gave him was cook up a large batch of multigrain spaghetti, hamburger and tomato sauce. Eat this 5 times a day and hammer a shake after working out with a gatorade. I always loved poliquin, am level 1 certified PICP which is nothing but still, I told him to do poliquin two a days which look like this

Day 1 chest and back
AM
A1 14 inch bench press-5x3-5 301 90sec
A2 pull-up-5x3-5 301 90sec
B1 Incline Dumbell press 5x3-5 301 90sec
B2 Seated cable row-5x3-5 301 90sec
C1 External rotation-3x8-10 4020 60sec

PM
A1 14 inch bench press-3x3-5 505 60sec
A2 pull-up-3x3-5 505 60sec
B1 Incline Dumbell press 3x3-5 505 60sec
B2 Seated cable row-3x3-5 505 60sec
C1 side lateral raise-3x8-10 2020 60sec

Obviously i knew him, could show him how to do the lifts which is more important then anything, but heres at least a layout, high reps can be done in the evening or eccentric only training. Include a leg day and a seperate arm day. Drop the evening workout every 3rd week

also moral of the story, got up to 188 by the next season

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]chs29 wrote:
I am 16 years old 5’9 147 pounds. i want to gain 10-20 pounds in 5 months.[/quote]
Considering you’ve gained 2 pounds in two and a half months, I think you need to reconsider your plan.

You got some good general advice in this thread:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/creatine_for_football

I’ll repeat what I said there:
“if you’re trying to gain size, you better be focused on eating as many egg and cheese sandwiches, roast beef sandwiches, and tuna sandwiches as possible. Don’t try to avoid carbs or fats. Eat plenty, sleep well, and be consistent with your training.”

You’ve also gotten good advice the few other times you’ve asked similar questions. The issue comes down to consistency and applying the advice you’re being given.

You do not need to train 10 times per week to see progress. To be blunt, that’s a fucking retarded idea.

Also, you should not be training at 11:00 at night. I can’t imagine a 16 year old with so many responsibilities (even including school and a part-time job) that made the only time to get to the gym that late at night. If you’re serious about gaining weight, a good night’s sleep will do you more good than a late-night workout, unless that workout is with a high school senior cheerleader.

Just like you’ve been told before, you need to eat consistently and train consistently. Is your shoulder 100% healthy now? I saw that you mentioned injuring it a while ago.

If you’re not 100% healthy, you need to get healthy in order to progress. That’s top priority. If you are cleared to go, and can hit the weights without restriction, Joe DeFranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards was literally designed for people like you - dudes trying to gain strong, muscular bodyweight in order to play their sport better:

Food-wise, try to be as involved in your own cooking as possible. I know that’s hard living at home, but you can absolutely scramble or hard-boil eggs, slap some meat in a pan, and bake a potato. Focus on the basic foods mentioned here:

All of them. You need calories that come from protein and carbs and fat. A workout shake before lifting would be a good addition.[/quote]

I can completly udnerstand it, in high school i had 2 hour football practices, or hockey or rugby, every night after school. school till 330, didnt get home till about 630 supper, homework. Got up and went to the gym at 5 every morning for 4 years. High school might have been the busiest time of my life lol. Now a university student? lol different story

Thanks alot! hopefully i have the same results as your friend.

5x5 program and GOMAD