T Nation

Working Out Twice a Day?

I'm 18 y/o 5'9 175lbs and have been working out consistently for about 2 years with great progress but have encountered a problem...School. Summer was great, but this past monday school started as well as a new job. As it is now I have class from 11-4 on mon, 11-2 wed and fri then work tues, thurs, and sat from 11-6. Now I lift with a buddy at my college gym m,w,f mornings from 9:30-10:30ish but it doesnt seem like enough. Im used to training at least an hour and a half 5 days a week but now my training time is cut significantly because i train with a friend in just an hours time. I could train after work too but by then I'm too tired and before work would mean waking up extra early everyday except sunday. Ultimately I'm wondering if and AM/PM workout plan is a good solution and if it is would I train completely different muscle groups or the same AM and PM. I know usually training the same muscle group twice a day would be a terrible idea, but I really dont feel like I'm getting anything out off these morning workouts. Any suggestions?

Actually training the same muscle group in one day is a great idea. If one has the time, energy, nutritional resources, and right supplementation, this can actually be the best way to train according to Poliquin. Check out his article here:http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/question_of_strength_10

and again:

I also believe Dave Tate is currently training twice a day. You can follow his log here:
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp

I think that if all the factors are perfect, training twice a day is awesome; however, If your supplementation, diet, sleep, and other factors aren’t dialed in, it can also be detrimental to your body and cause overtraining quickly. I personally wouldn’t train twice a day unless It was my job because I would not be able to direct 100 % of my life towards it.

1 hour lifting is more than enough.

Are you doing Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Presses, Pullups, and sprinting?

I’d honestly suggest just making the lifting sessions short and intense (bring down the rest periods).

You’re at college, right? Where I go, Racquetball is really popular. You can grab a friend and go play a game or two, and that’s preferable to cardio, at least for me.

Good luck, hope it all works out.

If applicable. http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_superaccumulation_program

Lots of people have trouble recovering past 3 hard workouts a week.

[quote]laxplayer16 said:
…but it doesnt seem like enough.
[/quote]
(emphasis mine)

[quote]laxplayer16 said:
but I really dont feel like I’m getting anything out off these morning workouts.
[/quote]
(emphasis mine)

“Seem?” “Feel?” Progress is measurable. Either you’re making it or not. Are you? If not, what do you think the problem is? Why do you assume you need more volume (I bet you need less)?

Look, anyone can workout twice a day 7 days a week, but if you’re not adding weight to the bar weekly or bi-weekly (since you’re a beginner), you’re doing it wrong.

Look. An hour a day three days a week is, really, enough time. Look at wendlers 5/3/1 for an example of a great program that you can do three days a week and gain.

I’m just curious, what are your stats? Lifting #'s, height, weight, time training.

Thanks for the replies guys, I’ve been pretty busy but finally got some time to hop on. Anyways, I’ve been training for the past few months early afternoon because it was summer and all, i got some good ups in my lift numbers. here’s my stats:

Height: 5ft 9in
Weight: 177 lbs
Time training: about 2 years
Bench: 265lbs x3
Squat: 305lbs x5
Deadlift: 295lbs x2

Havent maxed out in a while, and I just did Deads on Friday and attempted 315lbs but was too tired and my grip gave. I will say that i tried an AM/PM split this past friday and it was great, AM. I worked shoulders and arms, that was a good workout by itself, but then i hit the gym after class and manhandled my legs.

Squats and Deads, 5 sets of each, just hammering out as much as i could do. My legs have been dead all day which is great. I guess I’ll just have to test it out for myself. I’m in the process of reading these articles and what I’ve read so far has been very insightful, thanks for posting them guys. I appreciate anything at all guys, just keep it comin.