Working Out Only 1 - 3 Times Per Week

I’d also like to know what severe time constraints means. Notice the OP hasn’t answered this question.

[quote]Gup wrote:

dowintucson - sounds good. I was kinda worried about doing front squats and deads on the same day. I see you totally took out squats altogether for extended sets…you just overlooked it or purposely didn’t include them? The other way to squeeze in exercises is unique. Never thought of it that way…
[/quote]

Between squats and deadlifts, I just picked one to go on upper-body-emphasis day, and the other went on lower-body-emphasis day. That’s all. you could just as easily do squats for multiple sets on lower-body-emphasis day, and do deads for just one set on upper-body-emphasis day. I was just thinking out loud on how you could do it when I gave the example.

If it were me, I would do my very best to make it 3x/week, and would do it as an upper/lower split, everything being trained 3x per 2 weeks, with the lats and midback getting stimulation also on the lower-body days via deadlifts or rack pulls.

However if preferred for any reason, a push/pull split would be fine, in this case grouping squats with the push exercises (for practical reasons.)

Don’t knock short workouts Gup. I mean, if the gym is a 30 minute commute, I can see how a 30m workout would be annoying. But if a shorter workout gets you in there more often, then it’s probably worth it.

Do you know in advance how many days you’ll have for training?

If it’s only 1 day a week, it should be total body. If days are back-to-back, it should be splits. If the number and spacing of days are uncertain, I kind of like the “semi-total-body” idea.

Agree with the suggestion to superset where you can. It’s a great time saver.

well, if you have the time, then I would increase your weight every set, and REALLY push yourself. But you’d rest longer, say 2-3 minutes. Rather than 1-2. You know? Really let your CNS recover from going heavy. In terms of olympic lifts, this is what you could do… on your upper body days, replace the standing push press with incline dumbs or barbells press. Which leaves you room to do clean and presses on lower body. You want to do them first in your workout, when you’re fresh, due to the stress it puts on your lower back, and keep the reps no more over 5.

Also, fully recover from your clean and press sets, because you’ll be going heavier. I repeat, I REPEAT, do not start a set if you’re still huffing and puffing. These are a very dangerous exercise and if you’re not accustomed to them, you will severely mess yourself up. Just do them as is, no supersets.

Upper Body Day (3-4 sets x6-8 reps) (60-90 seconds rest between sets)
A1. Dumb-bell flat bench
A2. Pull-ups

B1. Incline barbell press
B2. Bent-over barbell rows

C1. Dips (keep body upright to emphasize tri-ceps)
C2. Standing bar-bell curls

Abs

Lowerbody- same rep scheme and rest intervals

Barbell clean and press- 4x4 (2 minutes rest). After these, then start everything else.

A1. Front squat
A2. Barbell good mornings

B1. Deadlifts
B2. Barbell lunges

C1. Calve raises
C2. Abs

[quote]randman wrote:
I’d also like to know what severe time constraints means. Notice the OP hasn’t answered this question.[/quote]

x2

2x a week is worthless. A minimum of 3 for gains, don’t argue or bother with rebuttal, it is a universal truth.

also my girl just wrote her dissertation and gets her phd this month, do you know where she is now? she’s at the hospital because she has a year left on her md as well…she’s at the gym 5x week 1-2hrs each day, plus we have time for our relationship. family, plus relax time too.

time constraints are bs unless you are an astronaut and a brain surgeon.

i’m lazy though so don’t do as i do, i worked out and napped today.

I’ll be working 80 hour weeks (overnights and a day job) and still plan on gymming it up 4-5x a week, while still have some semblance of a social life. Hell, I was still able to do that when I had 3 jobs working 100 hr weeks. I just dont see what could be restraining your training so much that 3x a week is an absolute max, must suck.

[quote]jo3 wrote:
randman wrote:
I’d also like to know what severe time constraints means. Notice the OP hasn’t answered this question.

x2[/quote]

x3

[quote]Gup wrote:
downintucson wrote:
I’m a believer in hitting a bodypart more than once per week. I just happen to make better progress that way. You could do maybe two whole-body routines or a split routine with considerable overlap.

Maybe shift emphasis from upper to lower with a whole-body routine. Perhaps on day one you’d do all upper-body exercises for one set each, but do 3-4 (or whatever) sets for all lower-body exercises. Then, on day two, you’d reverse it and do the lower-body exercises for only one set each and do the upper-body for more volume. That way you’re not in the gym forever trying to get thru a whole-body routine.

If doing a split routine, maybe have chest on one day and shoulders and triceps on the next, to provide some overlap. And maybe lats and squats on one day and deadlifts on the next, again to provide some overlap.

Anyways, hope that helps.

Thanks for the only useful response so far!

The idea about shifting emphasis does sound good. So something like the following:

Upper Body Day (3-4 sets x6-8 reps)
Barbell Bench
Military Press
Seated Row
Lat Pulldown or Pullups
Hammer Curls
Tri Extensions

THEN the following for 1 set x10-12 reps
Front Squat
Deadlifts
Leg Curls or another exercise for the hams
Calf Raises
Forearms

Lower Body: just reverse the order and do lower body first

The only thing I see with this is that it will take forever! Definitely over an hour and even pushing twoâ?¦unless I supersetâ?¦.

[/quote]

What kind of results are you trying to get working out 1 or 2 days a week? 3 I can understand but consistancy is critical if you want to make relavent gains imo. If you are just a beginner, check out Nate Greens book. I have a friend that goes 3 days a week doing his program and is making some ok gains. I would try and make time for 4 days a week, I am married and work a full time job and have many hobbies golf, hiking, going on the lake but I put working out above most and never miss.

[quote]slippery_banana wrote:
jo3 wrote:
randman wrote:

x2

x3
[/quote]

Stop being dicks guys. He’s obviously a very busy man, hell the President of the US finds time to work out, but this guy apparently not.

[quote]Gup wrote:
Paul496 it’s all good man. I don’t take anything personally but still give a guy a break lol…

Appreciate the workout routines guys! dratner thanks man! That does like a good routine…if you didn’t have to cut it under 40, what else would you add? I don’t have time everyday to go but, when I do go, I can dedicate upwards of two hours in the gym. I just want to do something thorough…I was also thinking of implementing some OLY lifts into my workouts but just haven’t figured out what and where exactly. Before, when I did oly style lifts I would usually dedicate one or two exercises per week and would just switch 'em around.
[/quote]

Gup, I am not trying to flame you or be a jerk but why would you come on a website called testosterone nation and talk about possibly working out 1 day a week and then get mad when people on here tell you that they would suggest 3-4 days a week for gains.

Keep in mind that this is posted on the bodybuilding section. Bodybuilders typically bust their ass for the physique that they have and the idea of only working out 1 day a week is rediculus to most of us in here. I take a week off every 3-4 months to let my body recover, but other than that I never miss a day. Maybe try the beginner section or menshealth.com forums

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
slippery_banana wrote:
jo3 wrote:
randman wrote:

x2

x3

Stop being dicks guys. He’s obviously a very busy man, hell the President of the US finds time to work out, but this guy apparently not.
[/quote]

The President of the US is NOT a busy man.