T Nation

Working Out Every Day. Now What?

My routine (general outline):

Monday- weighted step ups (I alternate between this and suspintating leg raises)
abs
forarm + overall grip work

Tuesday: conventional deadlift, wide grip pull ups, 3 sets of bicep work

Wednesday: leg press (I alternate between this and machine hack squats), abs, and forearm + overall grip work

Thursday: flat bench press, 3 sets of tricep work, bent over barbell rows, a bit of seated close grip cable rows

Friday:leg press (I alternate between this and machine hack squats), abs, and forearm + overall grip work

Saturday: conventional deadlift, wide grip pull ups, 3 sets of bicep work

I am moderate intensity and reps for the exercises. I am not burning myself out and am taking things slow because I injured my shoulder a month ago and am slowly getting back into the grind.

Is it bad that I technically only have one rest day in my routine? It's not like I do upper body 2 days in a row..I'm not sure...

honestly, I think that routine is just awful.

You dedicate an entire day to sit ups and grip work?

[quote]Yogi wrote:

You dedicate an entire day to sit ups and grip work?[/quote]

Yeah, this. Day 1 looks like a rest day. And depending on the intensity of the leg press days, those could be counted as “rest” days also.

Get a new routine. Seriously.

Due to my poor posture and scoliosis, I cannot do squats, overhead press, and things of those nature for now at least. I specifically chose to have those as “rest days” because I did not want to do them on the my main lift days (bench, deadlift, rows, and so forth). I am also planning to do side lateral raises as well.

[quote]elevit2 wrote:
My routine (general outline):

Monday- weighted step ups (I alternate between this and suspintating leg raises)
abs
forarm + overall grip work

Tuesday: conventional deadlift, wide grip pull ups, 3 sets of bicep work

Wednesday: leg press (I alternate between this and machine hack squats), abs, and forearm + overall grip work

Thursday: flat bench press, 3 sets of tricep work, bent over barbell rows, a bit of seated close grip cable rows

Friday:leg press (I alternate between this and machine hack squats), abs, and forearm + overall grip work

Saturday: conventional deadlift, wide grip pull ups, 3 sets of bicep work

I am moderate intensity and reps for the exercises. I am not burning myself out and am taking things slow because I injured my shoulder a month ago and am slowly getting back into the grind.

Is it bad that I technically only have one rest day in my routine? It’s not like I do upper body 2 days in a row…I’m not sure…[/quote]

Ninety nine percent of the time when people ask such questions it unequivocally indicates they are a noob who doesn’t even need a split routine spread out over six days per week! After all, if they were so advanced they needed such sophisticated splits, they wouldn’t even be asking these questions; they would just instinctively know this is the way to go.

My educated guess is you’re a noob who should be on an upper-lower split or full body routine, though some will disagree with my opinion.

What is your weight and height? Are you lean or chubby or fat? You don’t have to give a percentage considering lately most noobs think they are at eleven percent bodyfat (no insult here, considering many people’s perception of bodyfat is off).

What is your estimated one RM in bench, squat, overhead press, deadlift, bent over row or variations of them. Though I am not speaking of powerlifting here (at all), these lifts give a good indication of where someone is at when taking weight into account too.

Barring severe muscular imbalances or other things messed up, you should really be concerned with a linear progression program where the focus is on bench, press, deads, squats, rows, chinups, dips, curls, and stuff for the core. Sure, throw in leg curls or calf raises or flyes if you must for weak bodyparts, but you get the drift. Then perhaps a year, or maybe YEARS, later, you can experiment more.

[quote]elevit2 wrote:
Due to my poor posture and scoliosis, I cannot do squats, overhead press, and things of those nature for now at least. I specifically chose to have those as “rest days” because I did not want to do them on the my main lift days (bench, deadlift, rows, and so forth). I am also planning to do side lateral raises as well. [/quote]

I would work on that poor posture and do the appropriate corrective exercises to get you in gear to do other exercises. Perhaps you can do lunges, leg presses, and trap bar deadlifts.

We posted at the same time. As asked before, what are your numbers in the main lifts?

Mon
Whatever corrective/posture/rehab stuff you need
Step Up
Leg Press alternated week to week with Hack Squat
Hamstring
Cable Rows
Abs

Wed
posture/prehab/corrective
Close Grip
Tricep Work
Pullups
Abs

Fri
Bent Rows
Deadlift
Biceps
Traps

You like going to the gym, so do grip, calves, extra arms, more abs, more postural stuff, extra upper back on the in-between days, or “off days” for fun. Work the big lifts that you can do a little harder, and rest a little more than you have been doing. Then, you can do all the little stuff on your “free” days without eating into recovery time.

Also, you do a lot of grip work. What sort of lifts have you been doing? I’ve been “flipping and catching” bumper plates with a pinch grip. It’s been great for thumbs and wrists.

[quote]elevit2 wrote:
Is it bad that I technically only have one rest day in my routine? It’s not like I do upper body 2 days in a row…I’m not sure…[/quote]

It’s a shame you’re wasting a lot of effort and potential on such an awful setup.

[quote]elevit2 wrote:
Due to my poor posture and scoliosis, I cannot do squats, overhead press, and things of those nature for now at least. I specifically chose to have those as “rest days” because I did not want to do them on the my main lift days (bench, deadlift, rows, and so forth). I am also planning to do side lateral raises as well. [/quote]

I believe you, but it seems really weird to me that you can’t squat with scoliosis, but you can leg press. Like real odd…

What specifically are you hoping to achieve with this routine?

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
What specifically are you hoping to achieve with this routine?[/quote]
x2

Where did the inspiration come from as well? Makes no sense.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]elevit2 wrote:

I believe you, but it seems really weird to me that you can’t squat with scoliosis, but you can leg press. Like real odd…[/quote]

Likewise - not to mention you deadlift? But can’t squat? I reckon it looks pretty terrible as far as programs go. IMO you’d be better off doing three days a week of actual lifting and two days a week of prehab/rehab to improve your back and posture as much as possible.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

You’re right, too much time dedicated to situps, and not enough for grip work. Grip needs to be worked a minimum of 4 days per week (that’s the climber in me talking).

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

You’re right, too much time dedicated to situps, and not enough for grip work. Grip needs to be worked a minimum of 4 days per week (that’s the climber in me talking).[/quote]

lol, never figured you for a troll!

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

You’re right, too much time dedicated to situps, and not enough for grip work. Grip needs to be worked a minimum of 4 days per week (that’s the climber in me talking).[/quote]

Welcome back

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]elevit2 wrote:

I would work on that poor posture and do the appropriate corrective exercises to get you in gear to do other exercises. Perhaps you can do lunges, leg presses, and trap bar deadlifts.

We posted at the same time. As asked before, what are your numbers in the main lifts?[/quote]

About a month ago, my numbers were:

conventional deadlift: 345lb for 2 reps, so 355lb 1rm.
Squat- Again, I am not going to do this. Not everyone can do squats and with my inflexible shoulders, poor posture, mild scoliosis I am not planning to do this.
Bench: I am not sure where I am at right now because I took a break from this, again due to poor postural problems, etc where bench really isn’t recommended. Before I was at 170 for 5 reps about a month and a half ago.
OHP: Again, I am not going to do this because of my postural issues/shoulder. Before I did 130 for 5 reps. Part of my shoulder issues originated from this exercise.
Bent over barbell rows currently: 140 x5.

I am 5’8 and currently weigh 168.

When I first started working out in a serious manner last summer, I did SL 5x5 but have since then decided that it’s not for me. My body was unable to handle the continuous progression from week to week, couple days to days. I am still employing the principals of SL 5x5 but want to do other modifications as I’ve mentioned before.

What do you think of the “Fierce 5” program? You can find it on the bodybuilding forum. I was referred to this program from another member but my set up is somewhat similar and out of this program I do not want to do the following: incline or decline bench (not now at least due to my physical issues), pendelay row (I am doing Bent over BB row instead-there are alternatives on the program), Romanian deadlift, front squat, squat. Again I’ll be doing the alternatives. What I got useful from this program though is knowing when to do calf raises and leg curls, although I am still confused on when I should really be doing the calf raises, lying leg curls, seated calf extension/standing calf extension, hack squat/leg press, suspinated alternative leg raise (if I even really need this), step ups, weighted lunges and weighted goblet squats with either a kettle bell or dumbbell. Another question: from these, which ones should I do and not do? In terms of grip work/forearm work, it would make sense to me to do those either after my workouts or on separate days away from my main lifts.

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
Mon
Whatever corrective/posture/rehab stuff you need
Step Up
Leg Press alternated week to week with Hack Squat
Hamstring
Cable Rows
Abs

Wed
Close Grip
Tricep Work
Pullups
Abs

Fri
Bent Rows
Deadlift
Biceps
Traps

You like going to the gym, so do grip, calves, extra arms, more abs, more postural stuff, extra upper back on the in-between days, or “off days” for fun. Work the big lifts that you can do a little harder, and rest a little more than you have been doing. Then, you can do all the little stuff on your “free” days without eating into recovery time.

Also, you do a lot of grip work. What sort of lifts have you been doing? I’ve been “flipping and catching” bumper plates with a pinch grip. It’s been great for thumbs and wrists.[/quote]

I am looking to do bench day twice per week (along with every exercise that goes along with it such as bent over rows, cable rows, tricep work) and deadlift day twice per week (along with the exercises such as wide grip pull up, bicep work).

So something like Monday bench day, wednesday DL day, and Friday bench day where I will keep alternating. Look at my latest post to get a more detailed idea of where I am at. Based off your suggestion, I will only be doing the main lifts then once per week, which I guess would give me more time to rest but most workout programs such as SL 5x5 and fierce 5 do the alternating program.

Sounds like you want an upper/lower split.

Bench Press
Tri’s/Upper Back/Delt

Deadlift Heavy
Leg Press/Hacksquats
Leg Extension/Leg Curl

Bench Press
Tri’s/Upper Back/Delts

Deadlift Light
Chins/Biceps/Low Back-Glutes-Hamstrings

How much equipment are you able to use? If your shoulders are uneven and your posture is bad, you may want to include some single arm and single leg work to balance yourself out. For example one day you bench press, barbell row, and do skull crushers. On your second upper body day you do dumbbell incline bench press, 1 arm dumbbell rows and dumbbell tri extensions.

One day you do pull-ups, but on the other day you do some 1 arm pulldowns and 1 arm rows. On deadlift day you do conventional deads, but do your leg curls or calf raises 1 leg at a time.

Do the big stuff for strength and the smaller iso stuff one arm/leg at a time to be sure you don’t miss anything.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]elevit2 wrote:

We posted at the same time. As asked before, what are your numbers in the main lifts?[/quote]

Ok, here is the routine I have came up with so far, let me know what you think. Thank you.

Monday: gripforarm work + hanging ab leg raise or another ab exercise.
grip work: either plate pinch, farmer walk, hex dumbell hold, or fat bar hold. I’m still not sure how often I should do each one and if I should combine certain ones together or not.

Tuesday:

conventional deadlift: 1x5

wide grip pull ups (I will change the grip at some point) 3x8.

bicep: preacher ez bar curl, 3x8-10. Incline hammer: 3x8-10. I will be alternating the bicep exercises but I want to do 6 sets per week total with 2 bicep exercises in total.

leg press: 3-4 sets of 12-20 reps. I will try hack squat once I figure out the position where I will not feel it in my knees but rather soley my quads.

Lying leg curl: 3-4 x 10-15 reps.

Goblet squat: 3-4x 8-12 reps.

Wednesday: Again, this will be grip/froaem day along with more ab work. I will be doing rehab/postural exercises on these days as well.

Thursday: Flat bench: I will be starting light and will be doing 6x5 paused reps until I hit my old weight (130) and will then use Greg nuckol’s beginner bench plan (2x week, although I’m now considering to do bench just once per week on account of my shoulder and the fact that too much bench will just prevent me from fixing my poor posture). I am also possibly going to do some push up work as well on the side. I don’t know if this will be entirely necessary though.

Bent over barbell row: Again, I’m starting light here due to my injury/sitation with 100 lb and am going to do 3x5-4x5-5x5- and 6x5. after 6x5, i will increase by 5 lb and start the routine over.

I was thinking about doing a bit of close, neutral grip cable row work after my barbell rows but am not sure if it would be over kill. It seems like it would be though. The plan for this would be to find 75% of my max and then do 3x10–3x11–3x12 and after I successfully hit my 3x12, I would increase the weight. I would then do T-bar rows about 3-4 weeks after cable rows with the same set up.

Tricep work: tricep pull/press down, about 60lb for now (want to go light) with 3 sets of 8-10 reps. ON the other day of the week I wold do overhead tricep extenion at 25 lb for now for 3 sets of 8-10 reps. so 6 sets of tricep work/week.

goblet squat- I will use 45lb and do 8-12 reps.

Eventually once my shoulders are stronger I will incorporate side lateral raises. 2x8

I will be doing face pulls right now: 3x10 where I will increase by 5 lb every month (note, many of this stuff is coming from my past experience and the Fierce 5 program)

Friday: grip/forarm + abs

Saturday- same DL routine again.

Sunday- cardio to get everything loose from the week. stretchign as well.

I’m still not sure if I should do step ups or not.

Fierce 5 program says to increase upper body by 5 lb per week and lower by 10lb…not too sure about this…

Again, I’m thinking it would be wise just to do bench 1x/week.

[quote]elevit2 wrote:

What do you think of the “Fierce 5” program? You can find it on the bodybuilding forum. I was referred to this program from another member but my set up is somewhat similar and out of this program I do not want to do the following: incline or decline bench (not now at least due to my physical issues), pendelay row (I am doing Bent over BB row instead-there are alternatives on the program), Romanian deadlift, front squat, squat. Again I’ll be doing the alternatives. What I got useful from this program though is knowing when to do calf raises and leg curls, although I am still confused on when I should really be doing the calf raises, lying leg curls, seated calf extension/standing calf extension, hack squat/leg press, suspinated alternative leg raise (if I even really need this), step ups, weighted lunges and weighted goblet squats with either a kettle bell or dumbbell. Another question: from these, which ones should I do and not do? In terms of grip work/forearm work, it would make sense to me to do those either after my workouts or on separate days away from my main lifts.
[/quote]

Actually your lifts are not bad at all for your weight, and I think you will be on the road to being impressive.

I am not familiar with the program at all. You went through a lengthy list of leg exercises. If you are doing a full body program, that will leave only room for one or two leg exercises per workout, say squats and leg curls or perhaps deadlifts and lunges or only squats or only deadlifts depending on everything else.

If I were to do a squat based leg workout for an upper-lower split it would look like this:

1. leg curls or GHR’s
  2. squats
  3. stiff legged deadlifts or hyperextension
  4. calf raises
  5. leg raises

If I were to do a deadlift based lower body workout it would look like this:

1. deadlift
  2. leg press or hack squat
  3. hyperextension or pull through
  4. calf raises
  5. ab wheel

Or I were to do squats and deadlifts in same workout, I might only do those two exercises and something non-taxing, like only calves and abs, and that is it, and leave other exercises for the second lower body workout of the week.

I would do grip work on lower body days, if you want to include that. So do plate pinches or various holds or farmer’s walks (in place of lunges, say) or whatever on your lower body days.

This is how I do things. I am not the foremost expert though. I’m a frustrated bodybuilder. :slight_smile: