Working Out Barefoot?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
I <3 my Vibrams for teh squat and teh deads and teh mil pressin’

Edit: Forgot teh legz work[/quote]

You wear shoes?

I thought big foot went barefoot.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
The main reason for deadlifting barefoot or in deadlifting slippers is to reduce the distance the bar has to travel. Stability and ‘feel’ would follow as reasons, and also apply to squat and OHP. Other than that, there aren’t any performance-related reasons.

The people I see wearing these are generally the same ones that feel the need to wear underarmour gear from head to toe, and enormous Beats headphones. In other words, their place in the weight room is mostly trendy and superfluous.[/quote]

PX wears them, I am sure he would love to hear how trendy and shallow he is.

You ever think that sometimes there are things out there that are great work out tools, but are over used by the masses. Then you get a small % of people who are going to be obstinate just to go against the norm? That does not make the tool useless. [/quote]

Where did I say they were a useless tool? I feel like you just sort of skimmed my post without actually paying attention to what I said. The entire first paragraph was devoted to their practical use. I ACKNOWLEDGED they are useful. In the second paragraph, I said that the people that I SEE in them are GENERALLY wearing them because they’re trendy.

I don’t remember mentioning PX at all, can you show me where I did? I’m sure he wears them because he likes to wear them. That doesn’t mean what I said is wrong. You provided a single counterexample. I was just making a general statement about my own observations in the gyms I have been to.

FTR, I own Vibrams. I would wear them for deadlifting, but my dog chewed up the drawstring thing on the backs, so I just deadlift barefoot now.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
The main reason for deadlifting barefoot or in deadlifting slippers is to reduce the distance the bar has to travel. Stability and ‘feel’ would follow as reasons, and also apply to squat and OHP. Other than that, there aren’t any performance-related reasons.

The people I see wearing these are generally the same ones that feel the need to wear underarmour gear from head to toe, and enormous Beats headphones. In other words, their place in the weight room is mostly trendy and superfluous.[/quote]

You ever think that sometimes there are things out there that are great work out tools, but are over used by the masses. Then you get a small % of people who are going to be obstinate just to go against the norm? That does not make the tool useless. [/quote]

Where did I say they were a useless tool? I feel like you just sort of skimmed my post without actually paying attention to what I said. The entire first paragraph was devoted to their practical use. I ACKNOWLEDGED they are useful. In the second paragraph, I said that the people that I SEE in them are GENERALLY wearing them because they’re trendy. I don’t remember mentioning PX at all, can you show me where I did? I’m sure he wears them because he likes to wear them. That doesn’t mean what I said is wrong. You provided a single counterexample. I was just making a general statement about my own observations in the gyms I have been to.

FTR, I own Vibrams. I would wear them for deadlifting, but my dog chewed up the drawstring thing on the backs, so I just deadlift barefoot now.
[/quote]

That was not really directed at you, it was more of a general question.

Sorry for the misquoting.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

Where did I say they were a useless tool? I feel like you just sort of skimmed my post without actually paying attention to what I said. The entire first paragraph was devoted to their practical use. I ACKNOWLEDGED they are useful. In the second paragraph, I said that the people that I SEE in them are GENERALLY wearing them because they’re trendy. I don’t remember mentioning PX at all, can you show me where I did? I’m sure he wears them because he likes to wear them. That doesn’t mean what I said is wrong. You provided a single counterexample. I was just making a general statement about my own observations in the gyms I have been to.

[/quote]

That was not really directed at you, it was more of a general question.

Sorry for the misquoting. [/quote]

No worries. You’re from Texas, and it’s impossible for me to hate on a Texan.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I don’t remember mentioning PX at all, can you show me where I did? I’m sure he wears them because he likes to wear them.
[/quote]

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I don’t remember mentioning PX at all, can you show me where I did? I’m sure he wears them because he likes to wear them.
[/quote]

I remember this thread. I feel like you misread what I wrote, lol. All I said there was that I didn’t bring up X in my post, not that X never talked about his shoes.

Working out barefoot is the best. One of the many reasons to workout at home.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
[/quote]

I remember this thread. I feel like you misread what I wrote, lol. All I said there was that I didn’t bring up X in my post, not that X never talked about his shoes. [/quote]

I see. I actually did misread your post.

In any case, OP, that link has some more discussion of peoples experiences at least with Vibrams and similar “almost barefoot” footwear. Hope that helps you.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:
Good way to contract MRSA. Just wear those ridiculous shoes that everybody raves about.

CS[/quote]

Lol

Sorry there is no correlation between MRSA and barefoot/Vibrams.

[/quote]

from wiki, it mainly talks about higher risk for football players getting turf burns and such but does mention skin contact in gyms and locker rooms causing some infections so i would think barefoot could increase risk perhaps. if i had a home gym i would consider lifting barefoot but just couldnt go barefoot at public gym… probably just stick with my merrills with vibram soles.

In the United States, there have been increasing numbers of reports of outbreaks of MRSA colonization and infection through skin contact in locker rooms and gyms, even among healthy populations[citation needed]. A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine linked MRSA to the abrasions caused by artificial turf.[18] Three studies by the Texas State Department of Health found that the infection rate among football players was 16 times the national average. In October 2006, a high school football player was temporarily paralyzed from MRSA-infected turf burns. His infection returned in January 2007 and required three surgeries to remove infected tissue, as well as three weeks of hospital stay

[quote]BetsyMatkovich wrote:
I notice that more and more people are working out in those 5 toe shoes or going barefoot altogether. Is it better to workout barefoot? What’s the reason behind shoeless workouts?

[/quote]

Study done in 1905 no doubt!

Came across this awhile back and it makes you wonder that they (shoe companies) knew that shoes/runners fucked your feet up but still tried to tell us wearing over priced mini air cushioned mattresses under our feet was better???

The pictures of non-shoe wearing feet compared to those of shoe wearers is most striking

http://bsmpg.com/Portals/52884/docs/1905Hoffman.pdf

Abstract
http://jbjs.org/article.aspx?Volume=s2-3&page=105

[quote]js252 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Good way to contract MRSA. Just wear those ridiculous shoes that everybody raves about.

CS[/quote]

Lol

[/quote]

from wiki, it mainly talks about higher risk for football players getting turf burns and such but does mention skin contact in gyms and locker rooms causing some infections so i would think barefoot could increase risk perhaps. if i had a home gym i would consider lifting barefoot but just couldnt go barefoot at public gym… probably just stick with my merrills with vibram soles.

In the United States, there have been increasing numbers of reports of outbreaks of MRSA colonization and infection through skin contact in locker rooms and gyms, even among healthy populations[citation needed]. A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine linked MRSA to the abrasions caused by artificial turf.[18] Three studies by the Texas State Department of Health found that the infection rate among football players was 16 times the national average. In October 2006, a high school football player was temporarily paralyzed from MRSA-infected turf burns. His infection returned in January 2007 and required three surgeries to remove infected tissue, as well as three weeks of hospital stay
[/quote]

1. Wiki is not a reliable reference.
  2. It has nothing to do with foot wear it is not a Tinea (fungal infection)

Until there are peer reviewed studies that show a correlation between footwear and MRSA infection everything else is just unprofessional assumptions.

The reasons for the “outbreaks” in gym locker rooms etc, is due to improper hygiene and cleaning. Guys will not wash there clothes and workout multiple days etc.

Oh yeh I’ve been wearing Nike Frees for years and train barefoot (shitty socks to be more precise lol). Its all about tactility, the direct contact with the floor, gripping the floor with your toes, accurately feeling where the foot is applying the most pressure etc. It’s just way better imo

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
The reasons for the “outbreaks” in gym locker rooms etc, is due to improper hygiene and cleaning. Guys will not wash there clothes and workout multiple days etc. [/quote]

X2

I run a gym and let me tell you about some of the shit that drops of people, Jayzuz you would even see in it down the farm lol. Anywhere where people get naked, sweat, urinate, shit, shower etc. you are going to have an increased risk of infection, plain and simple! It only takes one fucker with athletes foot, verrucas, scabies, whatever to spread that shite onto an unsuspecting group of useers if precautionary measures are not followed

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]js252 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

CS[/quote]

Lol

[/quote]

[/quote]

Until there are peer reviewed studies that show a correlation between footwear and MRSA infection everything else is just unprofessional assumptions.

The reasons for the “outbreaks” in gym locker rooms etc, is due to improper hygiene and cleaning. Guys will not wash there clothes and workout multiple days etc. [/quote]

CSEagles was not saying wearing Vibrams will increase risk of MRSA he said going barefoot will.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]js252 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

CS[/quote]

Lol

[/quote]

[/quote]

yeah i know i shouldnt have went with wiki, webmd (is that like the wiki of medical sites??) does say the same thing though that it is spread by contact. says you could get MRSA by touching another person who has it on the skin. Or you could get it by touching objects that have the bacteria on them.

[quote]js252 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]js252 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

CS[/quote]

Lol

[/quote]

[/quote]

yeah i know i shouldnt have went with wiki, webmd (is that like the wiki of medical sites??) does say the same thing though that it is spread by contact. says you could get MRSA by touching another person who has it on the skin. Or you could get it by touching objects that have the bacteria on them.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/understanding-mrsa-methicillin-resistant-staphylococcus-aureus[/quote]

Honestly Webmd is the wiki for the medical field. It targets the lay person.

I have worked in the medical field for 20 years, before MRSA. It is a serious issue, it is harder to get than just touching something with the bacteria on it. Most of the time it has to do with contact time, duration, and most of the time open wounds. Small cuts, infected hairs, pimples etc these are all opening into to the body that if you have something in contact with the bacteria gives it that pathway.

How many lbs has barefoot v shoes added to you key lifts?

I get the issue with stability and the shoes changing the mechanics of the movement subtly. Which can lead to knee and hip issues. Though there are plenty of shoes available on the market that negate these issues to a sufficient and safe level if you shop around a bit and know what you are looking for.

Now if your concern is mechanics, does this mean you avoid using many of machines in the gym with a fixed path also?

^ Who are you addressing?

I want to see some ladies feet.

[quote]Ronan wrote:
I want to see some ladies feet.[/quote]