T Nation

Working Out.... At Sea!!!

Hey,

I don’t know that I’m exactly a beginner, I’ve been working out for 3 years or so, last year with a trainer. Anyway, I’m a marine biologist, and I’m going to be on boats 5 out of 7 days of the week for the next 6 months.

I’d like to keep working out, but there wont be a gym on board (these are like 9 meter fishing boats…). Anyway, I guess I’m wondering if there are any specific routines I can do? I was thinking about skipping rope, burpies for HIIT and then hopefully finding a pull-up bar of sorts on board, and somewhere to do dips…then maybe I could also do pushups and planks, and jump squats and jump lunges for legs.

Any more exercies or guides to exercises where one doesn’t have access to a gym? My current goal is fat loss, as I’m still sitting around 15% b.f., coming down from about 24% a year ago. I do probably 4 cardio sessions a week, 2 sustained(5km run), 2 HIIT (sprints). But now I cant really do that. I need fat loss routines for limited space and zero equiptment, except maybe some heavy stuff i find lying around on board!

i have never been optimistic with bodyweight routines

[quote]acropora1981 wrote:
Hey,

I don’t know that I’m exactly a beginner, I’ve been working out for 3 years or so, last year with a trainer. Anyway, I’m a marine biologist, and I’m going to be on boats 5 out of 7 days of the week for the next 6 months.

I’d like to keep working out, but there wont be a gym on board (these are like 9 meter fishing boats…). Anyway, I guess I’m wondering if there are any specific routines I can do? I was thinking about skipping rope, burpies for HIIT and then hopefully finding a pull-up bar of sorts on board, and somewhere to do dips…then maybe I could also do pushups and planks, and jump squats and jump lunges for legs.

Any more exercies or guides to exercises where one doesn’t have access to a gym? My current goal is fat loss, as I’m still sitting around 15% b.f., coming down from about 24% a year ago. I do probably 4 cardio sessions a week, 2 sustained(5km run), 2 HIIT (sprints). But now I cant really do that. I need fat loss routines for limited space and zero equiptment, except maybe some heavy stuff i find lying around on board![/quote]

Can you bring something small on board like a heavy dumb bell, kettlebell, medicine ball?

Pushups(lots of variations), planks, lunges all sound good. If you can bring or find something heavy but of a manageable size, then deadlift it, clean it, press it. If it has a handle, swing it. Set up compound cycles of cleans and presses with your heavy but manageable object, go all out for one minute, break, do another minute, break etc. and call em intervals. Lots of good options for limited equipment. If that fails, spend all six months trying to learn how to do a handstand pushup while on a less than stable platform(boat), that’s gotta be good for something.

that atg410… What do you think of bringing like those stretchy cords with handles? I don’t know what they’re called because I’ve never used them.

thanks atg410… What do you think of bringing like those stretchy cords with handles? I don’t know what they’re called because I’ve never used them.

Bring a bow-flex on board.

get a large back pack
and get several hot water bottles

do body weight exersizes and add more and more into the pack when you do them for added weight

when I was on a fishing boat we did this because the empty bladders dont take up much space at all and we can fill them up easy from the non-potable hose and empty them when done.

each gallon of water weighs about 8-9 pounds I think
because as you know you need as much space on board for stuff like food and emergancy crap I understand you cant take bulky or heavy things on board
we couldnt anyways

I had 2 duffles and 1 back pack
duffles were used for lifting like dumb bells and the pack went on the back

thanks atg410… What do you think of bringing like those stretchy cords with handles? I don’t know what they’re called because I’ve never used them.[/quote]

yeah, if you can think of interesting stuff to do with those, they definitely meet your space requirements. the water bottles in a backpack idea sounds like a winner too.

Think of this as an opportunity in disguise, they say that necessity is the mother of invention, who knows, you may come across a really nasty, abbreviated routine that does wonders.

Nichaaron, brilliant!!!

Sandbags of varying weight up to 100lbs should be good too.

You have 2 days off the boat, make them count. :wink:

Nichaaron, brilliant!!! [/quote]

nope
experience

I worked aboard halibut boats from out the pacific northwest for a while till I found out I could makre more money in the warehouses than on the boats.

we worked out for couple hours while the capt. was lookin for a place to drop net,and any other down time we had.

bordome aboard a boat is hell so we made games out of it as well.

that and I learned something like that in another place which I wont mention here :wink:

mainly on ship though

muscle ups with weight should keep your upper body in good shape. Ghetto GHR, and treading water may be good ideas for lower body.

i dont know what muscle ups are, and i dont know what ghetto GHR is?

nm i looked them up