Working Out After Shoulder Surgery

I will be having shoulder surgery for an anterior and posterior labral tear on 12/18/09. I am very worried about this because im a junior in highschool and this year and this summer is the last chance i have to get a lot stronger and bigger and impress some colleges during football season next year. The problem is i dont know what im going to do because its about a 4-5 month recovery and i will get a lot weaker. So how can i make sure i keep, maintain, or gain strength before football season next year?

For the next four months, you’re fucked. Accept it. Keep eating as well as possible, and expect to do a lot of body weight squats and eat as good as you can.

You’re going to do exactly what the doctors and physical therapists tell you to, and you’re not going to be an asshole about it.

If you rush it, and fuck up your shoulder worse in your zeal to play HS football, you will regret it for the rest of your life.

OP,

I recently had the same thing. I tore mine and had the surgery August 30th of this year. its 4-6 weeks in a completely immobilized sling (which was absolutely aweful) and a 4-6 month “total recover”. Its a pretty crappy situation but really theres not a whole lot you can do. you’ll be in physical therapy doing light band work after a couple weeks but you’re not gonna be lifting anything upperbody for a couple months. Even when I felt good enough to start getting back in the gym i was unable to do squats cause of my anterior rotation… I wasnt able to rotate my arm back to hold the squat bar.

Good luck with your surgery but dont rush it. Do what your doctor tells you to do for rehab and you’ll get better. I think the thing that helped me get my mobility back quickly was doing the codmans exercises (taking my arm out my sling, letting it hand down and doing small arm circles) it honestly hurt like hell to do it but i would just start really really small doing it 9 or 10 times a day and the doctor said it really helped keep me from getting too stiff

hope maybe some part of this helped. Good luck

.greg.

also make sure you’re taking your pain meds. The first night i took some before i went to bed and when i woke up the next morning I could barely get out of bed. make sure you take some in the middle of the night (you’ll be awake cause sleeping is almost impossible for the first couple days)

belt squats are a good possibility. speedy recovery!

Leg work is pretty much all you will be able to do. I was out of commission for 9 months after my shoulder surgery (anterior capsular shift, bankhart repair, rotator interval closure). I had my ROM reduced 50% in every direction.

[quote]gregron wrote:
OP,

I recently had the same thing. I tore mine and had the surgery August 30th of this year. its 4-6 weeks in a completely immobilized sling (which was absolutely aweful) and a 4-6 month “total recover”. Its a pretty crappy situation but really theres not a whole lot you can do. you’ll be in physical therapy doing light band work after a couple weeks but you’re not gonna be lifting anything upperbody for a couple months. Even when I felt good enough to start getting back in the gym i was unable to do squats cause of my anterior rotation… I wasnt able to rotate my arm back to hold the squat bar.

Good luck with your surgery but dont rush it. Do what your doctor tells you to do for rehab and you’ll get better. I think the thing that helped me get my mobility back quickly was doing the codmans exercises (taking my arm out my sling, letting it hand down and doing small arm circles) it honestly hurt like hell to do it but i would just start really really small doing it 9 or 10 times a day and the doctor said it really helped keep me from getting too stiff

hope maybe some part of this helped. Good luck

.greg.

also make sure you’re taking your pain meds. The first night i took some before i went to bed and when i woke up the next morning I could barely get out of bed. make sure you take some in the middle of the night (you’ll be awake cause sleeping is almost impossible for the first couple days)[/quote]

thanks for the advice, i was sick and the surgery was delayed i will be having it in the next few weeks

OP make sure you take the pain meds every 4 hours, or as prescribed. Once the pain gets past a 4 or 5 on a 1-10 scale, it would end up being like an 8-9 before the meds started to kick in, and no amount of meds seemed to wanna bring it back down.

[quote]ucallthatbass wrote:
OP make sure you take the pain meds every 4 hours, or as prescribed. Once the pain gets past a 4 or 5 on a 1-10 scale, it would end up being like an 8-9 before the meds started to kick in, and no amount of meds seemed to wanna bring it back down. [/quote]

^^

what he said. You gotta stay on top of your meds cause if not you’ll end up really hurting

.greg.