T Nation

Working on Muscle Gains

Hi, everyone. I'm looking for a little nutrition and workout advice from y'all.

I started lifting six months ago and have made decent gains so far. I'm 24 years old, 5' 11", and my progress history is:

Start in October - 140 pounds, don't know body fat percentage
Beginning of January - 155 pounds / 15% body fat / 131 pounds of lean muscle
Beginning of March - 155 pounds / 10% body fat / 137 pounds of lean muscle

I figured I needed to eat more because I was both putting on muscle and burning a lot of fat. So, I increased my cals from 2,500 to 2,800 a day since the beginning of March. Thoughts on this number? I'm thinking it could be higher, but I don't want to put the fat back on.

My workout routine's pretty intense, but I don't think I'm overtraining based on the progress I've been making. I do 3 sets of 8-10 reps per exercise:

Sunday (Chest/Triceps)
*Bench press
*incline BB press
*incline DB press
*DB press
*Cable fly
*Decline cable press
*Tri pressdown
*Tri cable overheard
*Skullcrusher

Monday (Legs)
*Split squat
*Leg circuit of: Lunges, Squat, One-legged bridges with feet on bench, step-up, bridges on the floor with knee to chest. I do all exercises back to back with 15 sec rest between each for a set, and do three sets total resting 60 secs between sets.
*Extension
*Curl
*Seated calve press
*Standing calve press

Tuesday rest

Wednesday (Shoulders/Chest)
*DB press
*Front raise
*Lateral raise
*Cable reverse fly
*Shrugs
*incline BB press
*incline DB press
*DB press
*Cable fly
*Decline cable press

Thursday (Back/Arms)
*Cable row
*Lat pulldown
*Straight-arm pulldown
*BB row
*Curls
*Concentrations
*Preacher
*Tri pressdown
*Tri cable overheard
*Skullcrusher

Friday (Leg, same as Monday)

Sat rest

Critique away, please. I appreciate all the feedback I can get. Again, my goal is to continue gaining lean muscle.

So 16 movements for chest and delts, and just 4 movements for back?

You tell me what’s wrong with this picture.

Your leg workout looks like a zumba class. Time to start over:

does anyone else think that if you are doing all those exercises in one day and can handle it, you are not working hard enough?

I personally don’t think I would be able to do all those in one day… Am i a just pussy :frowning:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
So 16 movements for chest and delts, and just 4 movements for back? [/quote]
Agreed, it looks like your week centers around chest and everything else is an afterthought.

[quote]
Your leg workout looks like a zumba class. [/quote]
Which is okay for general fitness but if you are really, “Working on Muscle Gains”, you will need to do either back or front squats.(not in a circuit)

[quote]illadelphia91 wrote:
does anyone else think that if you are doing all those exercises in one day and can handle it, you are not working hard enough?

I personally don’t think I would be able to do all those in one day… Am i a just pussy :([/quote]

No, I’m with you.

[quote]illadelphia91 wrote:

I personally don’t think I would be able to do all those in one day… Am i a just pussy :([/quote]

Not a productive reply?

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
So 16 movements for chest and delts, and just 4 movements for back?

You tell me what’s wrong with this picture.

Your leg workout looks like a zumba class. Time to start over:

You’re right. I was neglecting some body parts way too much. I’ve rewritten my workout to address that taking into account the link you shared and other programs. Thanks!

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Agreed, it looks like your week centers around chest and everything else is an afterthought.

[quote]
Which is okay for general fitness but if you are really, “Working on Muscle Gains”, you will need to do either back or front squats.(not in a circuit)[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I added squat and stiff-leg deadlift to the routine and cut the circuit. I’m going to do hip thrusts with a barbell to hit glutes and maybe some one-legged bridges.

[quote]latinmuscleusa wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]
Which is okay for general fitness but if you are really, “Working on Muscle Gains”, you will need to do either back or front squats.(not in a circuit)[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I added squat and stiff-leg deadlift to the routine and cut the circuit. I’m going to do hip thrusts with a barbell to hit glutes and maybe some one-legged bridges.[/quote]

Excellent.