Working on Deadlift Form

So, I realised that my form has been what has been stopping my progression on the deadlift lately. I have got to 115kg and then failed to progress from there.

My mate who was seeing me deadlift said my lower back was rounding and my legs were doing too much of the work when it was a full body lift.

Problem is, there is a lot of articles on the internet and I don’t know which is the best one to follow to get my form correct and progress. I realise now just how important form is for the deadlift.

On the bright side, my form for the squat is now good.

[quote]renatus wrote:
So, I realised that my form has been what has been stopping my progression on the deadlift lately. I have got to 115kg and then failed to progress from there.

My mate who was seeing me deadlift said my lower back was rounding and my legs were doing too much of the work when it was a full body lift.

Problem is, there is a lot of articles on the internet and I don’t know which is the best one to follow to get my form correct and progress. I realise now just how important form is for the deadlift.

On the bright side, my form for the squat is now good.[/quote]

Well at least that’s one out of the two that is getting better (point of note: your squat form can never be “good to go” i.e. perfectly fine to stop working on, it can just be acceptably improving or not–guys been squatting for 15+ years still work on making their form better :slight_smile: )

For simple focus, I would look at some Dan John articles or videos. He has a way of making complex things fairly simple. If not that, then Dave Tate or Rippetoe are both good resources for basic execution.

Question: can you do RDLs without rounding your lower back?

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]renatus wrote:

On the bright side, my form for the squat is now good.[/quote]

Well at least that’s one out of the two that is getting better (point of note: your squat form can never be “good to go” i.e. perfectly fine to stop working on, it can just be acceptably improving or not–guys been squatting for 15+ years still work on making their form better :slight_smile: )

For simple focus, I would look at some Dan John articles or videos. He has a way of making complex things fairly simple. If not that, then Dave Tate or Rippetoe are both good resources for basic execution.

Question: can you do RDLs without rounding your lower back?[/quote]

I have never tried RDL’s before. I am doing Rippetoes. I will read up on them though.

I have a question about Rippetoes tbh, is it normal to be hitting stalls at such an early stage in my training?

My squat is 100kg , my deadlift is 115kg 1x4 (with poor form). It just seems that because I didn’t use correct form, and that my sleeping has been less than usual … it means I have hit a wall that I must correct. It sounds naive, but does it take total dedication to ensure I don’t hit such walls? It just seems that the farer I progress, the more that I have to perfect parts of approaching training/rest.