Working on a Database to Track Gym Progress...

I’m in.

[quote]Roual wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:
Roual wrote:
If I may ask, how are you programming it, and what are you including in it?

Things like calculating total volume per exercise / per workout, theoritical 1RM based of weight previously lifted, volume pushed / pulled in the workout, things like that (yes, I’ve thought about doing it myself)

Yeah pretty much all that. I’m going to try and cram as much in as I can think of. I’m also trying to make it as simple to use as humanly possible.

(great idea on the theoritical 1RM as well, hadn’t thought of that one)

I’m doing it in access since that’s probably the most common database program.

I suppose Access is the most commonly used one, doesn’t stop me disliking it though :slight_smile:

How’re you going to handle the exercise entry? Have them manually enter the name of an exercise or select from a list? The problem with the list approach is that you’re going to miss exercises, unless you allow the facility for them to add exercises to the list.

Also, will the user enter a set-rep scheme and weight for the exercise, or enter the weight and reps for each set of an exercise?

I may be over thinking this, my own fault for choosing a career in IT.[/quote]

Yeah I’m not a HUGE fan of access, but since so many people have it, and are at least vaguely familiar with the MS office ‘motif’ I figure that’ll be the easiest way to use it. As for entering exercises: When the user first starts they’re going to have to enter in a list all the exercises they typically do, it’s just a one time thing. On the workout entry form itself, the main for is based on Date, then a subform for exercise, then a sub-subform for weight/reps/set notes. That way you only have to enter the date once, and each exercise once. The exercises themselves will be listed in a combo-box based on a query that’s based on the aforementioned table.

The programming itself isn’t TOO bad, it’s just conceptualizing all the different options that people would like to see, and where to put them, how to make them user-friendly, etc.

Here’s an early version of the input form. Not sure how much it’ll change, it works surprisingly well.

the exercise names will be in the user’s own venacular as they entered them on the exercise list. In this case I always put DB or BB first, then the angle, then the exercise.

A friend of mine did something similar in Flash and made it a podcast. Very cool. It got into nutrition and showed videos of the exercises, etc.

For this, you’d still need a log book unless you walked around the gym with your laptop.

The thing I like about this, is what theuofh said in making it tunable, so you could add 2-3% to determine your starting weight for your next time you do the exercise.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
You should have it so it automatically tell you if you have progressed in reps or weight or sets for any given exercise. Just my 0.02 cents. Like “Beating the Log Book”. I’m interested in it for sure.[/quote]

I actually had this idea a few days ago… all the apps I’ve seen online suck and cater to people looking to lose weight and track their calories. It would be great to make one specific to people interested in pushing more weight…

And also, the exact name that I had written down was ‘Beat the Log Book’ … kinda scary

Here’s a suggestion. Make like a profile. If lets say you already know the exercises for every day of the week you are going to do. So this way itll be a simple process of imputing one by one the weights so itll choose the exercises for you instead of picking them out every time.

[quote]talmid91 wrote:
Here’s a suggestion. Make like a profile. If lets say you already know the exercises for every day of the week you are going to do. So this way itll be a simple process of imputing one by one the weights so itll choose the exercises for you instead of picking them out every time.[/quote]

That’s not a shabby idea either…

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I’m out.[/quote]

of the closet.

[quote]debraD wrote:
What will be your criteria for progress?[/quote]

I think I see what you mean now…I’m brainstorming on the graphing functions…it’s hard. Because people switch up routines and rep schemes so often. Heck one week you might bench press 275 for 5 as your 2nd working set, and the next week do 275 for 6 as the 1st working set. Is that progress, or just being less fatigued? Plus on a graph of performance if you suddenly switch from a scheme where you’re say squatting for 3 rep sets, to 10 rep sets, the weight will drop. If it’s graphed out it’ll look like your strength fell off a cliff.

[quote]talmid91 wrote:
Here’s a suggestion. Make like a profile. If lets say you already know the exercises for every day of the week you are going to do. So this way itll be a simple process of imputing one by one the weights so itll choose the exercises for you instead of picking them out every time.[/quote]

actually right now it’s sort of set up that way. For each workout you only need to select each exercise once. If I made it so there was a profile, at the beginning of the week you’d select it once as well. It’d just be a matter of do you select it post workout, or pre workout. Heck you could even select all your exercises for the week on the form and then go back and fill them in later.

I haven’t forgotten about this. I’m working out the last few kinks in the code.

It’s going to be in access, for people that don’t have Access, I’ll try and see how compatible it’ll be with things like OpenOffice, but after I do the first real roll-out in Access.

is this what a logbook is for?

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
is this what a logbook is for?[/quote]

yes.

I think it sounds pretty cool, thanks for working on it