Working Legs With Just Dumbbells

This summer I will not be able to afford a gym membership, as I am away from home and all the gyms around here are far too expensive. But I do have a pair of 120 pound adjustable dumbbells available to me at a PT clinic I will be interning at.

My only problem is working out legs( What can target hamstrings??, anything else besides romainian deadlifts??) Any variety will also be difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions?

One legged deadlifts, dumbbell hamstring curls done on the floor. Get into a cobra stretch postion (prone position but pushing your upper torso off the floor) you should feel a stretch in your lowerback. Next wrap your feet around a dumbbell that is positioned near your feet and curl the dumbbell.

2x120 lbs is pretty good. Should be sufficient for some single leg deadlifts, some lunges, and some Bulgarian squats.

Build a sled and get a 400 lb tractor tire. Those two things on their own will be able to give you a enough to get you through the summer.

Nothing I have experienced is as taxing as dragging and tire flipping.

You should build your leg routine around Dumbell Squats, if you get to the point where you can bang out 8-10 reps with 120lbs coming to a dead stop on the floor with nice deep squat position (not deadlift) you will be in damn good shape, I honestly would be suprised unless you are extremely strong already if you even get to the point that you can rep out full ROM dumbell Squats with 120’s in the 8-10 rep range.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
You should build your leg routine around Dumbell Squats, if you get to the point where you can bang out 8-10 reps with 120lbs coming to a dead stop on the floor with nice deep squat position (not deadlift) you will be in damn good shape, I honestly would be suprised unless you are extremely strong already if you even get to the point that you can rep out full ROM dumbell Squats with 120’s in the 8-10 rep range.[/quote]

I have trouble visualizing dumbbell squats. Do you mean grasping a dumbbell with both hands and just sqauting down?

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
Build a sled and get a 400 lb tractor tire. Those two things on their own will be able to give you a enough to get you through the summer.

Nothing I have experienced is as taxing as dragging and tire flipping.[/quote]

any suggestions on how to build a sled??

[quote]jimmyjames66 wrote:
fightingtiger wrote:

Nothing I have experienced is as taxing as dragging and tire flipping.

any suggestions on how to build a sled??[/quote]

search for poor mans equipment thread

You can make one as simple as a wooden pallet with heavy shit on it

Where did you buy those 120lb adjustable dumbells?

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
You should build your leg routine around Dumbell Squats, if you get to the point where you can bang out 8-10 reps with 120lbs coming to a dead stop on the floor with nice deep squat position (not deadlift) you will be in damn good shape, I honestly would be suprised unless you are extremely strong already if you even get to the point that you can rep out full ROM dumbell Squats with 120’s in the 8-10 rep range.[/quote]

Wouldn’t dumbbell squats be easier because the center of gravity is lower? Or is it just the fact you have to hold onto the dumbbells that makes it harder?

To the OP: You will find these articles helpful

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1450802

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1543621

Good suggestions so far. Add overhead squats (you won’t need 120s) and single leg squats (you may not need a dumbbell at all).

I would front dumbbell squat and overhead squat, jefferson squat, renegade squat, jump squat, bulgarian split squat, lunges, walking lunges, jump lunges, lunges front foot raised, single leg deadlift, single leg squat, swiss ball hamstring curls 1 leg.

Experiment with tempos and pauses at the sticking points, etc.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
Where did you buy those 120lb adjustable dumbells?

[/quote]

I did not buy them. A PT clinic that I am interning at has them.

You might want to look into Ross Enamait’s “Infinite Intensity”. He outlines an entire program and catalog of exercises using home made equipment, and all the lifting is done with dumbells. Lots of RDL, step-ups, lunges, split squats, etc.