T Nation

Working in Sprinting

I'm trying to work sprinting into my routine for the fat loss and conditioning benefits. Currently I'm doing a full body routine three days a week (Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays). I'm also doing steady state cardio on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Typically I just take Saturday and Sunday off because I can't consistently make it to the gym on those days.

I was thinking about subbing out the steady state cardio on Tuesdays and Thursdays for sprinting, but I wonder if that will give me enough time to recover.

So if anyone has an insight on when I should add the sprinting in I would very much appreciate it.

Anyone…?

What are you doing for your sprinting?

I do the stairmaster. Warm-up for seven minutes at level ten, then go up to level twenty for one minute. Then down to ten for three minutes, up to twenty for 1:10, recover for three. I continue to add ten seconds to every sprint. I do it once a week along with a sixty minute all out max and a ninety minute at 60-70% of max.

My goals are most likely different than yours but this sprint will do wonders for you all round. Running sprints are to easy to pull some serious muscles so I stick to the stairmaster. Plus it’s a more controled workout.

Hey man. The best way. football field, 100 yds, 4 times. Get it over with quick and call it a day. If your consistent with it, you will see great improvements everywhere.

3 x’s a week is all thats needed.

streamline,

Makes a really good point about pulling. That’s why you should NOT sprint 100%. Few sprinters that last longer than a few years sprint 100% each time. Most of the time, you’re shooting for the 75%-90% range.

If you’re seriously worried about injuries, pick a slight hill to sprint. Which is advisable, since you’ll learn a lot about sprinting dynamics. (This is not a direct relationship. Extreme hills will not help.)

I sprinted about 4 years.

Two to three times, max per week. It’s really easy to injure yourself sprinting.

[quote]bluestreets wrote:
I’m trying to work sprinting into my routine for the fat loss and conditioning benefits. Currently I’m doing a full body routine three days a week (Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays). I’m also doing steady state cardio on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Typically I just take Saturday and Sunday off because I can’t consistently make it to the gym on those days.

I was thinking about subbing out the steady state cardio on Tuesdays and Thursdays for sprinting, but I wonder if that will give me enough time to recover.

So if anyone has an insight on when I should add the sprinting in I would very much appreciate it.[/quote]

Add the sprinting 1 day of the week for 1 month and evaluate your nutrition. You may only need that little to get by, unless you are really into cutting mode (which I don’t recommend unless you have considerable muscle mass).

Thanks guys for the responses.

I appreciate where you are coming from streamline and Mediated Life. As of right now I plan on doing my sprinting at the football field since it is close. However I’ll keep that stairmaster idea in mind since the weather is starting to get poor here. Plus sprinting is secondary to lifting and I wouldn’t want my secondary activity to take me out of my primary one via injury.

I’ll add it in once per week as per sawadeekrob’s suggestion and go from there. Thanks again everyone.