T Nation

Working from Home, Ideas?

I recently moved states with my wife (into a tiny one bedroom for now) and I’m working from home.

I plan to take lunch hour breaks to walk/run as it warms up. But I’m hoping to get some ideas for workouts I can do throughout the day. I feel like I’ve got a unique opportunity to be able to take 5 minutes every hour and so something.

Space is an issue. I could probably sneak a few dumbbells in but not much else.

Pushups, Situps, Squats, Lunges, Handstand pushups (eventually)… I may be able to find somewhere to do pullups (negatives for now)

Anything I’m missing?

Should I do one thing all day? All week? Split it up?

Basically if you were in a prison cell what would you do and how often :slight_smile:

i think a kettle bell is the ideal thing for confined space

lots of links of stuff to do on here and utube i guess

i think it all depends on ur goals

is fat loss an issue? bulking?just getting fit?

burpees good too btw

[quote]Guilo wrote:
Basically if you were in a prison cell what would you do and how often :)[/quote]
Convict Conditioning, By Paul Wade.

Right now my goal is general fitness, activity level, and strength.

I’ve been out of the game for a while so my goals are simply lifestyle improvement.

I probably forgot to include burpies subconsciously… I’ll add them to the list.

JLone - Thanks for the title, checking it out.

[quote]Guilo wrote:
Space is an issue. I could probably sneak a few dumbbells in but not much else.[/quote]
I’d look for either something like Powerblocks or adjustable dumbbell handles with plates. Space will run out real quick if you start collecting pair after pair after pair of fixed weight-dumbbells. Or, if you can bargain with Mrs. Guilo, get a 5-foot barbell (obviously shorter than the standard 7-foot bar if space is a serious issue).

[quote]Pushups, Situps, Squats, Lunges, Handstand pushups (eventually)… I may be able to find somewhere to do pullups (negatives for now)

Anything I’m missing?[/quote]
Waterbury had a few articles discussing bodyweight training:

With relatively-few exercises available, I’d probably use full body workouts 3 or 4 days a week (since it’s hard to get a legit "lower body only session), but take the opportunity for regular foam rolling everyday. That’s also a good way to take a break from sitting at a desk all day long and ward off hip, neck, and upper back issues.

I’d read every day and crank it every night, but what does that have to do with your training?

Just to throw this out there, here’s my go-to plan for either younger kids new to training or for anyone relatively-untrained getting into a regular routine.

Mon., Wed., and Fri.
Squat 2x15 (No weight, keep both feet flat on the floor.)
Push-up 2x15 (On your toes, go until the chest almost touches the floor.)
Lunge 2x15 (Alternate legs, 1 rep left/1 rep right.)
Neutral-grip pull-up 2x15 (assisted if necessary. Could be substituted with inverted rows.)
Plank 2x15-count (Hold the top part of a push-up, on the toes, arms straight, keep the whole body straight. Count to 15.)
Burpee/squat thrust 2x15

Basic full-body, bodyweight-only routine. When it’s easy from start to finish, do something else.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Just to throw this out there, here’s my go-to plan for either younger kids new to training or for anyone relatively-untrained getting into a regular routine.

Mon., Wed., and Fri.
Squat 2x15 (No weight, keep both feet flat on the floor.)
Push-up 2x15 (On your toes, go until the chest almost touches the floor.)
Lunge 2x15 (Alternate legs, 1 rep left/1 rep right.)
Neutral-grip pull-up 2x15 (assisted if necessary. Could be substituted with inverted rows.)
Plank 2x15-count (Hold the top part of a push-up, on the toes, arms straight, keep the whole body straight. Count to 15.)
Burpee/squat thrust 2x15

Basic full-body, bodyweight-only routine. When it’s easy from start to finish, do something else.[/quote]

Chris, don’t you feel that 2x15 pullups is about 10 times harder than any of the other things listed? I could pump out the rest of this workout without breaking a sweat but 15 solid pullups is an impressive total.

[quote]Silyak wrote:
Chris, don’t you feel that 2x15 pullups is about 10 times harder than any of the other things listed? I could pump out the rest of this workout without breaking a sweat but 15 solid pullups is an impressive total. [/quote]
Good question, and actually one of the first times I remember it being asked. Ha.

Double-digit pull-ups is pretty tough, yep. But I did clarify: “Neutral-grip” (which allows the most arm contribution and is the strongest pulling position), “assisted if necessary” (meaning bands, leg drive off a step or chair, or a counter-balance machine is fine to get the reps in), and “Could be substituted with inverted rows” (meaning, well, you wouldn’t be doing pull-ups).

Make sure you focus on form, and going slow will benefit you. A set of pushups going very slow can really blast your chest and shoulders

JLone I think that was exactly what I was looking for!

Chris I like your routine as well. I’ll probably schedule my workouts similar to that.

My pan is do so a small set of something every hour on a MWF schedule, with walking/running at lunch T/Th

I have a similar home situation. I do 4 sets of 8-12 of 4 exercises daily.

• push-ups feet elevated 4"
  • reverse flys
  • pullovers
  • squat n press, squat all the way down, short pause(avoid spring back up effect) and avoid momentum effect than press up the 2 barbells.

Add abs, calves, you can progress.

Any librairy has bodyweight exercises books with pics, adding adjustable dumbells and you are set. An ankle/wrist kit 10 pounds(10x1 pound) is 17$ at wallmart.