Working At A Foo-Foo Gym

Just wondering if any of you are working at a so called foo-foo gym but are into the strength sport.

I just started working at a health club where I have to wear a light blue shirt with a name tag that says “Smile Zone” on it.

I’m just doing this to get my foot in the door to the exercise industry while I’m getting my degree in Exercise Science. I’m planning to become a CSCS and possibly a strength coach.

Anyway, would it be legal if you were let go because of a certain image that you present to the members? I mean, most places like that are kind of intimidated from hardcore lifters who deadlifts, squat, rack pull, etc.

Any thoughts or should I just lift somewhere else so I don’t jeopardize losing my job?

You could ask your boss…

I’m curious,

Why, on Earth, would you have to wear a tag that says “Smile Zone”?

Are you working in the daycare?

[quote]mahwah wrote:
I’m curious,

Why, on Earth, would you have to wear a tag that says “Smile Zone”?

Are you working in the daycare?[/quote]

LOL. No. Everyone who works there has that on their name tag. Like I said, foo-foo gym.

I told my boss that I use to be around 230 lbs mostly muscle but now I’m much smaller because I’m focusing more on school. I said I plan on gaining my size and strength back again then his eyes got larger and he said, “as long as you don’t get too big”. I did not know what he meant by that but I have a feeling that the big bulky bodybuilder image is something that place doesn’t welcome.

I hope this place isn’t like that one gym that kicked a guy out for grunting. Well, guess I gotta do whatever it takes to get my foot in the door.

Damn… is the equipment there any good? Sounds like the kind of place you might want to avoid working out at anyway.

I think it depends on your attitude. If you’re not an intimidating person, then you’ll be fine and you might even convert people to doing squats and deadlifts.

If you are an intimidating person and you want to be hardcore, then you should just leave now and go somewhere else. You need to be on the inside to change the establishment. If you can’t fit it, then you’ll never get anywhere.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

You could put that smile zone nametag on your crotch, and have a regular nametag with a different name on your chest.

[quote]Traps59 wrote:

I just started working at a health club where I have to wear a light blue shirt with a name tag that says “Smile Zone” on it.

[/quote]

Do you also have to wear a minimum of 15 pieces of flair?

[quote]Traps59 wrote:
I said I plan on gaining my size and strength back again then his eyes got larger and he said, “as long as you don’t get too big”. [/quote]

My mom said this to me while our family was on vacation when i took off my shirt…

but my puniness was reaffirmed by a woman serving my tuna salad in a container when she asked how many scoops i wanted, i said 3(cuz they usually give me 2). She gave me 4 and said “you need some meat on those bones”. I laughed and smiled, but it stuck with me lol.

I don’t plan on going for my summer 6-pack now… time to put on some more meat baby.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Traps59 wrote:

[/quote]

‘Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays’

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Traps59 wrote:

[/quote]

Didn’t the Nazis make the Jews wear flair?

If you plan to train clients and start building a client base in that gym, I would train elsewhere. When I first started my business a lot of clients would eventually tell me they were initially hesitant to train with me and were intimidated.

People, especially at a place like that, will think that you are going to train them the way they see you train. Regardless of whether that is true or not, it is hard to change someone’s perception.

So I guess it all depends on what you are trying to get out of that place.

A

[quote]Traps59 wrote:
Just wondering if any of you are working at a so called foo-foo gym but are into the strength sport.

I’m just doing this to get my foot in the door to the exercise industry while I’m getting my degree in Exercise Science. I’m planning to become a CSCS and possibly a strength coach.

Anyway, would it be legal if you were let go because of a certain image that you present to the members? I mean, most places like that are kind of intimidated from hardcore lifters who deadlifts, squat, rack pull, etc.

Any thoughts or should I just lift somewhere else so I don’t jeopardize losing my job? [/quote]

[/quote]

Only if you want to do just the bare minimum.

Swingline staplers and TPS reports…

[quote]Traps59 wrote:
Anyway, would it be legal if you were let go because of a certain image that you present to the members? [/quote]

That’s definitely illegal. Looks like you’re going to federal “pound me in the ass” prison.

Lumbergh fucked her.

[quote]Traps59 wrote:
Anyway, would it be legal if you were let go because of a certain image that you present to the members? I mean, most places like that are kind of intimidated from hardcore lifters who deadlifts, squat, rack pull, etc. [/quote]

The odds are you are subject to “at will” employment, which means your employer is free to discharge you “for good cause, or bad cause, or no cause at all,” and you are equally free to quit, strike, or otherwise cease work. There are exceptions. Whether the exceptions apply to you depends on where you live. Check out this article for more info:

You’re at a shitty place. That’s not a big deal. Your first job is not your dream job. Everyone I know who is successful started off in a job they hated. That’s the way of the world.

Do a great job for the next six months. Then start looking for a better gym to work at.

Also, drop the “I’ll be too hulky to get clients” attitude. That’s a losing attitude. If you help people lose fat, then you will get more clients. It’s really that simple.

So help your clients lose fat and stop worrying about whether you’ll look to big.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Lumbergh fucked her.[/quote]

Ok,I’m going to burn down the internet.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement guys. I guess I’m just kind of blowing things out of proportion.

Amsterdam Animal - That was one of things I was concerned about too. I know better than to not train clients the way I train myself but like you said, they will think that I’m going to train them that way. Guess I’ll just keep on working out at home even though I have less equipment.

Loose Tool - Thanks for the article. Clears up a lot of things.

Cali Law - Great point. I will have to definitely change my attitude. Time to start practicing on becoming bubblely.