Working as a Garbage Man

Don’t want to get flamed or anything just want some info.

Basically I’am looking into being a Garbage man as a summer job and was wondering if anyone knew any info on this type of work. I know it pays well but has alot of downsides Anyone have any insight?

BTW I’am a college sophmore aiming to be a CPA if that counts for anything.

Don’t get any cuts or scrapes while on the job… and if you ever want to get laid again, don’t tell anyone what you do or did until at least a decade has passed.

Its a tough demanding thankless job. It pays pretty well and will give you a lot of activity.

As far as girls are concerned, dont sweat it. I know a guy (an it professional) that uses it as his line when picking up chicks.
Girl asks “what do you do?” He replies, “im a junk man” You know pushing a cart collecting scrap?

First time i saw him do this i was blown away. The girl was easily an 8/9 and he closed her!

An honest job that pays decently. Many a man has supported his family and done quite well doing the job. Why would anyone be concerned with a potential summer job? Canning factories, manual labor, garbage collectors, accountants–yah–they’re all shitty jobs, but the job has to get done–right!

It pays well because it’s a very dirty job. You will sweat your ass off. You will stink. You will be tired when your shift is over. Try to get a driver’s spot instead of the guy hanging of the back.

I played rugby with a guy that did it.

He loved it. Made great money for a summer job and was done with work early in the day. Of course he had to start work real early.

Lots of time outside in the sunshine.

It beats being a lawyer! >)

[quote]KingCLee33 wrote:
Don’t want to get flamed or anything just want some info.

Basically I’am looking into being a Garbage man as a summer job and was wondering if anyone knew any info on this type of work. I know it pays well but has alot of downsides Anyone have any insight?

BTW I’am a college sophmore aiming to be a CPA if that counts for anything.[/quote]

I use to drive a delivery truck for delivering bulk frozen foods to various malls. That was a pretty sweet job and it paid good, too. But when I was doing the job, I’d often see the grease truck guys pull up in the loading dock and do their thing. Basically, they had to pump all the grease out of that nasty stinkin bin into their truck.

And just walking remotely near the grease bin was enough to make me want to vomit. I’m not sure how being a garbage man might compare with being a grease man, but if it was in any way similar then I wouldn’t go near it if I could help it. I have respect for anyone that can handle it, though.

Go for the lonely housewives

I’ve done a few different driving jobs during school, and I’m not sure I’d ever take a garbage job. I’ve filled pop machines in garbage garages, and it’s pretty nasty, even in the breakrooms. Maybe you don’t have anything to choose from where you are, but delivering water, pop, beer, ice, food, packages etc. has got to be better.

I know beverage distributors hire a lot during the summer, but I guess I’d go with whoever will train you to get your CDL (which you need for a garbage truck, or most delivery jobs)

I have to agree with the others.

I in no way put down being a garbage man, in fact I respect it. Anyway a man honestly makes his money is to be respected.

Though, I would seriously look harder for another job, one with friendlier conditions. I would hate to have the smell of garbage on me and the risks of getting stuck with a needle in someone’s trash.

Getting the smell out of your hands when dealing with squid when fishing is pretty bad, I hope garbage isn’t as bad. Because, being 8 hours with that smell on you will be a bitch to get rid of.

Thanks for all your input guys.
Right now I’am the manager at a food place and get paid pretty well already. I’am not looking for another job. I know this is gonna sound weird basically the reason I want to do this is cause I’ve gotten “soft” per se. It’s sort of hard to explain it but it’s just that like it’s a vision quest in a way. I know if I can put up with this then it’ll help me refocus.

Not looking to be a CDL driver or anything rather just be in the back. I can find other jobs with my work experience and commitment.