T Nation

Working Around a Pulled Hammy

I pulled my hamstring just short of 4 weeks ago playing softball. I did not go to the doctor, I put in some research and deduced that it is a grade 2 pull. My training is incredibly important to me, I do not think I would be able to handle society without lifting heavy ass shit.

I dropped my WSBB style to a modified sheiko program because the pain was limiting a lot of the movements I do for WSBB. On the sheiko deadlift days I would not go above 2 plates and just do a lot more reps or work from a deficit. This evening I got a little to confident and tried to hit all the sheiko sets for deads, I got as far as 315 and felt another pop. I limped my ass out of the gym after being in denial for two more sets. I plan on competing in a meet this december and really want to be 100% by then with recovery and strength as well.

Has anyone had any experience with coming back from hamstring injuries? What exercises did you keep in to maintain strength and speed up recovery?

I hurt mine about this time last year. Left hamstring. Ice heat stretch. Stuff like that. If you think itll work it probably will. I like lunges, good morning, and deadlifts to rebuild.

Thanks for the reply mate.

About how long until you fully recovered?

I tried keeping all my hamstring work in the 20 rep range super light.

I’ve had issues with my hamstrings since, forever. Only one bad pull in my PLing career so far, and I think I handled it okay. High rep low weight, that part goes without saying. I’d say the best movement for rehab for me personally was good mornings. RDL’s didnt give me that deep stretch/burn that seems to be the ticket, but doin both wouldnt hurt. I also did a TON of light leg curls. Also, glute activation stuff was very helpful.

One piece of advice I got too, was to stretch your quads between any set that works hamstrings.

Far as timeframe, I looked back at my logs, and it looks like it was 3-4 months before I felt 100%. However this was with a slight re-pull a few weeks into recovery (maybe similar to what you did?)

Thanks for the advice. I woke up this morning and it does not feel as bad as I anticipated there is a little more blood pooling so it has definitely been re pulled albeit minor.

3-4 months? Guess I am gonna have to be patient then.

think of it as never healed and you’ll be better off.

[quote]MacSaintson wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I woke up this morning and it does not feel as bad as I anticipated there is a little more blood pooling so it has definitely been re pulled albeit minor.

3-4 months? Guess I am gonna have to be patient then.[/quote]

It sounds like your injury wasnt quite as bad as my latest, and I was a little over-cautious with mine since its happened a few times. My hammies are horrible, they cramp during heavy benchpress and distance running, let alone sprints or heavy DL/squats etc.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
think of it as never healed and you’ll be better off.[/quote]

This is solid advice too. Constantly reinjuring yourself is a great way to turn your hamstring into a big chunk of worthless scar tissue.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Truth I think I am gonna adopt that style of thought.

I went in and smashed some bench and in between sets went over and did light good mornings @ 95 pounds for 10 reps. It ended up being around 10 sets. I could really feel myself leaning on the first and last couple of sets. That stretch hit the spot and I felt really good afterward.

I might try this every training session and see if I can’t comfortably bump up the weight to a 135 next time. Really sucks I have not been able to do heavy deads for a month, It’s my favorite lift.

Do whatever work you can, don’t do shit that makes it hurt. Take whatever time is necessary to let it heal, and then work back up when you can.

I am working through a hamstring issue at the moment. Partials are KEY here. Find the part of the ROM that doesn’t cause you pain and train it heavy, as this is where all of your strength development is going to happen. Work very light through the full ROM in order to start rebuilding strength in the injured area without further damaging it.

For the heavy partials, gradually increase the range of motion each time you train. If you run into pain, start again at the top with heavier weight and try to work down further the next time.