T Nation

Working a Centurion Suit

hey, i just got a new centurion. tried it for the first time today and had alot of trouble. my butt kept pushing forward causing my kness to collaps either forward or in.

i have an old frantz suit and inzer briefs, and i kept collapsing with weights that i can get for triples with my old gear. any tips? i know some members here use that suit so all help will be appreciated.
thanks alot

i assume you’re using the regular stance suit? if so, sounds like the suit isn’t pulled all the way up. make sure the legs are as far up as possible. all the way into your crotch and that should alleviate most of your problems. also learn to push your knees out when u drop. that’s really important with the regular stance centurian

Are you wrapping your knees? even if the weight is light and the wraps aren’t “needed”, a loose or medium-tight wrap will help you sit back into your suit or briefs more.

Agree with both posts. The Super + can be tough and you really need to tighten up and descend as fast as you can.

Get a friend to give you a suit wedgy for a better fit as it should be as high as possible. Use the suit like briefs (straps down) 95% of the time and work up in weight. This will help you get used to the fit and find the groove. Once you do, you should really feel the power of the suit in your hips. When it is time, get the straps high on your traps to add more tension. Throw your butt back like you are sitting on the toilet when you begin your descent: This will tighten the suit up more on the way down and help maintain balance.

On the way up, begin by pushing your elbows forward followed by your chest, maintaining an arch in your back and really driving your hips forward under the weight. Like others have said, spread your knees apart at all times: This will help prevent falling forward and keep you in the suit’s groove.

Good luck. I’ve had a Centurion since December and have nothing but good things to say.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
i assume you’re using the regular stance suit? if so, sounds like the suit isn’t pulled all the way up. make sure the legs are as far up as possible. all the way into your crotch and that should alleviate most of your problems. also learn to push your knees out when u drop. that’s really important with the regular stance centurian[/quote]

Good post.

I know the first time I had my Centy on I didn’t have it pulled all the way up and even tho I was trying to sit back my hips got kicked forward and the spotters had to grab the bar.

Like Robo said, make sure the suit is pulled up ALL the way (there shouldn’t be any slack between the crotch and your balls…). If you’re using suit slippers it might be an idea to keep them on for a few reps to make sure the suit’s properly set. And if oyu’re not using them, get some. The difference they make on getting it on is unreal.

[quote]shieldss wrote:
Get a friend to give you a suit wedgy for a better fit as it should be as high as possible. Use the suit like briefs (straps down) 95% of the time and work up in weight. This will help you get used to the fit and find the groove. Once you do, you should really feel the power of the suit in your hips. When it is time, get the straps high on your traps to add more tension. Throw your butt back like you are sitting on the toilet when you begin your descent: This will tighten the suit up more on the way down and help maintain balance. On the way up, begin by pushing your elbows forward followed by your chest, maintaining an arch in your back and really driving your hips forward under the weight. Like others have said, spread your knees apart at all times: This will help prevent falling forward and keep you in the suit’s groove.

Good luck. I’ve had a Centurion since December and have nothing but good things to say.[/quote]

I don’t agree with working it straps down. Straps up and down in that material is a world of difference. Anymore, if we put a suit on we put the straps up all the time. You will learn how to make it work.

Just make sure you get the shoulder seam as far in front of the trap as you can so the suit pulls you back instead of forward as you descend.

thanks for the replies. i guess i could have pulled it higher. the old gear would creap into place during lighter sets and i guess the with this suit it needs be 100% from the start

In addition to making sure the suit is seated and training with the straps up, try squatting off a high box. If the suit is still pitching you forward, take note of where the breakdown begins and squat to that level off a box. Reinforce pushing the knees out and driving off the outside part of the foot and heel. Work off a progressively lower box with perfect technique until you get to competitive depth.

All of this is going to be dependent upon the weight used. It may take weights you have never attempted before just to get close to legal depth. A training partner used to squat 405-425 with an old Inzer suit. It took 455 to get him 2" above legal depth in a new Centurion.

Sometimes the suit might be stronger than you are.