Work Snacks

For those of you who work full time, what do you snack on in between your main meals? What do you eat between breakfast and lunch, then lunch and dinner while at work? I’m just looking for ideas for myself. Thanks.

Like Dan John has said, I love to bring an apple in. He uses it with his students because its portable, full of fiber, and healthy. It’s not many calories and low on the GI index.

If you need more, bring two.

I also sometimes make a Metabolic Drive shake, throw it in the office fridge then drink it whenever. That always tides me over.

I also have used bags of nuts and seeds, like cashews, sunflowers, peanuts. You have to measure the amount out though, or else you’ll eat a ton of calories.

My schedule looks like this:

7:30am Meal 1
10:30am Apple
12:30pm Lunch
3:30pm Apple/Shake
6:00pm Workout (Might have something small before this, like 1/2 my PW Shake or an apple in the car on the way home at 5pm)

[quote]SprinterOne wrote:
For those of you who work full time, what do you snack on in between your main meals? What do you eat between breakfast and lunch, then lunch and dinner while at work? I’m just looking for ideas for myself. Thanks.[/quote]

While I will not pretend I don’t “snack”, I must say that eating every 2-3 hours I don’t snack that often. I just make sure to have everything laid out the night before. Currently I eat at 8:30, 11:30, 2:30, 5:30, 8, and 10:30.

However, to try to answer your question, I do try to keep a mixture of walnuts and almonds and some fresh fruit in my office. This makes a healthy way to ward off hunger between meals without resorting to something I shouldn’t eat.

Christopher

[quote]SprinterOne wrote:
For those of you who work full time, what do you snack on in between your main meals? What do you eat between breakfast and lunch, then lunch and dinner while at work? I’m just looking for ideas for myself. Thanks.[/quote]

Between breakfast and lunch I have 3 eggs with a cup of peppers and hot sauce. Along with that 2 cups of oats with cinnamon.

Between lunch and dinner I have a chicken breast with 3 cups of broccoli and some olive oil. And along with that an apple.

I’m the queen of preparing for the week. This includes snacks, I either cook them ahead of time or pre-package them into little ziplock baggies or mini gladware containers. These include

-hard boiled eggs
-raw sunflower seeds, hulled
-raw almonds
-baggies of protein powder
-portions of cottage cheese
-nonfat mozzerella string cheese sticks
-raw baby carrots
-natural peanut butter (I eat a spoonful when I’m hungry)
-Jack Link’s Beef Nuggets
-Jack Link’s Hot and spicy beef jerkies
-Protein bars
-Sometimes dried fruit, such as cherry flavored dried plums- good with raw almonds

I also always keep a box of Metabolic Drive Bars, a container of protein powder, glutamine, multivitamins, raw almonds and a shaker in a backpack in the back of my car at all times- helps during the stressful drives home when you’re hungry, prevents the temptation to turn into McDonald’s Drive through for something bad. I find the most helpful for these times has been a handful of raw almonds while sipping bottled unsweetened iced green tea.

One thing I’ve recently started was rather than buying the bottled green tea all the time, I’ve started to recycle water and green tea bottles by running them through the dish washer with the hot dryer function turned off. Make tea from less expensive greeen tea bags, then with a spouted pitcher, fill the cleaned bottles with the cooled tea then freeze them. When you’re out the door, take one or two with you. I do this for the week as well. I know this is common sense, but some of us don’t budget well, using our busy work schedules as an excuse, and I’ve found a few more dollar bills in my wallet since I’ve started to do this, and as well the tea tastes better!

My insulated bag usually contains:

-Peanut butter sandwich
-Carrots/celery with peanut butter for dipping
-Protein shake (just bring powder, add water)
-Apple or banana
-Yogurt
-Leftovers
-Homemade burrito (rice/bean/cheese/corn)

Great replies above.

Ill add as well to them a great choice is simple precooked meat, chicken breasts, beef, fish, etc. freeze it in ziplock bags and bring it with you by the time it thaws your eating it. That and any veggies.

and once again eveything above.

Oh forgot one of my other favorites, Job dependent, is Non hulled sunflower seeds pop a hand full im your mouth and eat the things all day nice slow source of good fats all day long.

Not good if your vocally dealing with customers etc…

Oreo’s, french fries and jelly beans… jk

Fruit, fruit and fruit. mmmmm mmmmm

Right now everyone is in the break room eating their Friday morning donuts while I made my bowl of oatmeal and protein powder.

They jokingly say things like “oooooh he’s being healthy get out of here.” But I know they feel guilty and gross about eating that crap. I can not help but feel like I am smarter than them all for eating better.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
Right now everyone is in the break room eating their Friday morning donuts while I made my bowl of oatmeal and protein powder.[/quote]

Ugh, donuts. I hate donuts. They are truly the grossest non-nutritive “food” man has ever created. And to think they were once deep fried in Lard! Oatmeal and protein is such a great breakfast! Tast a million times better than donuts too.

A friend of mine at work have this salad habit. Mid-shift, she and I bring out our salad things and share them, mix them all in the same bowl. Ingredients include baby greens mix, raw sunflower seeds, golden flax seeds, shredded unsweetened coconut, bleu cheese, chicken breast, sprouts, carrots, red onion, hard boiled egg, raw zucchini, etc… We toss all that with extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar. The best snack ever. We started doing this in light of all the chips, donuts, candy, cookies, french fries, taco bell around us. Tastes 1000 times better than junk food, and we feel better too.

One apple is really not enough for me to eat. I would starve.

If I have the time, I prepare everything in advance. I can use a fridge to store things (meat etc…).
What you can do also is bringing egg whites, or make omelettes from them with stuff on it for a P+F meal.
I make oatmeal and egg white pancakes too.
Or the (no-bake) protein bars, with whey, flax seeds and peanut butter.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
They jokingly say things like “oooooh he’s being healthy get out of here.”[/quote]

I get that crap too, though I never say a thing about what others eat. You probably don’t instigate it either. What a bizzaro world we live in.

Fruit and nuts, that’s what I’m all about during the workday. Portable and hypernutritious. Reminds me often of that Talking Heads song, “Animals”:

“They’re living on nuts and berries
They say animals don’t worry
You know animals are hairy?
They think they know what’s best
They’re making a fool of us
They ought to be more careful
They’re setting a bad example”

[quote]Kailash wrote:
jbodzin wrote:
They jokingly say things like “oooooh he’s being healthy get out of here.”

I get that crap too, though I never say a thing about what others eat. You probably don’t instigate it either. What a bizzaro world we live in.

Fruit and nuts, that’s what I’m all about during the workday. Portable and hypernutritious. Reminds me often of that Talking Heads song, “Animals”:

“They’re living on nuts and berries
They say animals don’t worry
You know animals are hairy?
They think they know what’s best
They’re making a fool of us
They ought to be more careful
They’re setting a bad example”[/quote]

Yeah I never say you should not eat that unless they themselves firat say " hmmmm I shouldnt eat this but…" I usually reply with a “Be strong resist the evilness that is called Donuts.” And off them some oatmeal out of the huge container I keep.

I just want to shake the hell out of the people who bring them in and scream “Your killing your co-workers!” Why not bring in some mixed fruit or whole grain baked goods instead of Deep Fried Sugar Covered Processed Carbs.

Don’t even get me started on the candy and snack people have at their desks for others too. Ugh Disgusting.

Nuts have terrible amino acid profiles. While they may be good for you, they do hardly anything to make you grow.

Stick to tuna, mrp’s, jerky, yogurt, cottage cheese, and whey. Mix with a low glycemic carb and you’re money.

My work is crazy with no set schedule as to were I will be so I make my meals the night before and then take the cooler with me…those take along rubbermaid containers are great! and no big deal if you lose them.

1. oatmeal, powder, frozen blueberries, apples and some PB (mix water when time to eat)
  2. La Tortilla Factory tortilla some sort of protein and low G.I. carb (tuna,balsamic, spinach - lean beef, salsa -chicken,spinach,hummus)
  3. Shakes of course…
  4. salad…current favorite is spinach, chicken, red peppers, almonds with homemade asian dressing
  5. homemade protein bars

Even if you work from home this is a great idea. You always have something to reach for which alleviates making a poor choice.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
I just want to shake the hell out of the people who bring them in and scream “Your killing your co-workers!” Why not bring in some mixed fruit or whole grain baked goods instead of Deep Fried Sugar Covered Processed Carbs.[/quote]

Sadly, sugar and starch are the cheapest things in food.

I’m a creature of routine so my regimen is pretty standard.

Mornings that I don’t work out I have an Omelette for breakfast, 3 eggs, some combo of mushrooms, onions, tomatoes and either a slice of cheese, a couple pieces of bacon, or a piece of ham. Workout mornings I have my Surge.

Mid-morning I have 1/4 cup of cottage cheese, a scoop of Metabolic Drive, and fruit (either strawberry, banana, rasberry, or blackberry) I had been going with the Metabolic Drive protein bars but not so much anymore.

Lunch is a salad (usually spinach) with a protein source (chicken, tuna, mahi, occasionally steak) vinegarette dressing.
Mid-afternoon is a Metabolic Drive shake with water.

Dinner is random as I have to account for the wife’s preferences here.

Before bed is a scoop of Metabolic Drive and a bit of water - protein pudding style.

It may sound boring, but I know it works and as I need to change to accomodate for my goals it’s a very simple adjustment.

I like the cottage cheese mix at work becase it’s super ease to make ahead of time for the week. The protein powder is cake cause I just bring the powder to work and mix it there.

Hope this helps a little,

Greg

This is a great thread. I’m just trying to figure out how to juggle nutritional needs with my work schedule, myself.

My job requires me to travel quite a bit…eating in airports and hotel rooms is no easy task somedays. I recently bought and traveled with a Magic Bullet blender, some of you might have seen the infomercial…I picked one up at Target.

I love this thing! It whips up a great protein shake in no time and the hard plastic container doubles as a to-go cup so clean up is easy. I prefer my shakes blended with ice so this works well for me. In fact, I think I just talked myself into buying another one…one for home and one for the office.

[quote]arDieselar wrote:
Nuts have terrible amino acid profiles. While they may be good for you, they do hardly anything to make you grow.

Stick to tuna, mrp’s, jerky, yogurt, cottage cheese, and whey. Mix with a low glycemic carb and you’re money.[/quote]

You can’t be serious.

Peanuts have 7 grams of protein per ounce.

Isn’t that the same as lean meat?

They are loaded with clean fats (if you get the dry roasted kind).

Wasn’t it Dan John that suggested his strength athletes sip olive oil all day?

Well, a handful of peanuts is like a decent swig off of the ol’ oil bottle.

Nuts are great for you.

Hell, Yes, Nuts help you grow.

I’m working an internship this summer while training for college football so work snacks have been very important to me. My staples have been nuts, peanut butter, chicken, jerky, many many protein shakes, turkey, and tuna. I use the same snacks for when I’m at school running from class to class and then football practice in the afternoon. Need to stay fueled for the body and mind!!!