Work Out Safety (Chest Pains)

I’ve really been trying to up my cardio to drop weight. I?ve been spending about 1 hour on the elliptical machine 5 days a weeks. I can burn off 1000 calories in this hour, so I’m averaging about 5000 calories a week. I’ve been sticking to a 1500 calorie a day diet, high protein, followed by carbs, and some good fats, maybe a 50/30/20 ratio.

I?m spacing my meals out about every 2 hours like I should, and I?m not really finding that I’m leaving my self hungry. As long as I’m eating my 200 to 250 calorie meal every 2 hours I’m always satisfied.

However…

I’ve noticed that I’ve been getting some light chest pains, just very briefly. It’s right in the center of my chest, not really in my heart region. When they happen usually it’s when I?m at rest, and have been at some time. It seems to be in an inhale and then when I exhale it goes away.

I’ve never experienced this before. I talked to a nurse friend of mine and she said that since it wasn’t rate in the region of the heart it may be a pressure build up in the chest cavity of some kind since it happens on the inhale.

I haven’t noticed this chest pain when I’ve been working out, and it’s not a bad pain again it?s more of a pressure on my chest. I just want to be sure I’m being safe because I know I’m pushing my self pretty hard when I’m doing my cardio. Usually by about 40 minutes into my hour work out my heart rate is above where the machine is telling me it should be.

Has any one else experienced any thing like this?

Thanks

Your post doesn’t make sense/is not internally consistent. 1500 calories a day is too few in all liklihood. And it is not about 5000 calories per week. It’s 4500 calories in 3 days. Are you lifting? Cardio is all well and good. But it should be turned to after a solid lifting program and diet to speed fat loss.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Your post doesn’t make sense/is not internally consistent. 1500 calories a day is too few in all liklihood. And it is not about 5000 calories per week. It’s 4500 calories in 3 days. Are you lifting? Cardio is all well and good. But it should be turned to after a solid lifting program and diet to speed fat loss.[/quote]

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead

I am BURNING 1000 calories on the elliptical machine 5 times a week. 5 x 1000 equals 5000 calories burned. Second I am following advice found on this site, and by a personal trainer friend of mine about my work outs. I’m not asking about them.

My question was about the chest pains I’m experiencing not about my work outs.

[quote]sma92878 wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Your post doesn’t make sense/is not internally consistent. 1500 calories a day is too few in all liklihood. And it is not about 5000 calories per week. It’s 4500 calories in 3 days. Are you lifting? Cardio is all well and good. But it should be turned to after a solid lifting program and diet to speed fat loss.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead

I am BURNING 1000 calories on the elliptical machine 5 times a week. 5 x 1000 equals 5000 calories burned. Second I am following advice found on this site, and by a personal trainer friend of mine about my work outs. I’m not asking about them.

[/quote]

Yes, well hopefully someone will help you out with that. Good luck!

Dont worry about these mate ( flame me people ) ive had them throughout my life at different points. For me it feels like a really really sharp pain int he centre of my chest. The best way i can describe it is the feeling that youve got a needle lodged inside of you. Whenever you breathe in it hurts even more. What i have found is to take really shallow short breaths. Im talking about barely any air in. Also holding your breath for 10 seconds or so also helps to get rid of the pain.

Your not the only person to have this a few of my friends get it too. Ive been told a million things that they could be. Blood clots in your lungs (alveoli etc), growing pains, a form of stitch but in your chest and not your lower abdominal region and heart attack… etc. So there you go no definitive answer but myself and others have not been affected at all by this.

If you are overly worried get yourself to the hospital in accident and emergency where they will take it seriously.

Sounds like a postural problem to me. Do you let your shoulders roll forwards? I get pains in the chest if I do that. Paying attention the position of the thoraic spine helps.

Jeez, I can’t remember how many times I’ve seen Cy post about not asking for medical advice on this site. Don’t talk to a nurse friend of yours, TALK TO A DOCTOR, and one that knows a thing or two about sports medicine.

That being said, it could be something as simple as you swallowing air while exersizing and just needing to burp, but it could be something more serious, do you have asthma? If you didnt before, maybe you do now. What you’re describing sounds a lot like asthma symptoms to me. If you DO have asthma, you probably need to take a cortico-steroid medication to reduce inflmation (it’ll make losing weight harder, trust me, but it’s worth it) if you’re not already doing so. If you ARE already on such meds, then you probably need to also get yourself checked for a murmur, and need to talk to your doc about how much Albuterol you’re taking.

hope this helps, take care of yourself…

-K

Sometimes chest pains just go away… when you die.

[quote]sma92878 wrote:
jsbrook wrote:

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead

[/quote]

okay - it sounds like you’re stressed. Really stressed. Anxiety and stress will do strange things to the body, including:

-miscellaneous pains
-inability to lose fat
-posting snarky messages on the internet

and it sometimes even kills people. If you really are buring 1000 calories a day and eating 1500, then i would say that you’re under some stress. But i decline to comment about your diet and workouts.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

1500 calories a day and then burning 1000 on an eliptical machine? You’re lucky you’re alive!

You’re leaving your body with nothing to survive on throughout the day. You’re VERY lucky you’re only having chest pains.

Go see a doctor.

I have had problems with ribs, where they connect to the sternum. I personally see a GOOD chiropractor who understands lifting, etc. You may also want to check that avenue along with your GP/MD.

I would not take any chances with chest pains and would see both immediately and ask for a full work up.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

1500 calories a day and then burning 1000 on an eliptical machine? You’re lucky you’re alive!

You’re leaving your body with nothing to survive on throughout the day. You’re VERY lucky you’re only having chest pains.

Go see a doctor.[/quote]

Do it now or become 4est’s prophecy. Hell is full of cardio machines.