T Nation

Work or School?

I always think I would rather be working full time than be a full time student. Almost everyone I talk to in the real world says they wish they were back in school.

Would you rather be working or in school?

I realize many people go to school and have a job, but I’m talking about only doing one.

School… so you can actually get a real paying full-time job… Duh

Depends on what you want to do. If you are undecided find that first and go to college if that would help your career choice.

My fault for not explaining what I meant.

I mean would you rather be working at the job you get after you receive your degree or do you wish you were back in school again?

Uncle Gabby - love the icon.

Back in school, hands down. Especially law school, for me. I miss spending hours each day doing interesting things with interesting people, in an environment where your screw-ups really only hurt you. You will never again have a chance and an environment to get so close to similar (and different) people.

I lived in a shitty apartment, had a futon, got new clothes maybe once a year, and worried about gas money back when gas was a dollar a gallon, and I would still go back.

Work is…well…it’s work.

No way in hell would I want to be back in school; especially considering the current state of the economy.

Also, I think you grow up substantially when you get graduate, start working for about 10-15 years, and realize the world is a vastly different arena than the Utopia known as College Life.

Actual responsibility tends to sully the liberal ideals of a student over time…

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:
No way in hell would I want to be back in school; especially considering the current state of the economy.

Also, I think you grow up substantially when you get graduate, start working for about 10-15 years, and realize the world is a vastly different arena than the Utopia known as College Life.

Actual responsibility tends to sully the liberal ideals of a student over time…[/quote]

Or, the defeatist attitudes of the slobs you work with starts to get to you, you decide that you don’t belong in the real world, and you go back to school.

Just sayin’.

I would stay in college for the rest of my life if I could have.

It is so much better. I have a great job and pretty much make my own hours. And, I didn’t even party that much in college.
But, you can’t beat college life.

One semester I had class only on Tues and Thursday from like 10am-5pm, and no job. Can’t beat that :smiley:

I’ve done both throughout college and grad school (finish next month) but I have to say I always enjoyed work alot more than school. I’m a very introverted person though- I think a more sociable, outgoing person would probably enjoy school more as they would meet a wider variety of people than in a work environment.

I would only go back if there was some way to keep the wisdom I’d gained in the interim. I made mistakes, hung out with the wrong people and missed opportunities when I was in high school and undergrad- I’m always left wondering what would have happened if I did XYZ where I’d be now. Otherwise I am happier working and would not go back.

[quote]tom8658 wrote:

Or, the defeatist attitudes of the slobs you work with starts to get to you, you decide that you don’t belong in the real world, and you go back to school.

Just sayin’.[/quote]

Good luck with that approach.

Just sayin’

How about working full time and going to school full time? I’ll save you some time it sucks. I wish I could just go to school. How great life would be.

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:
tom8658 wrote:

Just sayin’.

Good luck with that approach.

Just sayin’[/quote]

It’s hardly impossible. For some reason, demand for Ph.D. students who aren’t likely to take their education back to India is sky-high.

[quote]tom8658 wrote:

It’s hardly impossible. For some reason, demand for Ph.D. students who aren’t likely to take their education back to India is sky-high.[/quote]

Agreed… I still would rather take my chances in the working environment. Perhaps it depends on how long you’ve been out of school. In my case, college ended back in 1992.

That chapter is closed for me; fond memories, but closed nonetheless.

[quote]tom8658 wrote:

It’s hardly impossible. For some reason, demand for Ph.D. students who aren’t likely to take their education back to India is sky-high.[/quote]

Agreed… I still would rather take my chances in the working environment. Perhaps it depends on how long you’ve been out of school. In my case, college ended back in 1992.

That chapter is closed for me; fond memories, but closed nonetheless.

Im a stay at home mom(work) and go to school full time(online)…the beauty part is that I get paid to go to school(VA benefits)

I wouldn’t trade this time for the world and would stay in school forever if I could! But I
know I will eventually have to join the ‘real world.’

the grash is always greener bro

If you are asking whether or not I miss school, in some ways I do. It was great sleeping in every day, skipping when I wanted to with no real consequences, partying all the time, essentially having a stable of sexy bitches isolated in a small college town to choose from etc.

I love my job though. I am an advertising account executive which means I entertain people for a living and convince them to spend money that can’t really be tangibly accounted for. I find it humurous.

But I’m only dealing with representatives of large companies who don’t really give a shit, they were just told to find an ad agency and they let me bribe them to use mine.

So I spend company money to take people to 5 star restaraunts, bars, titty bars (including VIP for our best clients), golfing, NFL and MLB games etc. And I’m right there with them though I slip water between my own drinks and get them toasty so they are much easier to negotiate with.

I literally live like a high roller during my “9-5” and take salary plus renewable commission home after earning it at the daily party that is my job.

Personally, I love my life now over my life in college.

Edit:

When I’m not out with a client or at a networking event, I am in my office. My account manager (who works for me) and creative guy handle my clients. Once I bring them on board, they call the acct. mgr. to tell her what they need for a campaign. She does the research on media pricing, contracts etc and coordinates with my creative guy to design the campaign pieces. I have overall say on the campaign structure and final products but they do the administrative shit. Then I get the commission. Ha!

While in the office, I search for opportunities to bid on, which turns in to more entertaining. I can bounce around on sites like tnation in a seperate browser. Also awesome.

“school” and “college” denote completely different things. One is papers and cramming and arbitrary standards that arent always clearly explained and not getting paid to work. The other is no real responsibility, partying, and living in a bubble where 90% of the people you interact with are your exact age, or give or take a year.

I kind of miss college, I dont miss school.