Work Hard, Play Hard

[quote]etaco wrote:
Renton wrote:
Play time in Norway

That’s always looked like fun to me. How do you get into that, assuming you don’t live next to a glacier? (meaning what kind of training is needed before going on a trip some place to do it?)[/quote]

I started walking mountains with my dad many (MANY!) years ago. The conditioning is awesome - thousands of feet up the trail and thousands of feet back down.

When we were up high I always used to see awsome looking less trodden paths which my dad would tell me about - always saying that we’d do them when I was a bit older.

We never did. He died before I had the chance to walk those trails with him. It instilled within me a love of rock though.

When on leave I’d walk the paths for the memories it gave me and soon I started hitting the low, then high grade scrambles. Military training had taught me to climb and abseil but I never really got a thrill from rock climbing.

The biggest mountaineering thrill I got was years ago when on a training mission over crib goch (Pictured in my profile). We traversed it at night in deep winter, in a massive storm. 80 ish guys, roped in three’s, full kit. Force 10 snow storm raging around us. Total and utter buzz.

That’s when I knew I liked the ice. After that my climbs and walks were mainly done during the winter in extremely adverse conditions. Ice climbing was a natural part of that.

As to what skills you need to learn, as long as you are fit there’s no reason to not get out there and do it, under instruction.

Winter walking is great to teach the weather (Very important on a big mixed route climb) and I’m lucky enough to have Scotland just a few hours away with some of the toughest winter terrain in the world. It also teaches you good control of your crampons and axes. How to avoid being killed when you fall down a steep slope etc.

Basic rock climbing and rope work skills are also essential and teach you how to climb as a team.

There’s a lot in rock climbing with ropes that works with ice - different tools (Ice screws rather than cams etc) but it’s very much about making yourself safe in the event of a fall. The main difference is you need experience to tell you what sort of ice you are on, tell tale colours that say to you “traverse this and you are dead” - made a lot easier in places like Norway where there is usaully good thick ice.

Not being big headed here but it is a very tough and dangerous sport to do in the great outdoors. There are so many variables. Especially when you start to solo ice.

I’d look at getting some climbing wall experience and learning rope work. Then move on to an inside ice wall - don’t know if you have them in the US but we have quite a few here in the UK. Meanwhile get some mountain experience too, big high trails with plenty of scrambling, and winter work where crampons are required.

As far as training, it’s all about strength and balance. If you can do a good number of pullups and you have good leg and core strength you’ll be fine. A head for heights helps too!

Finally, get your ass out here to the UK and hit the Cairngorms with me in the winter. I can show you some routes that’ll blow your mind and beat the shit out of near enough anything in the Alps.

Rafting in New Zealand

[quote]Rugby_T wrote:
Rafting in New Zealand[/quote]

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCEEEEE!!!

Where the Hell was that!!! Oh, MAN-- I’m salivating!!

[quote]Rugby_T wrote:
Rafting in New Zealand[/quote]

SWEEEEEEEEET!

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Rugby_T wrote:
Rafting in New Zealand

Where the Hell was that!!! Oh, MAN-- I’m salivating!![/quote]

That was in the Rotorua area, the river was pretty heavy that day and we were only just allowed onto the river, that part of the river was a 9m drop!

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Rugby_T wrote:
Rafting in New Zealand

Where the Hell was that!!! Oh, MAN-- I’m salivating!![/quote]

Lol - Put even better than me. I may have to go and masturbate now.

Jumping off the Sky Tower in Auckland

[quote]Rugby_T wrote:
Jumping off the Sky Tower in Auckland[/quote]

Always fun.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Rugby_T wrote:

Always fun.[/quote]

HINT: Mak - give it a try without a rope or canopy…

[quote]Renton wrote:
Makavali wrote:
Rugby_T wrote:

Always fun.

HINT: Mak - give it a try without a rope or canopy…[/quote]

I did, can’t you tell from my posts?

[quote]Renton wrote:
etaco wrote:
Renton wrote:
Play time in Norway

That’s always looked like fun to me. How do you get into that, assuming you don’t live next to a glacier? (meaning what kind of training is needed before going on a trip some place to do it?)

I started walking mountains with my dad many (MANY!) years ago. The conditioning is awesome - thousands of feet up the trail and thousands of feet back down.

When we were up high I always used to see awsome looking less trodden paths which my dad would tell me about - always saying that we’d do them when I was a bit older.

We never did. He died before I had the chance to walk those trails with him. It instilled within me a love of rock though.

When on leave I’d walk the paths for the memories it gave me and soon I started hitting the low, then high grade scrambles. Military training had taught me to climb and abseil but I never really got a thrill from rock climbing.

The biggest mountaineering thrill I got was years ago when on a training mission over crib goch (Pictured in my profile). We traversed it at night in deep winter, in a massive storm. 80 ish guys, roped in three’s, full kit. Force 10 snow storm raging around us. Total and utter buzz.

That’s when I knew I liked the ice. After that my climbs and walks were mainly done during the winter in extremely adverse conditions. Ice climbing was a natural part of that.

As to what skills you need to learn, as long as you are fit there’s no reason to not get out there and do it, under instruction.

Winter walking is great to teach the weather (Very important on a big mixed route climb) and I’m lucky enough to have Scotland just a few hours away with some of the toughest winter terrain in the world. It also teaches you good control of your crampons and axes. How to avoid being killed when you fall down a steep slope etc.

Basic rock climbing and rope work skills are also essential and teach you how to climb as a team.

There’s a lot in rock climbing with ropes that works with ice - different tools (Ice screws rather than cams etc) but it’s very much about making yourself safe in the event of a fall. The main difference is you need experience to tell you what sort of ice you are on, tell tale colours that say to you “traverse this and you are dead” - made a lot easier in places like Norway where there is usaully good thick ice.

Not being big headed here but it is a very tough and dangerous sport to do in the great outdoors. There are so many variables. Especially when you start to solo ice.

I’d look at getting some climbing wall experience and learning rope work. Then move on to an inside ice wall - don’t know if you have them in the US but we have quite a few here in the UK. Meanwhile get some mountain experience too, big high trails with plenty of scrambling, and winter work where crampons are required.

As far as training, it’s all about strength and balance. If you can do a good number of pullups and you have good leg and core strength you’ll be fine. A head for heights helps too!

Finally, get your ass out here to the UK and hit the Cairngorms with me in the winter. I can show you some routes that’ll blow your mind and beat the shit out of near enough anything in the Alps.[/quote]

Cool story. That sounds awesome.

I’ll definitely look into it this winter. I’ve done some rock climbing in the past and I’ve been meaning to get back into that anyway.

A day my friends and I were bored.
Thats me in the air.

Damn, Steely! What an adventure. And to think at first I thought your avatar was you and your son!

IronD –

HA!! LMFAO!! No, that’s me in the bandana and a colleague of mine just in front (blurred).

I’m a whitewater junkie. I’ve done some caving and climbing, but NOTHING like what Renton has done.

If you look at the first pic, you see a guy with his hands in the air in the back with me? That’s my boss who just turned 50.

In addition to white water rafting, sky diving, cliff jumping, being a small aircraft pilot, and avid water skier, he is a power lifter. He just totaled close to a 1300 at 50 years old-- something like 530+ D/L, 450+ Squat, and a near 300 Bench

We’re all a bunch of computer geeks, but to balance the extreme geekiness, we all have our extreme outlets. One guy in the raft got clocked at 140mph on his way to our meeting spot-- he’s in deep shit as far as his license…

Wish I had pics but I can’t find any right now.

I have only gone whitewater rafting once in WV. It was class 4 - 6 rapids and tons of fun.

There were many flipped rafts and several men thrown overboard.

Pulling men in to your raft from the water is a good workout.

The entire trip was 7+ hours and you felt exhausted by the end.

Renton-

Was just looking at some of your pics in your profile. Sweet Baby Jesus that’s some beautiful country. I love the ice/snow myself.

Have you ever read the novel “Antarctica” by Kim Stanley Robinson? I think you’d enjoy it, certainly you could relate to some of the adventures :wink:

Me jumping off of Mad Dawg rock in Royal Gorge, CA. Jumped where the guys are up at the top.

Me in Breckenridge. Snowboarding, theres nothing like it to me. I don’t even smoke weed except for when I’m on the mountain.

This is 12,840+ feet up hence the full face gear.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Renton-

Was just looking at some of your pics in your profile. Sweet Baby Jesus that’s some beautiful country. I love the ice/snow myself.

Have you ever read the novel “Antarctica” by Kim Stanley Robinson? I think you’d enjoy it, certainly you could relate to some of the adventures ;)[/quote]

Not read it but I’ll certainly get a copy now.

The UK may not have particularly big mountains, the highest being only 3650ft but the way they were formed gives rise to some mind blowingly beautiful hills.

Our weather system too is very complex given our position in the gulf stream and in relation to the Arctic and Africa so very rapid changes are common especially on the mountains.

I’ve started a climb in bright sunshine and three hours later been caught in a snow storm. An hour later driving rain then finish the day in the sun again as if the snow and rain had never happened.

Boy scout motto holds very true for UK mountaineering - be prepared.