T Nation

Work Hams and Glutes w/out Low Back

what kind of movements can strengthen the glutes and hams while minimizing lower back involvement? I have SI joint dysfunction in my right glute and it feels like a knife stabbing in me whenever i do lunges or single leg rdls on my right leg. Thx a bunch

bw glute ham raise
leg curl
glute ham raise station
reverse hyper

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:
what kind of movements can strengthen the glutes and hams while minimizing lower back involvement? I have SI joint dysfunction in my right glute and it feels like a knife stabbing in me whenever i do lunges or single leg rdls on my right leg. Thx a bunch[/quote]

Training around your problem is a short term option, I’d advise you put a lot of effort in fixing you SI problem, then you’ll be able to do a greater variety of exercises.
Apologies if you have already adressed this.

I had bad SI joint that feels like a knife also. I went several chiro’s that did not help much even when they adjusted the joint itself. I researched this for the several years it nagged me.

I am no doctor but it seems like there are 3 general categories for why it may hurt:

1. SI joint truly out of place
  2. referenced pain to there and not the joint itself
  3. SI joint moves too much causing the pain

I currently do the stuff in the link for Eric Cressey’s blog below + lots of reverse hypers. It does hurt ever so slightly now. I won’t complain with how bad it used to be.

Resources I would check up on:

1. Eric Cressey has some recommendations:
    http://ericcressey.blogspot.com/2007/05/si-joint-relief.html
    (Check out the Magnificent Mobility DVD. The moves mentioned on that site are in the DVD also)

2. Notice the exercises they have are “bird dogs” and the prone leg lifts are somewhat similar to a reverse hyper:
    http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_15_1_2.htm

3. SI joint forum thread with an exercise you can try. It did not help me much. Everyone is different though so why not check it out:
    http://www.rebuildyourback.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525

So I hope that is a good start. Let me know if you did anything for your SI joint before this and if it helped or not.

Glute ham raises are your best bet. The name explains itself.

leg curls and squats

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
leg curls and squats[/quote]

He can’t do lunges what makes you think he can do squats.

GHR to me are your best bet also.

Try pullthroughs that emphasize the glutes. Sit back into it as opposed to keeping legs straight.

Leg Curl, Butt Blaster, 4-Way Hip Machine.

The GHR, Reverse Hyper, Pull-Through, and all other good “posterior chain” exercises hit the lower back somewhat. Why would you not want that? Loui Simmons invented the reverse hyper to exercise and fix his broken back. Do you have a more serious condition?

lol squats

i also think u should do heavy deads from a platform

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:
lol squats

i also think u should do heavy deads from a platform[/quote]

lol ya heavy deads from a platform. definitely

lol at squats too. I think IM gonna cut out all quadriceps work until my posture is correct down there. Thank you all for the information. I know for a fact that chiros and pts dont help so thx again.

FightingScott, I dont want to stimulate my lower back because its crazy tight and my abs are crazy…not. I have extreme anterior pelvic tilt and is pretty much the reason y my groin bone had a microfracture two years ago from doing so much squats and deadlifts which in turn made my right foot overwork and gave birth to plantar fascitis that literally killed me for a year all through senior year of high school.

Now, my posture down there is spreading to my SI joint . My back is way too tight. Hence is the reason y i asked for movements that MINIMIZED lower back involvement because like you, i know for a fact that every exercise that works the posterior chain works the lower back in some way. Strengthening my back is the worst thing for me to do right now but thx for the concern.

B.b. in stress!: That sounds pretty legitimate. I’m glad you’ve got the balls to continue training your legs despite your back injury.

The 4-way hip machine or stretch-band stomps along with the leg curl are good ways to get your glutes and hamstrings without hitting your lower back. Doing leg curls with the cable machine is harder but it gets your glutes and hamstrings working together (about as much as a Glute-Ham raise). Doing Front Squats is pretty lower-back safe and also will work your Glutes to some extent.

I forgot. Sled Pulling. Pushing a sled at a low angle would probably be really bad for you but good for most people. Sled Pulling, on the other hand, will make your legs strong but won’t call for your lower back to support anything extra.

FightingScott,
is that the same as sled dragging? what if I do that and run backwards?

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:
FightingScott,
is that the same as sled dragging? what if I do that and run backwards?[/quote]

Yeah. It’s the same. Running or pulling it backwards is more Quad Dominant. In fact it’s pretty much all Quads if your pulling the sled backwards and facing the sled. If your facing away from the sled its going to be like a lunge except more hips, more hams, and no load on your lower back.

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:
lol squats

i also think u should do heavy deads from a platform[/quote]

With a snatch grip! Don’t forget to superset heavy good-mornings with that.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
HotCarl28 wrote:
lol squats

With a snatch grip! Don’t forget to superset heavy good-mornings with that.[/quote]

And do an isometric hold at the bottom position then a very slow negative at the end of the set. Then do power cleans.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
pat36 wrote:
HotCarl28 wrote:
lol squats

With a snatch grip! Don’t forget to superset heavy good-mornings with that.

And do an isometric hold at the bottom position then a very slow negative at the end of the set. Then do power cleans.[/quote]

Then the Back Attack with Bands.

I think you’ve answered your own question: correct the anterior tilt before you do anything else. I’m in the same boat, except a lot older and apparantly with less severe symptoms.
Stretch the hell out of your hip flexors. You must prioritize bringing up the “anterior core” and stretching the muscles that are tight on the opposing side of the force couple in question. Choose your anterior core work wisely. Utilize movements where you can posteriorly tilt the pelvis during the movement, i.e. dead bugs, lying pelvic thrusts, hanging knee raises, knee pull-ins on the exercise ball, ab roller, etc. I’d avoid any crunching movement where the legs are anchored as well as ab work using the overhead cable apparatus.

IMO strengthening the glutes/hams is secondary in this situation. Glute ham raises, pull-throughs, leg curls, maybe leg presses with feet wide and towards the top of the platform could be some viable options.
Good luck.

squats… using a hip belt. i have the same problem and am looking forward trying these, Ironmind has the one that Magnus Samuelsson used for his fucked up back but, theyre 100 bucks christmas.

Radjxf, im going to have to disagree with the your comment about strengthening glutes/hams as secondary. this is because i think that one of the roots of SI joint problems are glute/ham weakness and tightness. working the glutes and hams more in order to teach them to fire and thus de-stress the lower back muscle has been helping me. BTW respect to your beastly profile pics, im a pissant OLY lifter.

this type of issue is starting to pop up a lot!

i have had a misplaced SI for the last year. just now i am finally beginning to recover. here is what has allowed me to jump right into a full OLY workout including PR snatches. (not that i should have done it)

1. never sleep on stomach (previously i did this every-night)
  2. dynamic hamstring stretch, stand and hold onto a door. then swing you extended leg in a forward arc, contract abs. (this i do all day and between sets).
  3. mentally focus on moving from the hips during workouts and throughout the day. (this will also basically make you a good lifter by default).
  4. fish oil at every meal, i get 400 pills for 9 bucks at costco.

-kyle

[quote]typicalteenager wrote:
Radjxf, im going to have to disagree with the your comment about strengthening glutes/hams as secondary. this is because i think that one of the roots of SI joint problems are glute/ham weakness and tightness. working the glutes and hams more in order to teach them to fire and thus de-stress the lower back muscle has been helping me.[/quote]

I must agree with you there about the glutes and hams except the fact that they aren’t tight. hips, lower back, and quadriceps are tight and we need to lengthen those.