Work and Colleagues Losing their Jobs

Did it work?

My job is funded by government grants from the NIH.

Thanks to your hard-earned tax dollars, I can spend more time on line at T-Nation, while I also push back the frontiers of science.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I’m a self-employed illustrator, so the “office” hasn’t laid anyone off here. lol

Seriously though… My agent tells me the market is really bad and many of her clients have been fired. This, coupled with corporate graphics departments downsizing everywhere has resulted in graphic designers now trying to survive on doing illustration work!

So now we have a bunch of unemployed designers out there vying for the few good projects that we illustrators are trying to grab up. Ironically (or perhaps because I’m so damned good), I remain perpetually busy with work with no end in sight. [/quote]

Uh,Wow. Im going to school for Web Design right now. Your sorta making me worried. I mean,Web Design isent exactly illustration or graphic but pretty similar to the graphic aspect…

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

Arch-nemesis? When did you become a superhero?[/quote]

I was born that way.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
How can a college lose a job?

;)[/quote]

I was drinking in celebration!

What can I say.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Only one person of importance has been let go. Her name was Zsate. Hottest chick in the entire building. No kids, she’s younger than me, and still legal.

DAMN YOU AT&T!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!![/quote]

I agree, and I don’t even know Zsate, but damn AT&T to hell anyway!

We’re going to be cutting back soon.

Ten years ago, at a different company, during a layoff I was offered a job change into an area that did not interest me or 5 months of severance pay. I took the severance and ran for the door before they could change their mind.

Now, in an entirely different industry, I am in the position of telling my boss how much it will save the company to ‘cut heads’. They pick the heads, but my boss wants my input on whether I thought certain people I work with are ‘keepers’ or not.

Someone she wanted to axe I recommended we keep, so he was spared. Another guy I am trying to keep around may not be so fortunate. I keep pulling for him because I think the guy has potential and works hard, but she’s not sold on him. There are plenty of others I’d axe before him.

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:

So what’s worse, being laid off on a Friday of being asked to pick up the slack on Monday?

BG[/quote]

For me, it’s not really that I’m being asked to pick up the slack. I’m happy to do it, but I know that I will be busy the next few weeks because we will be able to get deals done! My job is to write up the deals after they are negotiated.

I have been so slow because the person okaying and negotiating the deals was a complete idiot. His negotiation style was not to give in on anything. Sorry, but that just doesn’t flow.

I will have to go in this weekend to write up one deal that he was being an ass on. Good for me, because I get paid overtime to do it!

Already today, I was able to send out work to be signed because he is gone.

[quote]Christine wrote:
beachguy498 wrote:

So what’s worse, being laid off on a Friday of being asked to pick up the slack on Monday?

BG

For me, it’s not really that I’m being asked to pick up the slack. I’m happy to do it, but I know that I will be busy the next few weeks because we will be able to get deals done! My job is to write up the deals after they are negotiated.

I have been so slow because the person okaying and negotiating the deals was a complete idiot. His negotiation style was not to give in on anything. Sorry, but that just doesn’t flow.

I will have to go in this weekend to write up one deal that he was being an ass on. Good for me, because I get paid overtime to do it!

Already today, I was able to send out work to be signed because he is gone. [/quote]

Even though your arch-nemesis is gone now, he’ll come back in the sequel and try to kill you. Like Darth Vader did in Empire Strikes Back. Don’t lose a hand, Christine.

It sucked at my job that they let 4 people go in my building 2-weeks before Christmas so they didn’t have to give a bonus, or that is the reason riding the wave of office gossip.

We also let go a crazy lady but that was due to her physically chasing me around the office… so I too am a super hero and had an arch-nemesis. A 6ft tall screaming, loony of a person, who would hit herself in the head and tell people, “I am just crazy, it’s what I do.” Her I was happy to see go.

Last week they chopped the heads off of 3 Directors.

It is a sad thing, I hope all circumstances turn around and things pick up and people find jobs.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

…so I too am a super hero and had an arch-nemesis. A 6ft tall screaming, loony of a person, who would hit herself in the head and tell people, “I am just crazy, it’s what I do.” [/quote]

You worked with YoMomma?

:slight_smile:

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

Even though your arch-nemesis is gone now, he’ll come back in the sequel and try to kill you. Like Darth Vader did in Empire Strikes Back. Don’t lose a hand, Christine.[/quote]

Don’t think that I’m not worried. Dude was ex-military.

But he is really super skinny, so I think I might have a chance.

[quote]Christine wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

…so I too am a super hero and had an arch-nemesis. A 6ft tall screaming, loony of a person, who would hit herself in the head and tell people, “I am just crazy, it’s what I do.”

You worked with YoMomma?

:)[/quote]

oh that was a good one…

and that would be awesome (I have started using this word and imitating Barney, I have no idea why.)

[quote]Christine wrote:
WolBarret wrote:

Even though your arch-nemesis is gone now, he’ll come back in the sequel and try to kill you. Like Darth Vader did in Empire Strikes Back. Don’t lose a hand, Christine.

But he is really super skinny, so I think I might have a chance.[/quote]

With a tub of Vaseline and Crisco, he can snake his way through you air vents and get you. Best of luck, Christine.

Just remember this: A punch in the throat and a kick in the balls work every time.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Christine wrote:
WolBarret wrote:

With a tub of Vaseline and Crisco, he can snake his way through you air vents and get you. Best of luck, Christine.

Just remember this: A punch in the throat and a kick in the balls work every time.[/quote]

Great, I’ll be up all night booby trapping the house.

Thanks.

[quote]Christine wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
Christine wrote:
WolBarret wrote:

Just remember this: A punch in the throat and a kick in the balls work every time.

Great, I’ll be up all night booby trapping the house.

Thanks.[/quote]

you typed BOOBY

you typed BOOBY

[/quote]

Oh, TITS!

Ok, enough of the titty talk…

They skimmed off of the top the managers who really haven’t been performing. There was no warning at all.

A guard came to their cubical/office, handed them a box and asked them to clean out their desks. Everybody was freaked out. Especially, since it was a week before Christmas.

Christine wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

…so I too am a super hero and had an arch-nemesis. A 6ft tall screaming, loony of a person, who would hit herself in the head and tell people, “I am just crazy, it’s what I do.”

You worked with YoMomma?

:slight_smile:

oh that was a good one…

and that would be awesome (I have started using this word and imitating Barney, I have no idea why.)
[/quote]

Ain’t nobody do crazy like I do.

Not to distract from the thread, but…

I find it interesting that all the “water cooler talk” I hear is mostly focused on who is losing their job and what local businesses are closing versus the financial raping and pillaging that is currently going on behind the scenes in Washington. (i.e. Bank profits remain privatized. Bank losses are being socialized onto the taxpayers. The Fed printing new money to buy up our bad loans.)

I’ve heard nary a word about that at work. People seem to be blissfully unaware. No outrage, nothing.