Words To Live By

So I have an assignment I’m working on for my “Tension Management” phys. ed class that I’m taking. We have to make a list of our “Beliefs/Philosophies by Which We Live.” I was wondering if anyone else had some cool ones to share. Here’s what my list looks like now:

The more you expect from a situation, the more you get.

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want most for what they want now.

There is no traffic on the extra mile.

There are no dead-beat high performers

Getting better is more important than winning

It’s hard to give a bad pass to a good player

Events have no meaning except that which you give them.

You are a combination of the five people you spend the most time with.

The more you sweat in practice the less you bleed in war.

Knowing is half the battle (YO JOE!)

The vision of a champion is bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when nobody else is looking.
Mia Hamm

When life gives you lemons, just say fuck the lemons, and bail.

Awesome list man, I’m definitely going to save these.

Here are some I just found;

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

If you don’t have confidence, you’ll always find a way not to win.

Problems are only opportunities in work clothes.

Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible.

From my facebook:

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. Walter Bagehot

Do not spend your time upset over things you have little control over when you can enjoy life. Just make sure by the time you leave it, it is a better place because you were in it.

Exercise is for people who can’t handle drugs and alcohol. - Lily Tomlin

“Pain is weakness leaving the body”

“Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not. When you race him, he will win.” Tom Fleming

"you can quit and they won’t care…but you will always know- john colins

success is getting what you want… happiness is wanting what you have.

We find in life exactly what we put into it. LIVE. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Success is living up to your potential. That’s all. Wake up with a smile and go after life! Live it, enjoy it, taste it, smell it, feel it.

The physical pain you feel can’t compare to the emotional pain you feel, when you quit

You never work out and regret it. You never go for a run and when you are done say “I wish I would have just stayed home”. You never climb a mountain, get to the top and say “should have just been content to stay where I was?”

The race is long and in the end, it’s only with yourself.

If you always get what you want, maybe you’re not expecting enough.

There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man. The true
nobility is in being superior to your previous self.

“Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore.”- Lasse Viren

“Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” T.S. Eliot

“There are many paths to the top of the mountain,
…but only one view”

"It is one of the strange ironies of this strange life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest men. When you see 20 or 30 men line up for a distance race in some meet, don’t pity them, don’t feel sorry for them. Better envy them instead.Brutus Hamilton

“The vision of a champion is bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when nobody else is looking.”
“I am building a fire, and everyday I train, I add more fuel. At just the right moment, I light the match.”- Both by Mia Hamm

To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountains which sustain life, not the top. Here is where things grow. When you try to climb a mountain to prove how big you are, you never make it." -Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance (great book)

“Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood and the last drop of fuel, to the last beat of the heart.”-Baron Manfred Von Richthofen

This is your life. Good to the last drop. It does not get any better than this. You must understand that you are going to die someday. Until you know this, you are useless. - graffiti in bathroom stall @ Concordia U.

I’ve always been fond of the quote, “He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.”

Under no circumstances should you take your body for granted.

I know its not exactly elegant, but I fully believe that.

[quote]bluefingas wrote:
When life gives you lemons, just say fuck the lemons, and bail.[/quote]

Naw, when god gives you lemons you FIND A NEW GOD.

Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but don’t no body wanna lift this heavy ass weight…I do.~ Big Ron (been using this one for a minute)

Fuck it, I’m in.

The only difference between a rut and a grave is depth. ~ I think I stole this from an article, not sure.

Formulate and stamp indelibly on your mind a mental picture of yourself as succeeding. Hold this picture tenaciously. Never permit it to fade. Your mind will seek to develop the picture…Do not build up obstacles in your imagination.
Norman Vincent Peale
US clergyman (1898 - 1993)

In the army we always said “Pain is just weakness leaving your body”

" I’m doing what I do, the way I’ve always done it, and the way I’ll always do it"

• Kosmo Kramer

I may be drunk, madam, but you’re ugly and I’ll be sober in the morning - Churchill you slay me!

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:
I’ve always been fond of the quote, “He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.”[/quote]

Awesome quote, I agree.

The Edge: there’s no honest way to explain it, because the only ones who understand it are those who have gone over

from Norman Mailer:

Tough guys don’t dance. You had better believe it.

Because there is very little honor left in American life, there is a certain built-in tendency to destroy masculinity in American men. Have honor, be a man.

Culture’s worth huge, huge risks. Without culture we’re all totalitarian beasts.

when life gives you lemons, murder a drifter

Saw this during my first Boston.

“Doubters can suck it.”

[quote]Eric 2.0 wrote:

[quote]silverhydra wrote:

[quote]bluefingas wrote:
When life gives you lemons, just say fuck the lemons, and bail.[/quote]

Naw, when god gives you lemons you FIND A NEW GOD.
[/quote]
when life gives you lemons, murder a drifter
[/quote]
I read Henry Rollins’ version of this quite a while ago:

“When life hands you lemons, take them and say 'Oh yeah? I love lemons, so fuck you, what else ‘ya got?’”

I think it was something TC wrote:

Today is the youngest you’ll ever be: Live like it.

Good better best, never let it rest. Make your good better and your better best.

When training my clients.

People practice for perfection, champions practice to not get it wrong.

Defeat and retreat is not im my dictionary.

we often meet destiny on the road we took to avoid it!