Words of Wisdom on Lasik

Had it done ten years ago and my eyeballs haven’t fallen out (in your FACE, Flanders!).

Saw halos at night for a couple months but it eventually went away. Got a valium beforehand (dreamy), took a cab home and took a nap. Woke up with 20/15 vision and it’s at least 20/20 to this day with no problems. And I would think they would have the halo issue solved by now.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I am on the fence about the procedure, because more and more people are claiming that they are getting halos and seeing stars at night. I am not sure of this is an issue with the procedure itself, or the doctor who is doing it. [/quote]

My sister worked in Japan for a while studying with some of the leading optometrists. One of the topics she studied was lasik. They interviewed/examined numerous people who had these types of symptoms ranging greatly in severity of course- some seeing halos all the time, not being able to see at night, etc etc. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I know she said that after the f*ups she saw, she would never ever get lasik (and she could use it).

I know sometimes there is human error, but I remember one person she told me about where there was mechanical error (something with the calibration)- there was no way to tell during the procedure, and the person’s vision was severely messed up as a result with no way to fix it or even really make it much better (they would have had to make custom contacts with troughs and valleys at specific places on the eye where too much had been cut off and then the contacts would have to be put in aligned perfectly- aka impossible).

Basically, it’s cosmetic surgery but on your eyes, and if it goes wrong (although it’s rare), it can really really mess up your life. I’m sure her experience is just a wee bit biased of course. I’ve also known several friends who have had it and loved their results.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:
Had it done ten years ago and my eyeballs haven’t fallen out (in your FACE, Flanders!).

Saw halos at night for a couple months but it eventually went away. Got a valium beforehand (dreamy), took a cab home and took a nap. Woke up with 20/15 vision and it’s at least 20/20 to this day with no problems. And I would think they would have the halo issue solved by now.[/quote]

Most people will have halo for a short time as the cornea heals. If it doesn’t go away they screwed up…but an all laser procedure will most always heal right.

[quote]kakattack wrote:
MaximusB wrote:
I am on the fence about the procedure, because more and more people are claiming that they are getting halos and seeing stars at night. I am not sure of this is an issue with the procedure itself, or the doctor who is doing it.

My sister worked in Japan for a while studying with some of the leading optometrists. One of the topics she studied was lasik. They interviewed/examined numerous people who had these types of symptoms ranging greatly in severity of course- some seeing halos all the time, not being able to see at night, etc etc. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I know she said that after the f*ups she saw, she would never ever get lasik (and she could use it).

I know sometimes there is human error, but I remember one person she told me about where there was mechanical error (something with the calibration)- there was no way to tell during the procedure, and the person’s vision was severely messed up as a result with no way to fix it or even really make it much better (they would have had to make custom contacts with troughs and valleys at specific places on the eye where too much had been cut off and then the contacts would have to be put in aligned perfectly- aka impossible).

Basically, it’s cosmetic surgery but on your eyes, and if it goes wrong (although it’s rare), it can really really mess up your life. I’m sure her experience is just a wee bit biased of course. I’ve also known several friends who have had it and loved their results.

Good luck with whatever you decide. [/quote]

bad results are usually the results of back alley doctors and using the blade instead of the laser to create the flap.

I had PRK about 1.5 yrs ago. I know two people who received LASIK by the same doctor, and I have slightly better vision, about 20/15 compared to their slightly worse than 20/20. Also one still has halos at night over 2 years later. I’m sure the individuals eye’s have more to do with comparing myself and two others, but I believe PRK has a slightly better rate in terms of corrected vision after full healing of eye surgery, mainly due to the minor variations on how one’s flap heals after LASIK.

The problem with PRK is the long recovery time, and yes it can be a bit painful the first 2-3 days after. You need to plan at least one week off work/school; personally I needed 2 full weeks. It is also a bit scary the constant fluctuations in your visions for the first 3 months. You’ll probably need painkillers for the first week. Also you may experience a bit of dryness upon first waking for the first few months, as well as staying current with a strict regimen of drops that control the healing process.

In the end, I am glad I toughed it out and chose PRK over LASIK. Also, you may want to consider what physical activities you particpate in (such as martial arts) in regards to the flap created by LASIK. The flap can be torn open accidentally even years later.

In the end it was the best 3K I’ve ever spent. Some days I take my vision for granted, but other times I’m so very thankful of my now perfect vision.

Ya, i guess anyone who fights or performs in “violent” activities what probably prefer prk.

[quote]Theta1591 wrote:
I had PRK about 1.5 yrs ago. I know two people who received LASIK by the same doctor, and I have slightly better vision, about 20/15 compared to their slightly worse than 20/20. Also one still has halos at night over 2 years later. I’m sure the individuals eye’s have more to do with comparing myself and two others, but I believe PRK has a slightly better rate in terms of corrected vision after full healing of eye surgery, mainly due to the minor variations on how one’s flap heals after LASIK.

The problem with PRK is the long recovery time, and yes it can be a bit painful the first 2-3 days after. You need to plan at least one week off work/school; personally I needed 2 full weeks. It is also a bit scary the constant fluctuations in your visions for the first 3 months. You’ll probably need painkillers for the first week. Also you may experience a bit of dryness upon first waking for the first few months, as well as staying current with a strict regimen of drops that control the healing process.

In the end, I am glad I toughed it out and chose PRK over LASIK. Also, you may want to consider what physical activities you particpate in (such as martial arts) in regards to the flap created by LASIK. The flap can be torn open accidentally even years later.

In the end it was the best 3K I’ve ever spent. Some days I take my vision for granted, but other times I’m so very thankful of my now perfect vision. [/quote]

Lasik is considered the best and safest method. One main reason why Lasik is better than PRK is that mistakes that occur with Lasik can be corrected with further surgery. PRK - not so much.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
Ya, i guess anyone who fights or performs in “violent” activities what probably prefer prk.[/quote]

You would be very wrong…as usual.

Why is he wrong?

As per Wikipedia: “Unlike LASIK, PRK does not create the risk of dislocated corneal flaps which may occur (especially with trauma) at any time after LASIK.”

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
Why is he wrong?

As per Wikipedia: “Unlike LASIK, PRK does not create the risk of dislocated corneal flaps which may occur (especially with trauma) at any time after LASIK.”[/quote]

Sure, PRK does not create THAT risk; this statement is is misleading. The likelihood of the flap being ripped off is so negligible - especially after it heals.

Is is like saying your arm is more likely to fall off if you cut it off and it is sewed back on. The healing process makes it one unit again.

You have to look at the other side of the problem. PRK takes longer to heal and has more complications that can cause irreversible damage. It carries risks that are far more likely to happen, that can’t be corrected that are no there with Lasik. Also Lasik can provide a sharper 20/20 than PRK. PRK is going the way of the dino.

[quote]mmllcc wrote:
Ronsauce wrote:
Why is he wrong?

As per Wikipedia: “Unlike LASIK, PRK does not create the risk of dislocated corneal flaps which may occur (especially with trauma) at any time after LASIK.”

Sure, PRK does not create THAT risk; this statement is is misleading. The likelihood of the flap being ripped off is so negligible - especially after it heals.

Is is like saying your arm is more likely to fall off if you cut it off and it is sewed back on. The healing process makes it one unit again.

You have to look at the other side of the problem. PRK takes longer to heal and has more complications that can cause irreversible damage. It carries risks that are far more likely to happen, that can’t be corrected that are no there with Lasik. Also Lasik can provide a sharper 20/20 than PRK. PRK is going the way of the dino.[/quote]

The risk is there. Some one who fights often will face that alot more. I get my head kicked in on a weekly basis and it’s not unheard of to have your eye hit and see stars. I was speaking about someone who fights or has a chance of sustaining impact (minor or otherwise) to the eyes.

The wife and I both had it a few years ago, both love it. Some night halos for about a month after for me, none for her. I have one eye that occasionally gets dry and red, especially if I’ve been drinking, but some drops clear that right up.

I haven’t read through this thread yet, but…
Lasik is amazing. I had it done in late september. I 'm not sure what my vision was before, but I could barely make out the top “E”.

Now I have 20/15 vision, which is better than 20/20. My sister had it done about 5 years ago, and she sent me to her doctor, so I don’t know how to pick one exactly.

If you can get it, i’d say definately do so. It’s quick, painless, and makes a world of difference.
Oh, but no lifting for 4 - 6 weeks!

I’ve been putting it off for various reasons but will certainly have it done in the relatively near future.

And I do plan to pick a surgeon based on their athlete/celebrity client list. (not joking in the least)

[quote]mmllcc wrote:
Theta1591 wrote:

In the end it was the best 3K I’ve ever spent. Some days I take my vision for granted, but other times I’m so very thankful of my now perfect vision.

Lasik is considered the best and safest method. One main reason why Lasik is better than PRK is that mistakes that occur with Lasik can be corrected with further surgery. PRK - not so much.[/quote]

I’ve got a question about PRK/LASEK etc vs LASIK. With regards to the flap tearing possibility, that’s the main barrier towards me getting LASIK. I can’t really find an unbiased comparison of the two methods in terms of infection risk, correctability, etc, and also can’t find much on how long I’ll be out of the gym after PRK/LASEK vs LASIK, and so on.

The thought of the flap becoming detached worries me a fair amount, as I’m still young (22) and while my vision has been stable for years and I’ve been given the go ahead for laser surgery, I’m still weighing up the options as to which would be best for me. I don’t do contact sports/fighting at the moment, but I wouldn’t want to have to not do either in the future for fear of permanent corneal tearing etc.

Thanks for any help anyone.

Dan

I had PRK 3 years ago and my eyes are regressing already. There’s no guarantee your eyes won’t do the same either. Just keep that in mind.

My wife got blade-free lasik with her eye sight at 700/20 and 670/20.

She’s still amazed with the result. I think they have her at 30/20 in each eye as of her last check up which was 3 months ago (the check up was 1 month after the surgery).

I didn’t think she’d be able to get it with as bad as her eyes were, but she did and loves it.

Her eyes still get a little dry and itchy though. She has regular moisturizing eye drops that they said to put in the fridge and she said that helps a lot. She has to use the drops about once every 3 days now, just whenever it’s itchy and dry. At first, the drops were 2-3 times a day, along with an antibiotic drop.

[quote]danchubb wrote:

I’ve got a question about PRK/LASEK etc vs LASIK. With regards to the flap tearing possibility, that’s the main barrier towards me getting LASIK. I can’t really find an unbiased comparison of the two methods in terms of infection risk, correctability, etc, and also can’t find much on how long I’ll be out of the gym after PRK/LASEK vs LASIK, and so on.

The thought of the flap becoming detached worries me a fair amount, as I’m still young (22) and while my vision has been stable for years and I’ve been given the go ahead for laser surgery, I’m still weighing up the options as to which would be best for me. I don’t do contact sports/fighting at the moment, but I wouldn’t want to have to not do either in the future for fear of permanent corneal tearing etc.

Thanks for any help anyone.

Dan[/quote]

From what I’ve read and been told, the blade-free method is much more accurate and safe when it comes to creating the flap. The cutting laser will cut the flap the perfect amount, and if the eye moves at all, the laser automatically stops and re-adjusts immediately.

After the flap is replaced, it sticks itself back into place and with the drops they put in it has little to no chance of moving. They told my wife to lay in a semi-sitting position for the first night, with her head straight, and they give goggles to wear just in case you get the urge to rub them.

The itchiness is the one thing that has me worried, personally, for getting this done. I’m not sure I would have the will power not to touch my eyes when they itch and while it’s still healing.

Also, they are now boasting that the temporary halo people were seeing will hot happen at all with the new technology, BUT many clinics still are not using the latest technology (understandably so, after paying the incredible amounts for the equipment they’re currently using, it wouldn’t be worth it to just scrap the older stuff for the latest-greatest equipment).

The place my wife went to in Oklahoma City, OK was Clear Sight.
http://www.clearsight.com/

[quote]Theta1591 wrote:

In the end it was the best 3K I’ve ever spent. Some days I take my vision for granted, but other times I’m so very thankful of my now perfect vision. [/quote]

PRK is the way to go if you can afford to be blind for two weeks. I had it about 4 years ago and now I’m 20/15 in my left and 20/10 in my right. I got mine done by the same doc that did tiger woods - cost me 6K, but it’s your eyes, you know? I wasn’t even thinking about the money.